Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hoard - locations  (Read 5673 times)
Plodder
Rally attendee

« on: October 27, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »

This is a genuine question: If you were a Roman, where would you have hidden a chest of gold coins?

a) In open pasture land
b) In open pasture land, near a landmark (such as a group of trees)
c) In a forest
d) Near a river

I ask as I'm trying to narrow-down where I go looking.

I wonder if there's a common theme as to the location of where most hoards were hidden.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Howard
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »

Grin ;Dsorry but this is a mad question,,,,, ???where would you hide something Huh,,,i notice the romans favour hills as hoard spots.........or valleys,or plains,,, i dunno if you find a hoard you can tell us Grin Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
db4

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:33:09 PM »

I would look for agriculture, as the pot/chest would be buried deep
its profile would not stand out (crop marks) as the land would be in
constant use. It would have to be near some point of interest so that i could
find it later.
herbie

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »

I wish I knew Cheesy Grin

To be honest I think the best thing is to try and learn as much about the history of the area you're planning to detect: old buildings,settlements etc, research place names as well, they often give a clue to the history of a place. Look out for well known ancient sites / towns / roads in the area.

The trouble with trying to guess where in the landscape things might be is that it has probably changed an awful lot since Roman times, and as far as trees go then I don't think any that you see today will have been around 2000yrs ago (with the exception of very old Yew I suppose), certainly some large Oaks may have stood for a few hundred years so it's always worth having a detect around them.

I have found with my land that I've gradually built a picture up of the kind of settlement / use it's seen through the things I have found, in conjunction with it's known history, that's one of the best bits about the hobby for me.

Good Luck Smiley

Herbie

Same sh*t different hole!!
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 01:37:17 PM »

oh my life,,what you guys have to remember is what was woods then is now fields,,,pasture was once woods,rivers change course,......so finding a hoard is a game of luck,,unless you have a time machine Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
waltonbasinman
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »

I have a Hoard setting on my detectors. When ever I put this setting on they go, "HA HA" No chance, but to be fair as Paul has said what was wood is now field, what was field is now wood, who knows what anyone has done with the land in the preceeding 2000 years. If you find a hoard good luck to you but I know of no secret route to find one.   Smiley
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 02:15:31 PM »

Well I would love to know if anyone in the UK has ever managed to find a hoard by research, I doubt it. If you mean just Roman then obviously a Roman occupation area is your first requirement But as Paul has said the landscape will have changed dramatically in 2000 years, but there are a few things that may help point you in the right direction.

The fast majority of hoards are not buried out in fields or in woods or near features in the landscape they are things of Stevenson's novels Cheesy They are either under the floor of the living area or in the very close (visible) vicinity. If you imagine getting all your life's savings and putting them in a pot/bag now are you really going to want to bury them where you can't keep an eye on them? No, didn't think so.
Plus personal hoards are generally savings so are added too or taken away from at regular intervals so walking across the fields with you stick or whatever else your going to dig with is going to give the game away.
So as the Romans preferred to live with their homes facing South by South East and they would need a water course it can cut out a great many places.

Good luck and don't forget who told you where it was Grin
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 02:27:41 PM »

That's good logic Geoff. I can go with that.

Most Roman buildings are near water so that's a starting point.

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:19:53 PM »

the theory that the romans liked there buldings to face east west is a correct theory but if it points in the direction of a hoard is highly unlikely {didnt the wealthy romans have windows Grin}im sure they could have seen 360o in any direction if they desired,,so the burying of a hoard {if they had the means to bury one}still could be anywhere within the immediate vicinity,,then you have to take in account hoards of mercenary travellars burying there wealth as they went {could be anywhere}tradesmen,merchants etc,,,,im afraid that the finding of a hoard is the same odds as the euro lottery and there are probably 99.7 of people on this site {or have used this site will never find one },,when i started tectin i used to think i would find a hoard and after 4 years of tectin i belive i will never find one,,,,,,,,,if fact i dont try to find 1 ,,all i do is detect as a hobby wich i love and maybe ,just maybe one of those days i may find something worth running round the fields jumping up and down in excitement  Grin Grin,,but untill that day{if it comes}the only hoards i know of are in people collections that have been tectin for a while  Grin Grin,,,,,,,damn good idea lets all bury our finds as hoards and give the archis of the 27th cen to jump around about Grin Grin Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »

Well your never going to find one then lol,. not east west that's churches  Grin Most houses up until quite recently were if possible built facing south south east to take maximum advantage of the rising sun (heat and warmth).
Ah I see my post forgot to point out the fact that rising ground was favourable, umm sorry, so a south facing piece of rising ground is the important bit.
As for travelling merchants burying their nest eggs, well there have been a few hoards that have been attributed to this purely on the grounds of them being found on the edge of settlements with no obvious dwelling close by. But none of a Roman date that I'm aware at.
4 years? God Paul you've only just learned how to put the batteries in lol
staterchaser

Always expect the unexpected!

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »

Another point worth mentioning is if I wanted to bury my wealth I would certainly spread it into 2 or 3 holes not 1 just incase it was found. So if you do come across one keep looking as there would be a strong likelyhood there would be another close by! Shocked
As far as me finding one, I'm on the case  Grin
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:51:56 PM by staterchaser » Logged

I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I'm a drunk we go to parties!
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »

I think we all  live in hope of finding a hoard and I for one have not given up on it. Positive mental attitude chaps - its going to happen to a regular poster here one day. I know a select few on here have already been lucky enough. Its only a matter of time until someone else joins their ranks.

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 05:04:18 PM »

Depends on your definition of hoard............. "two or more coins buried together............"

I've had a few hoards then!!!    Well, maybe a couple  Wink

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 05:31:39 PM »

i really dont think i could handle the finding of a hoard,,,jelousy,disapointment,red tape,maybe the loss of detecting ground,,fallouts etc id rather leave it in the ground ,,personally speaking i have over 140 hammys in my possesion  and that to me is a good hoard  Grin,some of you will have more,,we are creating our hoards all the time,with a lot less hastle ,,,hoards were put in the ground  for the benefit of whoever buried them,i say let em lie where they be .........what would you do with a hoard ?....SELL IT ,,somehow it dosent do it justice to the people that buried it in the first place. 

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
Dusty

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 07:34:15 PM »

Depends on your definition of hoard............. "two or more coins buried together............"

Hey, me to!  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal