Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW.  (Read 7839 times)
Mike
Superhero Member

« on: November 03, 2011, 04:56:43 PM »

last week at the swansea rally a very nice artifact turned up found by griffmeister , as it turned out its a replica / reproduction and unfortunately not the real deal .

it appears there are many such items readily available on ebay etc and it has been suggested that the item was planted or taken to the rally on the day .

PLEASE NOTE I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF ANY SUCH GOINGS ON AND I CAN ASSURE YOU I WOULD NEVER TAKE PART IN SUCH A SCAM , IF INDEED THATS WHAT IT IS .

MY ONLY INVOLVEMENT WITH THIS MATTER IS THE THREAD AND PHOTO'S I POSTED .

TTHANKS , MIKE

* IMG_1298.JPG (214.68 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 1092 times.)

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Jeb

from the N Wales Mountains

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »

Tis a shame I know but sorry to say ,I did say so on the second page of the original thread .>>>>
  " However sorry to pi$$ on the finders parade but ,I`ve seen  modern day Brass fakes with the verdigris looking just like that (patchy)and it makes me wonder. "

Heaven won`t take me, and Hells afraid I`ll take over.
Jassy
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »

if it was a "set up" then whoever it was have had their fun now.I think its a lovely item all the same!!!!!

Everything happens for a reason.....
Whiteduke

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »

A good prank, if it was,but maybe it should have ended the same time as the rally.
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »

mike,sorry to hear that mate it looked great,but if someone did do that they must have a sick sense of humour and mentally unstable that's my opinion.viv
Metalmickey

Fisher F75 User.Some Men are Wise, Some Otherwise!

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »

Precidely one of the reasons i attend few rallies, people seeding & taking along Ebay buys to up their own twisted ego !  Undecided

If you want to understand today, you have to search for yesterday !!
jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »

i agree with metalmickey on a recent dig a gentleman showed me a silver denarius i asked were he found it he pointed to another field so went over to it found nothing,At the end of the day at the finds table asked the the fella there has anyone seen the denarius and i gave a descripsion of the guy and he said he`s done it before he brings finds to digs and tells everyone he found them on the day Sad why do it its just a sad thing to do if the person on here or if anyone knows this person they should be banned from the site and further digs for a year Smiley just for putting the finder of the fake horse through the mill end of rant lol

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
waltonbasinman
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »

It is also a horrible feeling when you know it happens. I happened to grid a section of ground after finding two modern silvers at the Kinnersley rally and did this for a good twenty minutes covering a piece of ground about 15 x 15 feet in the search for more. Found no more and stopped about 10 foot away when someone I knew came in the field and I know them well enough to have regular conversations switched their tector on and right in the middle where you could see a mass of footprints where I had just grided dug a two / three inch hole and turned round with a nice artifact in their hand. No  Way......... I am very disappointed but what can you do. Their is no way Of stopping this practice but why people feel the need to do this is beyond me. It is one of many occasions I have been suspicious of the practice and in no way paints a picture of Organisers and fellow honest detectorists but as a member of Detecting wales which promotes the safe honest reporting of finds It is good to see we can police ourselves and make this site as honest as possible.
Jeb

from the N Wales Mountains

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »

Guys ! its been going on for Donkeys years on Rallys and in your local Club find of the month tables.  There will Always be the few oddballs that for some reason cannot bear not being able to genuinly put something up which they`ve genuinley found , so ! they resort to buying the item in and presenting it "as found".  Its sad I know , but its a fact of life . They are little people craving attention and recognition.
  On the other hand there are the pranksters who love taking " plants" along to Rallys or digs and planting them to fool or set up some one.  Jokers who don`t have anything better to do .
Unfortunately a " Hobby hazard ". Grin
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:29:03 PM by Jeb » Logged

Heaven won`t take me, and Hells afraid I`ll take over.
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »

Its not just his hobby. I remember playing a game of golf and watched a 'senior member' pick up a ball to clean it, it was about 11 inches from the hole. He then replaced the ball about 8 inches from the hole. Obviously he didn't realize he was being watched but just goes to show.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
romano-brit

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 10:29:28 PM »

sorry but is it just me or is it way to clean to be out of the filed, for one theres no patana on it and the brass/bronze is far to shiny

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 11:29:51 PM »

Mike , still a stunning find , regarding the prank its not nice but you always get one who will do it sad but thats the way it goes , lol i like the response about people saying ohhh i had this and that on rallie where nothing was find but you always say ohh welldone even if the patina is completly different to the soil , so now i am talking to the one who plant things add few sovereign or hammered be much appreciated , eventually the people who organise rallies will get fed up about this sort of rubbish and they will stop finding land and i dont blame them at all . Respect and detect all. Nap .
staterchaser

Always expect the unexpected!

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 12:05:32 AM »

It's unfortunate that you got caught up in this prank Mike. I'm not the only one who has caught people out with their so called finds.They are just glory hunters in their sad little world. Instead of telling them I have sussed them out I say nothing, not worth it.
A classic example was a south Wales detectorist a few years ago was telling all of his magnificent bronze torc which he had found. Keen to see a picture he sent it to another detectorist. What the dipstick didnt realise was that the info html embeded in the file was still in the photograph. Once double clicked took you straight to the ebay page where he had bought it.  Cheesy Grin Cheesy
There has been some interesting pics on this site also, youd be surprised what info is hidden in the file. A picture tells a thousand words.  Wink
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:07:43 AM by staterchaser » Logged

I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I'm a drunk we go to parties!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 12:22:39 AM »

And time and dates Grin
Glad it's not just me that sometimes checks Ceri Wink
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 12:29:40 AM »

Even down to the make and model of camera  Roll Eyes

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal