Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Me and my 9 year old fanatic  (Read 2327 times)
Asbestos Crocodile
Rally attendee

« on: January 26, 2012, 07:55:06 AM »

Hi all,
After getting my daughter a metal detector last year, we have been out about 4 times with it..
The weather is usually abysmal, and the farmers around here are mostly unco-operative.
Dont fancy the Idea of her trawling beaches at night with her, or in daylight as I understand people give u rubbish for it.

Can anyone give me some input in regards to where to start, or how to go about asking locals if I can scan their land etc,
Either way she has the bug, her first find was in her grandads flower bed and she got a 1918 penny, big deal for me and her lol!!
Any input is appreciated.
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 08:07:01 AM »

Hi Asbestos & Co
                           I too have an enthusiastic child, my son is 8 although we have only been in the Hobbie for a few weeks he loves it, i have secured two permissions one is 15 miles away but that was through chance really when they phoned me up for some work to be done on their caravan!!!

I have approached one farm where they said they dont allow anyone on their land, not just metal detectorists, they were polite aswell.

And also i secured another permission the other day just by speaking to friends who mentioned a name, gave me the number and i asked. He was very accomodating as he already has two dectorists who have patches on his land!!!(bearing in mind he has acres upon acres!!) he has a field in mind for me to start in, and also thinks one of the other guys will be giving the hobby up soon and i will be able to have his patch!!

As with finds we have found a few coins, thimble, part of an edwardian door bell, barrell tap keyway, penknife,buttons, and the prize find was a silver pocket watch last sunday.

So my personal opinion is If you dont ask you dont get, maybe a bit of networking in your local wouldnt go a miss, we all know how farmers like a drink!!!!! Grin

Kind regards
Nick

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 09:53:05 AM »

Hi A.C.

Beach detecting isn't a problem if you use your common sense. Yes if you go round prople, when they're Sun bathing in the Summer, you'll get told where to go, and who'd blame them.
Pick you times, when it's quiet, watch the tide times, start at the bottom of the beach. That way folks see you and get used to you as you work your way up. Mostly, you'll find they are interested and will ALWAYS ask 'Have you found any treasure yet?'  Little ones always ask 'What are you looking for ?'  I've had lots of fun with the same answer,  PIRATE TREASURE. That always gets  kids going and Mom and Dad smiling.
Even if you only find crud nothing is better than the beach when the weather is half decent. The sound of  Sea Gulls calling and the lapping of the waves,   great.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »

Re. Beach work.

Stick to the wet sand if there are lots of people around and only work the dry stuff when people begin to go home or the weather
is iffy. That way you'll have days of hassle free fun.
As far as farms are concerned, take you daughter with you to show them that your legitimate. Take what finds you already have with you to show them the types
of things your looking for but be polite even if the answer is no. Its their land and livelihood so you have to understand them wanting to look after it.

Good Luck

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal