Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: coil problems  (Read 4158 times)
archie

« on: October 21, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »

Hi, I have been using a garrett 250 for a few months now, and lately as I am swinging the detector, if the coil hits any stubble it pings and gives me a false reading.  I have tried strapping the coil cable to the stem, but at times it still plays up.  admittedly it is not all of the time, but its bloody annoying!!!
I have put a tiny amount of silicon seal where the cable enters the coil to keep out any damp, but apart from bolting the stem halves tight together i don't know what else to try.
obviously I dont particularly want to shell out for a new coil if thats not the problem.
any ideas out there please. Huh Huh

started with an Ace 250 now upgraded to F75
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:13:08 PM »

I have a x-terra 705 which is the same. If during a sweep I hit the ground with the coil it usually pings.
I don't find it a problem. just a simple check over the same area tells me if I banged the head or if
there is a target there.

IMO.. As long as it only happens when your coil makes contact with the ground, I wouldn't worry too much

Mike

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »

Hi Archie, as Mike has hinted at 90% of coils will give a reading if bumped, and as you say it's only something you've noticed recently in stubble and as we have only just got stubble to detect in it has probably always been there but you haven't been in the right environment to notice it before.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »

I think it's something that happens to a lot of us Archie. Don't worry about it, you'll get used to it .

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
archie

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »

Hi, I have noticed it in stubble, and sedge (same stuff I guess), but! it sometimes pings if the the head is rotated left to right and back, which makes me wonder if the connection in the coil is okay or if damp conditions can effect the electrics. guess I will have to persevere.

started with an Ace 250 now upgraded to F75
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »

You could be right Colin. I had the same thing with the spider coil on my Whites. But funnily enough it didn't happen yesterday with the DD coil. Another point in it's favour, I'm very impressed, so far.
I wondered if it had anything to do with how high the sens was set. ?? All you can do is keep a mental note of exactly how it responds to different things.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal