Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Metal Detecting!!!  (Read 4600 times)
philhorsey
Rally attendee

« on: July 26, 2011, 06:58:21 PM »

Hi
 Often thought about taking up metal detecting as it has seen fun, my nephew is of an age now that i went out bought a couple of basic Garrett metal detectors and took to the old harbour in Barry. Looking for some helpful hints and ideas of where best to go in the area, daunting prospect the thought of speaking to land owners.

phil
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 07:40:48 PM »

Hi Phil, welcome to DW. Great site with a great bunch of people ready and will to help and advise. Just shout.
Cant help with places to go myself, I live by Tenby.
Yes it is daunting finding and facing Farmers. But the worst that can happen is they say NO.(or words to that effect)
I've found the majority are O.K. even when turning you down. Give it a try. Beaches can get boring and you're tied by the tides.
There are several members who live around you area, I'm sure someone will give you a shout.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
philhorsey
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 09:05:44 PM »

Hi Val

Thanks, i know its probably a lot easier after Ive got the first knocking of the door out of the way lol . Its all good ill be heading down to carmarthern with the wife and kids in a couple of weeks so ill probably try that way as well, get the boys away from the ps3 and out into the fresh air!!!
 I'm always getting offered a lot of metal detectors in the business I'm in and just thought its time i tried, picked up two garrets and hi jacked my little nephew. Found a gold ring on the first trip last weekend on the beach and about 2 pound, I'm more intrested in finding something with a story but this is where i think ill learn how to do the basics.
 Good thing is if any one posts anything they need verifying when it comes to gold is that I'm trained in British and Asian gold. So ill be able to share my knowledge for some basic detecting advice!!

phil
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:15:13 PM »

Well there are a few on here who just love gold Phil. Me, I've only found a very small ring (so far) that I couldn't age.
Sounds like you'll enjoy exchanging ideas on some of the items found. I'm sure Geoff will find your expertise very interesting. Roll Eyes
It's always nice to find the older things, no matter how grotty. They have history and were part of someones life. If you keep you eyes open on ploughed land you often find bits and pieces (none metal) that are thousands of years old. That to me is a real buzz.
Surprised no one from your end has replied. They must all be asleep tonight. Keep watching this space. Grin

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:20:32 PM »

hello and welcome to the bad back club.a quick tip,don't knock on farmers doors but if you see one in a field ,have a chat.
 i dont like people knocking on my door and get pee'd off when people do
 come on one of our rallies,meet the peeps,get some advice and you could even find a roman or hamered coin.good bunch on here mate .enjoy ,mike
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:22:37 PM by dances with badgers » Logged

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
NickDavies
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 09:03:28 AM »

Hello philhorsey just thought id indulge you a bit, im from llanelli but often travel down detecting in carmarthen, there are a few field in johnstown with a bit of world war 2 history there where ive found many aretfacts but if your looking for the real history try going down to llansteffan which is a little bit further on, the fields by the castle are very much full with amazing finds Smiley
Hope this helps
Nick

It's there, you just have to look for it!
philhorsey
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »

Hi Nick

Thanks for the advice on llanstefan, ive been there a few times minus a detector of course but ill do that at the end of augest when im down that way.

phil
Polaris
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 06:52:26 PM »

Welcome to DW phil, Great Bunch on here.
tyna

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 06:55:14 PM »

Good luck and hope you have many finds Phil
 Smiley
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »

Welcome to the site Phil - now you are a DW member you are welcome to join us on any of our rallies - I think there are 2 events posted at the moment, with a shed load in the pipeline.

As for knocking on farm doors - go for it - its a sure way to get farm land. If you get a few knock backs (the normal ratio I find is about 3 failures to 1 success) just keep going, one will eventually say yes. Be polite and be yourself, explain you will leave the land as found, close all gates and avoid livestock. Also explain to the farmer he is entitled to 50% of any treasure finds (normal agreement) and remind him of the £3million plus Staffordshire Hoard, the £1 million Viking hoard and numerous others in the last two years.

Good luck and let us now how you get on

Neil
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:01:39 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
philhorsey
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 07:02:41 PM »

Thanks for all the advice

By sheer accident a customer sold me a laptop today and as i was discussing with a team member it turns out that she has access through her mother to 80 acres of land and all within south wales, perhaps the knocking on the door does not have to happen for a while now. i will post my finds on here so far £1.52 and a gold ring with very little history. My nephew seems more intrested in the £1.52 so far but he has a passion for history and the land option will bring us off the shore for a little while.

phil
NickDavies
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 10:18:17 PM »

No worries any time Smiley The beach can produce some good finds on a busy summer, but the fields right next to the castle are the best and the owners are really nice as well which shouldnt deter you to much haha

It's there, you just have to look for it!
Griffmiester

Spare a talent for an old ex-leper.

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »

Guys if youre interested theres a new Tutorial and machine sponsored by Bill Wyman....heres the video followed by a remix......

Bill Wyman's Metal Detector - Swede Mason
bumpyjon

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 06:43:46 PM »

Welcome to the forum  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal