Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: detector for a 9yr old archeologist  (Read 4146 times)
foody
Rally attendee

« on: October 24, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »

Hi everyone.
First let me say th ;Dis is a great site.
I really need some advice.I want to get my nine yr boy a detector for crimbo but as I'm totally clueless and happily admit to knowing nothing I don't know which one to  get I've looked at the garrett 150 & 250,also the Viking v6 and  vk 30 but I'm lost.
Do they all discriminate?ease of use is also a factor.we live in ebbwvale so will be going around post industrial sites,as well as fields and river banks.I take him fossil hunting regularly to beaches so it would be good to tie in with that as well.
Any advice gratefully received.
Foody.

why do bad things happen straight away whilst good things come to those who wait?
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »

garrett 250 , light and good descrim should be a good starter machine especially for a little un and not mad money if he gets fed up with it as kids do

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Zeus (Joel)
Restricted Member

Garrett Euro Ace

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »

Yes i agree with the Garrett Ace 250. It's easy peasy and pretty much turn on and go. Just make sure you get permission from farmers if you plan to go on any fields

2013 Finds

6 hammered
0 gold
0 Roman
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:07:43 PM »

I would agree that the ace is a great machine but you said you may go to the beach with it? ummmmm, in that case I'de suggest you look at the Whites Coinmaster pro which is the same price range and capability but is far better on wet sand Wink
waltonbasinman
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 02:14:33 PM »

Also "enjoy it" and I think it is great you give your young un the attention. It is so easy to sit them in front of the telly or a games consul. Well done to you.
foody
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 02:32:37 PM »

Thanks for the replies,you must get asked these questions all the time.
Had a look at the coinmaster.would it be easy for him to operate?a friend of mine has a farm so shouldn't be an issue getting permission to start him off.we try to go fossil hunting once s month,work permitting.usually llantwit major or watchet,both quit stony.
Something else that's got me puzzled.in idiots terms what's the difference between motion and non motion and which would be better for him?
I don't think he'd lose interest,a couple of years ago his nan got him a national geographic you detector and although its useless he tries to use it all the time.

why do bad things happen straight away whilst good things come to those who wait?
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »

For most people and especially beginners then motion is the method to use. Non motion is on paper a deeper system of detecting but it does not discriminate anywhere near as well as VLF motion machines as it uses a desensitising  or squelch method rather than a segmental system. The "pinpoint" mode on most machines is a non motion facility.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 05:23:40 PM »

just a note of caution, my 9 yr old nephew struggles with the weight of the garrett 250, and has to use 2 hands to swing the machine.

cheers

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »

Obviously weight can be a factor to consider Alan, but usually it's more of a balance and leverage issue. The important thing is to get the stem the right length even if this means taking a hacksaw to it and drilling a few holes.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 05:34:03 PM »

indeed, that is what i had to do. But i thought i'd mention the  weight issue as it will be a factor when comparing with other machines.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
foody
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 10:42:39 AM »

Cheers for the advice folks.
Think I'm definatly going for a 250,seems to get the most positive reviews for its price.is there anywhere in south Wales that sells them so I could go inspect one?

foody
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »

well my boy got a garrett off santa, just have to learn how to use it! he's already found a few coins, the oldest is a 1913 penny which was nice.is there anyone in the ebbwvale area that could help us in fine tuning etc? he could do with some proper advice.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal