Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Out today in Somerset with Geoff (Chef)...  (Read 3186 times)
jtalbot0001

« on: October 10, 2011, 07:28:45 PM »

Today I met up with Geoff, who had very kindly allowed me a day out with him in Somerset. I got a little lost getting there but did find the place in the end. We chatted for a while and he gave me a brief history of the place, and the finds he made there in the past, and then we set off on some stubble fields to see what we could find. About half an hour or so into detecting Geoff nearly got munched to death by two dogs on the other side of the field, fortunately the owner came running after them and it wasn’t too long before she calmed them down. We met up a few minutes later, showed each other what we found, which for me was really just the buckle. We then split up for a while, Geoff going into another field while I still stayed in the original stubble field, and I was very fortunate to come away with a James 1st Shilling and what may be a horse boss mount or something like that. When I said I found a hammered Geoff wasn’t expecting it to be that big, but was pleased for me, thanks Geoff, and so was I Smiley We had a small lunch break after this, and then we drove to some other fields that had potential of yielding some Roman finds, but alas, they didn’t, and they produced very few finds for the both of us. For Geoff I think it was a few buckles and some coins, for me it was a mount, a piece of bronze pot and a modern Georgian Penny. We then had another coffee break, while waiting for a dairy heard to go up the road, and then decided to go back to the area where we started, as I was going to get picked up there anyway, and managed to get another half hour detecting. Just before going I managed to find a large Roman Coin, Geoff couldn’t believe I found another large coin, and he confirmed it was Roman, my largest ever; the few I have ever found are no bigger than a penny coin at most, so this is a monster. I always get confused with a Dupondius, As, and Sestertius. All I can make out is the head faces right, and there does seem to be the letters SC, that is as about as much as I can make out for now. So all in all, I had a really great day, apart from the finds, it was just really good to actually be with somebody detecting rather than being on your won 99% of the time. Thanks for a great day out Geoff, I really had a great time, can’t thank you enough, much appreciated!!

* Finds.jpg (301.48 KB, 800x717 - viewed 754 times.)

* Finds1.jpg (292.37 KB, 800x698 - viewed 748 times.)

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 07:41:19 PM »

Nice post Jon - enjoyed reaeding it and well done Cheffy for inviting you along -looks like you both had a fun day out.

You are building quite the hammered collection now - that ones a cracker to tick off.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Metalmickey

Fisher F75 User.Some Men are Wise, Some Otherwise!

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 07:44:59 PM »

Nice one jon, great write up & a good day had by the sounds of it.
P.s.... Love the Hamster  Wink

If you want to understand today, you have to search for yesterday !!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »

Yes you certainly got some monsters there Jon, well done mate. For me it was a day of buttons, buckles and b#gg*$ all else Cheesy
It was intriguing that Jon got a James shilling, as it was the same area I found mine on Friday, what are the chances Huh

Here's Jon's as it came out of the ground.

Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 09:14:23 PM »

a tres bien to both always nice to see the goodies , bravo and wish you more next time .Nap
jtalbot0001

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:58:57 PM »

Hey Geoff, whats the model of that camera you have? Looking at those pictures makes me question again about the camera I have? Whats annoying me is the fact that I bought one a few months back, a cheapish one, its a Cannon PowerShot A3350 IS, and if I'm honest, it is rubbish. Close up pictures are just so out of focus in my opinion sometimes, I know I can do it manually, and perhaps get better results, but if auto isn't capable then clearly something is wrong. My camera on my phone takes better pictures which is worrying. I may actually sell this one I have, its brand new practically, but is just no good at close ups. I need a decent one, but not too expensive, that can take decent pictures. Thanks for taking those pictures! I will email you the GPS points tomorrow.

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 06:26:50 AM »

well done John, must meet here Brecon, work keeps gettng in the way at present  Grin
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:36:32 AM »

Well these are the only bit's worth web space Grin 2 17thC tradesmans tokens one dated 1669 and marked with D.R.L.
A long piece of silver with I presume is from a cane or riding crop, 3 buckles, the one at the bottom has fixings is ,I think, medieval.
The 3 Roman brooches at the top are actually from Sunday, but hey I had to put something in there to make the day look better Grin

* P1000263.JPG (128.18 KB, 700x525 - viewed 702 times.)
bumpyjon

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:38:08 PM »

Really good write up, its articles such as these that has really inspired me to get out and 'go for it'  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal