Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: help please  (Read 6103 times)
adt69

« on: January 06, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »

my garrett ace 250 has arrived today  Grin im going to try it out on some land later any tips on what setting to have it on.
also it come with two coil which one do i use.
cheers..
alan...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:28:47 PM by adt69 » Logged
Night Nurse
Rally attendee

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:42:35 PM »

Not knowing the details of coils, I'd use the larger of the two. Put it into coins mode and try to sweep thw coil evenly in an arc in front of you as your walking slowly. The head should be as close to the ground as possible to get the best effect. You can experiment at a later time, just go out and get the feel of the machine today. 
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »

Not knowing the details of coils, I'd use the larger of the two. Put it into coins mode and try to sweep thw coil evenly in an arc in front of you as your walking slowly. The head should be as close to the ground as possible to get the best effect. You can experiment at a later time, just go out and get the feel of the machine today. 

Don't put your head too close to the ground or your nose will get muddy!  Grin

However, you can keep the coil close to the ground. The larger coil is ideal on pasture land with the smaller for
stubble and iron infested areas.

welshdigger

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:41:06 PM »

hi, on my ace 250 i used the relic settings and the power 2 bars from the top and dug everything!! ;-)
you will find a good few bits and bobs in that setting and its a cracking little machine.
happy hunting

minelab etrac newbie
garrett pro pointer
lil yellow shovel
4 pack of red bull
 http://s1124.photobucket.com/profile/welshdigger1
adt69

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 04:10:36 PM »

hello all
i went out today with my garrett and found a silver 6 pence and a few modern coins, i had a problem with the pinpoint i just couldnt work it out digging big holes and still not finding what was there, also sometimes i would get a just a single beep go back over the area and nothing would happen what would cause that
when swinging the detector left to right i would get a high beep one way then a low tone in the other direction?.
cheers..
alan...
benny

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 08:53:27 PM »

Never used a Garret sorry,but sometimes bumping the searchcoil against things can cause a false signal,also the sensitivity could be set too high and the mineralisation is interfering with the detector. And if you're wearing steel toe cap boots then thats your problem! ;DSeriously,the best way to learn the basics of a detector is to just get out as much as your allowed and practice!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 09:08:04 PM »

Very sound words there from Benny and no one knows more about..um? uh? ur? Home-brew than Benny lol No Benny knows his stuff and as he says it is probably the sensitivity is just that little bit high, you can either turn it down or only dig the repeatable two way signals.
benny

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 09:46:39 PM »

And I make a nice curry! Cheers for the recipe Geoff!
markymark123

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »

usually when you get the single beep then nothing it's iron  Smiley at first i dug everything to learn the tones  Cheesy
Dusty

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 12:01:33 AM »

My Garrett loved coins, bit of a tart really - any coin would do!  Grin
Whiteduke

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »

I lent my garret to a friend yesterday,he had the same problem as you adt69
after he dug 2 trenches and found nothing Cry ,we lowered the sensitivity as Benny
pointed out and it worked fine Smiley

Didn't find much, but there was something in the hole at least.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »

they love silver sixpences,when i had mine i went to a n old local footpath and found loads of pre decimal coins.check out a guy on you tube called crackbadger if you intent to use on a beach.hes a bit of a plonka but bear with him lol.he certainly knows how to find gold rings.
 good luck
  mike

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
adt69

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 07:01:44 PM »

hello all
i went out today found a farthing date 1805 and a few 303 bullets a very large horse show and a pound coin, what i did notice was the pound coin and a pice of aluminum was giving the same ping same as the bullets and  one of my wifes gold rings, how do you know what to dig??? .
what is the best stting to have it on.
cheers..
alan...
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 12:29:57 PM »

the only way you wont lay in bed at night wondering if you should have dug that target mate is to dig it in the first place. As you go on ,you will learn how your machine responds to certain coins , cans , bottle tops etc etc...... we all dig them mate no matter how experienced we get we will still be digging rubbish up but thats part of the fun i think .....get a good signal then dig it only to find its a broken bottle, but then 10 feet away getting another good signal and your ready for another bottle top but its a silver shilling this time......

Ive been using a garret 250 mate , its an excellent machine and will give you hours of enjoyment ( and frustration  Roll Eyes )   I only discrim the first 2 bars but still end up with iron after getting those dodgy signals ....... on the fields i tend to have the sensitivity 2 bars from the top but as i walk under power lines or a mast i may need to turn the sensitivity down a touch more...... same on wet sand mate , turn the sens down a bit if the machine goes nuts in your ears  Wink

Happy hunting mate

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
The Ferret

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »

Hi mate also this might help you using the pinpoint function

I have used the Euro since July last year and get out scanning around 20 hours per week with it. Beach and Land. First of all when you hit a good signal, put the coil next to the target NOT over it, Must be place on the ground too. Then press the pinpoint and hold it whilst slowly going ove the target. the signal and sound will step up as you get closer now when its reach full signal and loud you are on top of it. Now do the same but at 90 deg untill you get the same signal and loud tone. The pinpoint target is the little hole just above the screw fixing in the coil THAT's the sight..
Hope this helps guys
TF

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal