Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: etrac newbie  (Read 3968 times)
welshdigger

« on: January 08, 2012, 12:55:27 AM »

hi guys and gals,
i bought an etrac earlier and WOW the manual and books it came with is a bit of a head spinner!!??
i think i got the just of it but im gonna give it a good field test tomoz and see what happens.
just popping in to say hi and if i get stuck hopefully one of you friendly etrac owners/pros will point me in the right direction.
happy hunting everyone!!

ps. if the people i met earlier are reading this soz i cant thank you but im usless with names lol
so........THANKS GUYS!! it was nice to chat to you all.
welshdigger

minelab etrac newbie
garrett pro pointer
lil yellow shovel
4 pack of red bull
 http://s1124.photobucket.com/profile/welshdigger1
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »

stick with the standard pre sets to start then as you get the hang of it you can make your own discrimination programs.a lot of so called experts use them in all metal mode but that will drive you nuts as a novice etrac owner,had mine a year and it is awsome but i still have'nt mastered it.i do mostly beaches so i have a favourite setting i use all the time but when it comes to inland detecting im like a novice again with it.
 good luck
  mike

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
welshdigger

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:26:22 AM »

your spot on mike ..the noises have been driving me crazy already lol
i been quite busy lately but i have been out twice with the etrac now and managed to find a pound coin, 5p and 2x 10p .....but sucked up hell of a lot more of foil and cans than my ace2150 did?
ended up having a banging head the first day cos of all the noises it was making so took the headphones out for half hour and i even had a mountain bike rider look over the wall and say "i had to look cos it was strange to hear sounds like that in the middle of nowhere" lol
it "it sounds like some alien is trying to make contact from mars or something" .
also i found that when i got a good signal the display said it was 6" deep and its really a gnats cock under the surface?
i didnt even need to dig just use my pinpointer.
tried the roman uk settings on two tone ferrous first day and ended up changing to coin and jewelry combined on multitones yesterday.
i must be doing something wrong? so im off out today for an hour somewhere where theres less trash so hopefully will get the hang of this beast soon.
also if theres any etrac owners locally that wouldnt mind me popping out with them for an hour or two to give me a quick lesson with this thing then that would be very much appreciated.

minelab etrac newbie
garrett pro pointer
lil yellow shovel
4 pack of red bull
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:07:11 PM »

It all sound very familiar lol
Unfortunately there is no easy way around it, most people take 6 months to get used to the tones but you have just got to hang in there. It's a little like riding a bike, at first you can't understand how it's possible then one day it all just slips into place.
You don't master an Etrac it masters you Cheesy
One thing though is to put in the program that works and STAY WITH IT if you keep changing between settings you will never learn.
If you send me your email address I'll email you what are accepted as the better settings for the UK. Not the easiest program but once you are used to it then you won't have to alter anything on 99% of sites including beaches.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:44:55 PM »

the depth gauge on only accurate on coin sized objects.you can have it show a target at 8 inches that turns out to be a minute bit of foil just under the surface or it can say 8 inches and you end up going down a foot to get a lead fishing weight.like geoff says stick with one program for now then experiment a bit later,had mine over a year and still not mastered it but its an awsome machine,if the gold is in range it lets me know,had rings at over a foot with it.persevere and you will reap the benefits.keep us posted on how your getting on.one more tip dont use deep recovery on and fast on at the same time because they cancel each other out aparently.
 good luck and welcome to the etrac club
  mike

gold = loads lol
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:51:30 PM »

Roman Ray recons that when you find a henry vIII the Etrac starts beeping the tune to greensleeves.... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 12:53:17 PM »

yeh and on trash it sound.s like the new westlife album..lol

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »

lmfao  Grin

gold = loads lol
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 01:04:02 PM »

Not got an e-trac here, but have had an Explorer II for many years, my friend has the E-trac, similar machine, I have tried it, it's a bit deeper and quite a lot quicker on recovery speed than the old Exploder. But I found the audio a bit muffled and the display was the wrong way round compared to what I was used to, so never changed. I tend to use a GMP mostly these days, but miss the display on times, as its a sound only machine, so still use the Explorer on times for deeper targets.  Its what you get used to to a large degree.  You have my sympathies with the Minelab sounds, as I remember my first time out with the Explorer LOL.  The secret is to listen for "flutey whoop whoops" through all that other ear bashing and try and concentrate on those.  

Foil on the Explorer gives a cursor position tight to the bottom line, low conductivity position, but if it kicks up a fraction then always dig it or you'll be missing hammereds... you'll also dig plenty of thicker and folded foil though (Mr.Kiplin's revenge !)

The cursor position is a great guide. If it's a solid repeatable position sweep after sweep its a pretty pure target, if it jumps around a lot, it isn't and is probably cr*p...  but depending on the sweetness of the whoop whoop you have to make the call on whether to dig or not...  Some objects give a cr*p sound but can be worth digging, most of my roman brooches have fallen into this category.  It's all down to interpretation and a large percentage of luck LOL.

Also if the display says 6" but you get to 10" and haven't found it, its probably a Fosters tin at 14" or a buried nissan micra...  (or a taget in the side wall of the hole, use a pinpointer or enlarge the hole).  Conversely if the display says 6" but you lose the signal after removing only a 4" deep plug then it's probably sommat small and closer to the surface, this is a much better scenario than the buried nissan as it could well be something tiny and interesting...  worth spending 10 minutes rooting around in the plug for, I got my only cut quarter so far, of 12th century vintage that way...   The depth indicator is only an estimate and is only good for an average coin sized object.

I run my old Explorer in manual sensitivity and just a bit of iron mask, you'll get used to filtering out the sounds in the end, as Chef says it takes about 6 months to learn it properly.

Stick with it, it's a very good machine and worth the effort, my advice is use headphones or you'll miss the subtle tones and faint signals without them.

Good luck !

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »

I've been using the e-trac for a little while now but the land I currently work on isn't producing anything other than junk. I dig all two way signals
and clean sounds but its difficult to know what's what in the ground if all your ever getting is c**p. You don't get to hear the other sounds.
Perhaps someone might put together a vid of what finds sound like before digging them up. Someone working on land that is know to be productive
within a certain sphere of history.

Beaches = Gold
Farmland = Coins/Artifacts

I've watched the Gordon Heritage vid where he's disappointed because he only found 32 roman coins!!!! Try coming down to my farm bro, I'll show you
diappointment.  Cheesy 
That vid was very helpful as he was recording sounds as he was finding. He also gave a brief rundown on settings but didn't cover all bases.
Any help on sounds would be of great help to many people I'm sure. 

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 05:53:25 PM »

And another thing. Forget loverley clean two way signals, sure dig them of course - but if you dont dig the dodgy one ways (Dont know if youre using Ferrous or conduct here)  You aint going to be getting the cut halfs, quarters, some fibulas, many roman grots and small coins on their edges  Smiley

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
welshdigger

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 06:00:46 PM »

thanks for the tips guys.
think im getting the hang of it slowly  Huh
just had a few hours out on my local field and i managed to get a 1929 one penny,a 1939 half penny an old gate chain and a button  Wink
i find im getting alot of signals that dissapear?
oh and my garrett probe seems to be a coal magnet lol

minelab etrac newbie
garrett pro pointer
lil yellow shovel
4 pack of red bull

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal