Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sonic Cleaning  (Read 4900 times)
Blind Pew
Rally attendee

Pioneer EX User Maplins Production

« on: January 24, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »

just popped into Aldis and they are selling a sonic cleaner for £15-00...what do you think about using one of these to clean silver coins and other eroded coins........... Cool
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:10:47 PM by Blind Pew » Logged

To be the Best just beat the Rest.........
Blind Pew
Rally attendee

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 04:10:08 PM »

Well Blind Pew...for 15 quid i would nip back down there and pick one up for that price...if it dont work then you can always give it to the Mrs for her rings..... Grin

Blind Pew
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »

Thanks for your reply BP i think i will.............. Cheesy

ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 04:28:52 PM »

??....... Think this guy will fit in well here Cheesy

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
markymark123

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin ;Dlol
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »

put all ur dirty coins in a basket near your hi fi speakers and blast mettalica at them for half an hour,does'nt clean the coins but it does p#ss the mrs right off lol.

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 05:09:13 PM »

A very good price BP but more for cleaning jewellery and other intricate finds rather than coins. yes it will get the dirt deposits off but the blackening on silver coins is silver sulphide and needs removing electrochemically (if you must). Eroded coins are just that "eroded" and no amount of cleaning is going to put back what has been lost. Remember that any form of cleaning (other than a rinse in water) is going to strip the surface of the find even if only microscopically.
And be very careful not to use the cleaner on anything delicate as it can and sometimes does, end up in a few pieces at the bottom of the tank.
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »

Along the same lines (sort of).
If you find a coin and show it to somebody, have you noticed how they invariably rub it between their thumb and forefinger... Arrrg.

Please don't do this.. I once did this to lovely vicky shilling I found and scratched the surface of her face. I only used a gentle motion so it doesn't take much.
Better to leave it until you get home or, do as I do now and carry a small container of soapy water and a toothbrush in the car. Even this can be fraught but you have to
make a choice as to how your going to clean at some point.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
jtalbot0001

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 10:49:07 PM »

Right well I thought I was going to do a separate post for this but may as well slap it on here. I have an Ultrasonic Cleaner, found one of the best George III Sixpence's and used that as a test, and was gutted at the results, and have never used it again since. But then for the price it is always handy to have. But the other reason I add to this post is, how would you clean this Roman coin I found yesterday, so annoyed its encrusted like this, as although you cant see anything, I reckon its near mint underneath, so want to do my best not to lift the detail off. I have soaked it overnight in distilled water, and brushed off as much of the dirt that was possible, the picture shows it in this state. I am now soaking it in olive oil just to see if this will help loosen the dirt further. But does anybody have any other ways that can help. Thanks, Jon

* coin.jpg (325.43 KB, 1088x1112 - viewed 1019 times.)

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »

Oh yuk jon, yep I've had them like that. Almost inland concretion. You can shift it by popping it in Phosphoric acid it will fizz as it eats up the lime that is holding the grime in place and you have to watch it. as soon as the fizzing stops you get it out.
If you go to a DIY or some builders merchants they sell it as Swarfega Metal Cleaner & Restorer

jtalbot0001

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:20:55 PM »

Hey Geoff, thanks for that, there is a hardware store opposite where I work, so will try there. Will this work for any metal, IE, I have a silver coin like this too, not Roman, its a Charles II Penny or Twopence, cant remember, but has the same kind of stuff on it. Never really cleaned it. Generally how long does it take, like 30 seconds or so?

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 11:38:42 PM »

Never had to use it on silver but it should be OK as it's a mild acid (I don't use gloves with it and my hands haven't fallen off yet lol) and silver being semi inert. I've cleaned Tombac buttons and buckles with it and they come up a treat.
You can also use it to kill rust as per you key and it will clean copper if you leave it long enough, though it eats the impurities which usually means if it's old you are left with a pitted coin but I'm talking about leaving it for hours.
Yes it takes between about 30 secs and 2 mins doesn't usually take any longer.

I haven't got a before and after pic so you will have to take my word for it but this one looked just as bad as your before giving it a quick soak.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:50:42 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 11:53:02 PM »

The other thing that works well but once again you have to keep an eye on and will only take a minute or so is Electrolysis.
jtalbot0001

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:00:17 AM »

Well if it comes like that then I will be well pleased, cause its pointless staying like as it is. Is that a Magnentius Coin or how ever you say his name. Thanks for your help Geoff. Will let you know how I get on!

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »

Well spotted, yes that's Mr Bigears himself.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:24:22 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal