Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: best camera phone for field recording  (Read 7221 times)
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« on: October 27, 2011, 11:19:33 PM »

I am looking for a bit of advice on mobiles with camera and GPS facility. I do a lot of field walking and on my busy flint sites it would be a lot easier if I photo and GPS tag each artifact as I find them. Then when I get home it is simple process of transferring data to my records.
 I have done some basic asking around high street phone shops, but obviously they will only want to sell latest models and at £150ish is a bit expensive for this exercise. As I gather the options so far are new smart phone with geotaging ,downsides my main search areas are signal bad/black spots so Android based OS are a no brainer. (need constant updating and dont like losing signal) and would be to costly to run on P A Y G . orange or vodaphone (only systems available round here).
Has anybody got any suggestions for older model phones that may come close to what I want to do
Cheers Ian
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 11:47:50 PM »

Ian I think as you say the price is going to be upward of £150 especially with the macro facility you would need. I'm not sure if you have thought about the system I use which is a "photo logger" I turn it on when I start detecting (battery lasts well over a day) and just take my "clod shots" as normal, then when I down load my photos I also download my track log which the software will tag to the corresponding photograph. The end result is that you don't have to fiddle with tagging  or inputting waypoints in the field and you can use your normal camera so far better quality results.
This is the unit I use;
http://www.maplin.co.uk/gps-travel-tracker-227620

Obviously if you're after a new phone anyway then this suggestion is about as useful as a chocolate teapot Grin
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:50:22 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 11:49:46 PM »

Horses for course In my opinion.

I think to do any aspect justice you need to have dedicated equipment. Not only are you expecting a phone to take
good quality images but it would really need to be capable of quality close-up work and also have flash facility!
You'd probably be better off getting a good compact camera and a 'Memory Map' Unit like the ADV 350 which will give you precise
map locations on 25:000 maps which you can then upload to your computer.

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/adventurerGPS/index.php/adventurer-3500.html

Mike

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 12:09:14 AM »

Sorry mike but that is a stupid amount of money for a recording device, as Ian has said "£150ish is a bit expensive for this exercise" so £300 is not really going to fit the bill. If you were willing to spend a bit more then rather than either of these suggestions then I would be inclined to buy a Panasonic TZ10 camera which comes with a GPS logger built in, it has a Leica Elmar lens so the resolution is about as good as it gets and can be bought for around £180.
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 12:59:14 AM »

If you want good GPS positioning on a phone, the iphone 3 will run google earth with pretty good accuracy. There are loads of apps with gps add ons and conversion to OS coordinates. So far I have found it doesnt deviate by more that 5 feet if the reception is good and it can update correctly. Photos are good quality and it can record video which would allow a panoramic view and line of site positioning.

You can even record an account of extended digs for hoards etc and stream it on to youtube.

I use a 3 broadband dongle when I am out too which means you can email yourself photos so they dont get lost or out of sequence. Having broadband in the middle of a field is pretty wierd I know but it adds a bit of dash to my records.

I have recently moved up to the iphone 4 which is no more expensive with the contract I have with orange than my old iphone. My missus has pinched it now so I cant offer it for sale cheap but there are plenty advertised on EBay and Amazon.

Eric

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
ysbytymike

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:03:13 AM »

Oops, didn't see the budget was only £150 on this enquiry so that being the case, I agree that the system I use is way over the top.

Know what you mean about cost Geoff but I've spent most of my life walking hills and mountains, (twelve years as a member of the Brecon Mountain Rescue Team) so for me the cost of having an accurate instantly known location anywhere regardless of weather, terrain or location is well worth it. Link that with a good compact camera and you have a system that's very effective. 

Mike

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 10:00:31 AM »

Oh I agree Mike as I used to be a qualified mountain leader, but in that situation where you need to know where you are, but in this circumstance you need to know where you've been.

???Umm something weird going on here.....Mountain leader----- mountain rescue,     Photographer--------photographer, motorbikes-------------motorbikes, ever done any diving Mike? after that I think we better think about DNA testing  Cheesy
ysbytymike

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »

Blimey... Yes - Second Class. Was diving in the Irish Sea two months ago. Haven't dived for many a year and though it was like riding a bike!!!!!
I think that WILL be my last dive.

DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »

Hey mike thinking on gettin the canon coolpix i8000 does this camera gps on it and would you recommend it.

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 04:58:01 PM »

Sounds like a cut and shunt job to me  Grin Nikon make coolpix not Canon Huh
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »

Quite right chef oops

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »

Not sure but I don't think Nikon do a GPS enabled camera. Honestly Al check out the Panasonic TZ10, I use the TZ8 (no GPS on mine Angry) the quality is very good.
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 05:34:46 PM »

i personally think my canon is great 6 weeks out in the rain and still all good , must remember 2 tie it around my neck next time  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 05:48:16 PM »

Not too sure on the GPS front, but camera wise you won't go far wrong with the camera I use to record all the finds made on DW rallies,

It cost over £300 new way back in 2004 and boasted the highest meapixles at 5.1 in the market at the time for a compact digital. You can now buy one secondhand for £30 on E-Bay! Its the Nikon Coolpix 5200.

I have upgraded several times since but for robustness nothing beats it. Over 18,000 photos taken and still going as strong as the day I bought it.

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »

Many thanks for the info guys, I did think about going down the camera/ GPS system rather than phone. I wasnt really looking for super quality images in the field, more of a (failing ) memory jogger. I can do this under studio conditions at home. I have checked out the 3g and above systems and these are basically unfeasable due to lack of supporting signal and network availability. The only way you can get Broadband up here over dial up speed is via satalite (I have explored all the options for my home PC set up) Dongle speed in the middle of local towns is only bits per sec -not Kbs .I appreciate the suggestion of i phone or similar , but to operate with google maps , they need constant signal to update your roming position otherwise it could involve waiting for lengths of time while the device plays catchup.
To keep the bulk of kit down in the field , the maplins travel tracker looks like the most sensible and convienient cost effective solution(Secretly I was looking to get a new toy as well )  Geof how do you sinc it to your camera ? I would be intending using my old Olympus u600 compact.
Thank you again for your imput(s)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal