Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bredon Hoard  (Read 3733 times)
avalon

« on: October 31, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »

It amazes me whenever someone finds a hoard there is always someone ready to stir up trouble, for whatever reason, whether it’s jealousy or just envy. This was copied from the Gloucestershire Echo on Saturday in the comment’s section.

Now this person is obviously a detectorist, and should know there have been many hoards found with more than three emperors present in the collection. He also states he has found Roman hoards over a period of 40 years, which is strange because I don’t recall his name cropping up anywhere in the County, in fact cannot find any record of him, and were these hoards he found recorded.

He would also like to see soil samples taken from the coins and the field, this sounds more like something Paul the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants would say than a detectorist.

I would also say the reason why the site has not been disclosed, is to deter would be nighthawkers.

It also turns out I know the person quite well who found them, and heard first hand how they were discovered and I have no reason to doubt him, oh! and  he is also a member on Detecting Wales , but is too shy to come forward.  Smiley

Story of Roman coins does not ring true

The story on page 2 of the Echo on October 19th regarding the metal detectorist find of 3,700 roman coins on Bredon Hill, Worcestershire, on farmland does not somehow ring true.
I, myself with two colleagues have found over a period of 40 years Roman coin hoards and many thousands of individual coins within the ploughed soil which are insignificant to archaeologists because they are unstratified.
The hoards we have discovered very seldom exceed the life of three emperors. It is therefore very unlikely a Roman/British inhabitant would save coins of different emperors then hand them down to his/her descendants to collect and bury them 100 years later ( for whatever reason) Also, it was stated the actual find site will not be disclosed-why not?   

I would suggest soil samples taken from the coins and also a soil sample from the alleged field.

Brian Dodwell
Cheltenham

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 05:40:48 PM »

probably the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants back from the dead ,it is halloween lol

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 05:48:33 PM »

Yes, it does sound like somene stirring up trouble. I wonder if the paper checked the identity?

As I understand, the finder left the hoard for the archaeologists to excavate?

Also, IF the writer had found a hoard he would know that the site is excavated and samples are
taken as a matter of course.

Why not 3 emperors? Some didn't last long!

This makes me suspect it is not a genuine complainant.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal