Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New thread re early days of metal detecting.  (Read 1814 times)
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« on: October 29, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »

As requested by Neil.

I have to thank a very good friend of mine now sadly deceased Peter Whitburn
GW4EAI a radio ham of true quality and an avid VHF DX Chaser mainly 2 and 6 meters for setting me on the path of Metal Detecting.
I myself was a Radio ham GW6VZW/MW5VZW and was greatly encouraged by the above gentleman to whom i dedicate this Epistle.
During one of our many discussions on all things Radio Peter also knew i had an interest in history and mentioned an article in the"Practical Wireless" Magazine which
featured an article on a prototype of a very basic B.F.O. Metal detector for locating items buried in the ground.
This discussion resulted in Peter building for me this basic design which did not benefit from Faraday shielding and therefore was extremely unstable in use.
This lack of shielding resulted in noises every time you moved the search head through grass especially when wet.!!!
But despite the odd noises was functional...
Maximum depth was a horseshoe at 3 inches and less for smaller items lol.
During use in 1962 i was amazed that i could find metallic items in the ground.
Everywhere i went the ground was littered with pre decimal coinage mainly pennies and silver and brass threepence,s....also very common finds were military badges not so today lol.......I did manage to find loads of coinage dating back to early Victoria on the dry sand on beaches loads of silver joeys and viccy pennies including a manky gothic florin at Barry Island...those were the days.
Wet sand was not possible with this detector this set me on the path for The hobby.
Permission was even harder to get than today !!! Cos people had not grasped what metal detectors were and were very loath to let people wander over the farms with "that there detecting thingy" lol.
This basic machine lasted about 16 months until the elements got the better of it
I then read about a company called Garrett in the U.S.A. who produced a basic Green coloured metal boxed T.R. Machine which i purchased from the States and thats when i started on the long walk towards Metal detecting as we know it today...
Just a potted history but may be of interest to some...H.H. to all PaulB. Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:56:09 AM »

cqdx cqdx lol.used to do a bit with cb radio

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
woodbob123

vintage and home made

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 01:43:33 PM »

Almost the same for me was GW4IED  built a practical electronics  IB detector "Magnum" found a few victorian coins but then due to work and other things left it in the corner it worked 30 years later!! only just returned should soon have a whites. Then over the winter will build a cople for myself and some very light simple ones for the grandchildren.
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:44:24 PM »

Almost the same for me was GW4IED  built a practical electronics  IB detector "Magnum" found a few victorian coins but then due to work and other things left it in the corner it worked 30 years later!! only just returned should soon have a whites. Then over the winter will build a cople for myself and some very light simple ones for the grandchildren.
Nice to hear from you Bob where you based i live in Cwmbran but originally from Pontypool...was a big friend of G4JZ from Birdlip in Gloucs  cheers PaulB.

woodbob123

vintage and home made

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »

in Newport near beechwood park moved here for the vhf take off south hi hi long time member of newport club also used to sell solar panels and bits at rallys
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »

in Newport near beechwood park moved here for the vhf take off south hi hi long time member of newport club also used to sell solar panels and bits at rallys
Was a member of pontypool and blackwood radio clubs i was mainly a 6 metre man got the first class B DXCC in Wales as GW6VZW  from a hole in the ground lol...did a bit on HF as MW5VZW but now a built up area and RF probs got too much for me 73,s
PaulB.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal