Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: upgrade?  (Read 7865 times)
archie

« on: November 28, 2011, 08:21:43 PM »

okay, heres a 'how long is a piece of string' question - I use an Ace 250 at the moment, and am seriously thinking of upgrading. thing is that I wont be sure on the amount of money I will have to play with (prob about £300) until after january. I may trade in the ace, but difficult as it was a gift in the first place.
I look at the pics in the mags, but the choice just becomes blurred.  I only detect on farmland, as have had no luck with the ace on beaches.
I know from being a member of detecting wales that there is a lot of experience of numerous machines amongst the members, I just need a bit of guidance on the best value for money machines.
I am afraid I cant really handle a MD that is too heavy as only the use of one arm.
I know its a question with a million answers but any help would be appreciated Undecided

started with an Ace 250 now upgraded to F75
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 08:23:41 PM »

i'd take a look at the good secondhand minelab xterra range.

easy to use, light and very effective

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 08:28:25 PM »

If you don't mind an older machine with incredible pasture depth - I bought my Minelab Explorer II for £300.

It takes a while to get used to, but was around £1000 new and moves you straight into a serious detecting machine.

Stick a post up on here asking for one. In the days before DW I did the same on another forum and had 3 offers for sale all around the £300 mark.

Hope that helps

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
shunggav

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 08:32:15 PM »

hi i have  a white mxt for sale its a very good detector a quite light has a beach mode and but   as neil said the exp 11 is good but u need arms like rambo to use it all day

The chicken came first – God would look silly sitting on an egg...... if u like me add me on facebook........ gavin  warren
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:39:24 PM »

I agree with Gav the EX II is ane of the heaviest machines out there so is not even worth considering. The Whites MXT that he has for sale is a very sensitive machine and great on hammered coins and has the beauty of working of the beach should you venture there. At that price it is a true bargain and if Christmas wasn't fast approaching then I would of snatched it off him straight away.
Google it and read the write ups.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:51:12 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »

Explorer xs on ebay for £ 280.00 . good luck with the upgrade.Nap
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 09:03:47 PM »

Re. the difficulty because the Garrett was a pressi..
Tell whoever bought it for you that by selling it, you'll be to get a machine with more functions. All bases covered..  Cheesy Cheesy

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
JRD

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 09:26:35 PM »

I would look at a second hand Fisher F75 or a Teknetics T2 both very good machines, and very light. I got a T2 myself traded in the ETrac because of the weight issue and have never looked back.

No good really on the beach but as you said you are looking for inland detecting.

wyrd bið ful aræd - Fate is inexorable
archie

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:51 PM »

cheers all, thanks for the info so far, looks like I am going to do a lot of read-ups Cheesy

started with an Ace 250 now upgraded to F75
romano-brit

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 01:40:59 PM »

defo go for an explr11 youd be mad not to, as for the weight it only takes a few trips out to get used to it, i can go 8 - 9 hours with mine

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »

Everybody complains about the weight of the etrac.. I picked it up for the first time and thought 'what on earth are they talking about' - its not that heavy. As Romano-brit has said,
you'll soon get used to it even if it is heavier than your current machine.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »

ever since i got my explorer i have used a bungee harness....now some are restrictive but, the one i use all the time now is superb...plenty of freedom and swing and maximum support......it looks like a dogs lead, but with a bigger loop that one arm slips through and the rest goes behind your neck and hangs down on the side you wish to attach to the tector (right hand or left ).....i can swing for hour after hour and feel no effects at all......they are on ebay for £14.49p....thouroughly recommended........ Wink........byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 07:42:27 AM »

Have a look at Teknetics Omega 8000. It operates on 8 kHz which is a good general search frequency, is light, simple to use, nice screen and will work on the beach.

A friend uses it and has cut hammered's, and various other sized shapes/sizes finds.

An excellent alternative to the Minelab stable and one I'd use if I wasn't happy with my fairy stick!

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »

how long is a piece of string question = twice the length from the middle to the ends.
 shimples Grin

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
welshdigger

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 02:57:18 PM »

im in the same boat as you archie.
i got an ace250 and £300-£400 to spend on a new detector but not sure what to go for?
looking towards saving abit more and getting a minelab safari or e-trac but reading about them they seem a little tricky to use for a newbie?
so have you decided on what your going for next?
fisher f5? teknetics omega 8000? minelab x-terra 705?

minelab etrac newbie
garrett pro pointer
lil yellow shovel
4 pack of red bull
 http://s1124.photobucket.com/profile/welshdigger1

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal