Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: modified cscope CS4PI  (Read 11270 times)
jmhammered

« on: November 13, 2011, 08:33:37 AM »

latest cs4pi with new 10" black coil, has been modified, the hard wired coil has been removed incorporating a new 8" loop coil interchangeable with the 10",professionally done by a company in Newport ,mod cost£250,1 hour tested, in perfect new condition
this would cost £495 full warranty ,£400 or  nearest offer

* nautilus 029.jpg (43.86 KB, 640x427 - viewed 795 times.)

* nautilus 027.jpg (60.45 KB, 640x427 - viewed 892 times.)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:33:51 AM »

What socket type has been fitted, Whites, Minelab etc?
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:41:44 PM »

LOL. Ummmm urrr. well that's not quite what I meant Cheesy any chance of finding out which fitting it has?
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 03:10:22 PM »

Yes I may be interested but that is just a picture of a plug, it could be a 3 pin DIn, a 5 Pin Din or a coax, without knowing it limits the possibilities for the machines as there is so little difference between a 8 and 10 inch coil on a Pi machine.
Also what other mod was included for the £250? a plug and socket mod would only account for about £30?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:12:46 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
diggerdave1

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 03:30:46 PM »

Hi..chef...

These modifications for  cscopes are done by G-tec...they advertise sell there products,upgrades.  mainly on ebay...for many different c.scope models.....The 10inch coil for the 4pi...advertised on there site is a negative buoyancy coil for in the surf...being the difference between the standard 8inch polo...hope this helps Grin
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 04:51:26 PM »

Thanks Dave that explains a few things.

Excuse me JMH, you may have put it up for sale but as it's £400 and not 40p then I think you should be prepared to answer a couple of simple, and what were innocent, questions as I'm sure the mod has been made to incorporate the addition of more coils and as the Whites TDI or Minelab commander coils are the ones that most people change to, I was just asking which one.
This Machine would only cost £290 un-moded and the addition of only a negative buoyancy coil for wading on a non waterproof machine would seem a bit ridiculous. Especially as Cscope could actually refuse to repair a modded machine even out of warranty (any original warranty would be null and void anyway)
Mother board? It's a metal detector Roll Eyes

So JMH, what could have been a simple answer on your part has turned into a dissection of the modification to show that without an interchangeable system, it is a waste of money.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:59:11 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Sewin
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »

On http://www.gigaworld.co.uk/products/view/1375 a new one is £229.99

And ditto everything Geoff said.

I have seen these modifications on ebay and was gobsmacked at the fee. 

If you've walked over it, you've missed it! Unless you're walking backwards.  Think about it.
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 11:04:23 AM »

did you throw in the free handbag Roll Eyes..... Cheesy

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 12:28:15 PM »

Although I know this to be an old topic, it set me thinking!

a: I bet Tony Perez of the Isle of White could do the modification far cheaper.

b: As an owner of a C-Scope CS4PI, and if I went down that road; which
                        coils would be the best to pair up with the CS4PI?                   

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Cymro

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 12:50:12 PM »

b: As an owner of a C-Scope CS4PI, and if I went down that road; which
                        coils would be the best to pair up with the CS4PI?                  

Depends if you're talking commercially available coils or 'home brewed . . . '

The performance of the coil is dependent on two variables; its inductance and its resistance. These parameters can be measured and a coil could be made to match very cheaply (couple of quid . . . ) if you leave the internal circuitry of the detector alone. Change either the inductance or the resistance (or both) and you'd probably need to modify the tank circuit at the detector's output stage. Not a big job - it's only a matter of changing a resistor but needs an oscilloscope to get its value right.

However, other variables come into play - the first is the size of the coil and the second its shape. I could go into more detail but it can get very dry . . . In general though, larger coil = more depth - but at the expense of sensitivity to small targets.

I wasn't even aware that anybody produced alternative coils for the CS4PI commercially.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:37:29 PM by Cymro » Logged
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 01:32:44 PM »

Ah ha you just sailed over my head!  Grin  Thanks for replying though.

My CS4PI is in mothballs at the moment but I may break it out again if a proposed section of the Talacre sands prove to be as free from WWII scrap as I suspect they may be. Let's see what transpires when I swing the Safari over the area on Tuesday; weather permitting.  Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Cymro

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 02:00:56 PM »

Ah ha you just sailed over my head!  Grin  Thanks for replying though.

OK then - once again in English . . .

PI coils are a very simple affair - it its lowest level it's just 'n' turns of copper wire on a former. It will exhibit two electrical characteristics - inductance and resistance. I've got an inductance meter which can measure the inductance (surprise!) and a bog-standard multimeter which can measure its resistance.

You could wind a coil to suit your own purposes - so long as the inductance and resistance are the same as the original it *will* work. So you could make an 18" coil for more depth - which is what most people are after in a PI - just match its values to the original.

The detector will have been designed to work with a coil with these characteristics but it is possible to alter part of the detector's circuitry to work with other values too. Just needs an oscilloscope (which I do have but not a very good one . . .)

Better?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:13:39 PM by Cymro » Logged
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 04:45:19 PM »

Yep!  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal