Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Poll
Question: how long have you been detecting
less than a year
1 to 5 years
5 to 10 years
10 to 15 years
15 to 20 years
20 years +

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: METAL DETECTING  (Read 1774 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: October 28, 2011, 01:56:26 PM »

this have may have come up before on here  Huh ,but as there is a lot of new members not long started it will be in interesting to see how long all have been detecting. Wink
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 03:03:54 PM »

Been detecting since 1962 lol so almost 50 years Kev Shocked

Greetings from the Dragon.
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »

50 years  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

didnt realise they made tectors that long ago

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 04:45:18 PM »

50 years  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

didnt realise they made tectors that long ago
Made by a radio ham friend of mine from Blackwood out of a design for a very basic
BFO detector out of the practical wireless magazine very heath robinson,,,lol
No faraday shielding and every time you brushed it against grass it sounded off,
in the wet the moisture as you moved it set it off.
Maximum depth on pre decimal pennies was two inches lol
So moved on a bit since then

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »

I am genuinely interested Paul in the early days of detecting - what sort of finds were you making and at what sort of depth?

I know a few people made an absolute fortune off the beaches in the late 70's as at that point they were virtually untouched.

Interesting topic

cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 04:52:20 PM »

History of the Metal Detector
Alexander Graham Bell invented the first crude metal detector in 1881
By Mary Bellis, About.com Guide
See More About:metal detectoralexander graham bellforensicIn 1925, Gerhard Fischar invented a portable metal detector.

Inventors
In 1881, Alexander Graham Bell invented the first metal detector. As President James Garfield lay dying of an assassin's bullet, Alexander Graham Bell hurriedly invented a crude metal detector in an unsuccessful attempt to locate the fatal slug. Bell's metal detector was an electromagnetic device he called the induction balance

Gerhard Fischar - Portable Metal Detector
In 1925, Gerhard Fischar invented a portable metal detector. Fischar's model was first sold commercially in 1931 and Gerhard Fischar was behind the first large-scale production of metal detectors.
According to the experts at A&S Company: "In the late 1920's, Dr. Gerhard Fisher, the founder of Fisher Research Laboratory was commissioned as a research engineer with the Federal Telegraph Co. and Western Air Express to develop airborne direction finding equipment. He was awarded some of the first patents issued in the field of airborne direction finding by means of radio. In the course of his work, he encountered some strange errors and once he solved these problems, he had the foresight to apply the solution to a completely unrelated field, that of metal and mineral detection.
Further Developments
The modern metal detector is not Fisher's version. Over the years, people have been developing the technology, as metal detectors have been used for treasure hunting and other various purposes. During World War II, there came a need for land mine detectors. In turn, the government instructed manufacturers to conduct more research for this technology to be used effectively. During the war, a large number of these units were bought.
When the war finally came to an end, the surplus manufactured was sold to the public and was used to hunt for buried gold and silver.

After the War
During the 1980s, the metal detector's accuracy was developed along with its ability to identify types of metals detected by its transmitting field. As time went by, the size of the metal detector shrunk considerably, making them even more user-friendly and portable.
Modern metal detectors now have the ability to pinpoint their targets, measure the depth of the metal's location, and even inform the user on the nature of the metal. Further developments have been made to make the technology more sophisticated, thus increasing its possibilities of application.

Read more: History of the Metal Detector | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5068709_history-metal-detector.html#ixzz1c66DKMsr

In 1925, Gerhard Fischar invented a portable metal detector.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:13:59 PM by Casa-Dos (kev) » Logged
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 05:13:10 PM »

Oh well I feel like a veritable newby in comparison to Paul Cheesy it was 33 years 1978 that I bought a Whites Beachcomber from  ???Gwyns bring and buy Huh in Newport. Obviously predecimal was the common find and pennies were all over the place (only had decimal 7 years), Weston beach was awash with silver 6d and 3d with rings being just as difficult to find though. Some things never change as back then the must have detector was an Arado 120. Ahhhh halcyon days Wink
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 08:22:10 AM »

Oh well I feel like a veritable newby in comparison to Paul Cheesy it was 33 years 1978 that I bought a Whites Beachcomber from  ???Gwyns bring and buy Huh in Newport. Obviously predecimal was the common find and pennies were all over the place (only had decimal 7 years), Weston beach was awash with silver 6d and 3d with rings being just as difficult to find though. Some things never change as back then the must have detector was an Arado 120. Ahhhh halcyon days Wink
Was it a 50Th Birthday pressie Geoff lol  Grin Grin Grin 

dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »

I am genuinely interested Paul in the early days of detecting - what sort of finds were you making and at what sort of depth?

I know a few people made an absolute fortune off the beaches in the late 70's as at that point they were virtually untouched.

Interesting topic

cheers
Neil
ok Neil will start a new thread so as not too disrupt this one PaulB.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal