Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Detectingwales Rally 42 - " The Force was not strong in us"  (Read 6423 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: October 09, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »

The 42nd Detectingwales.com Rally saw us heading over the bridge once again to a parcel of pastures that had been gifted to us for the day courtesy of Yoda and Coin Demon. Thanks guys.

Getting to the farm was probably the hardest part, as the bridge less than a few miles away had been closed due to structural damage. This resulted in a 20 minute detour to try and get around the bridge following just two "Detour  Signs". A few of us struggled with the directions, but I think we all made it for the start of the day.

The location was steeped in history with plenty of stunning finds having been made historically in the surrounding areas, however for today we weren't to fair quite so well - you could say the "Force was not with us!"

After the normal gathering and a well deserved round of applause for Yoda, we were off onto the pastures.

The first find of note fell to Chef and answered an age old question in "What are those bronze rings we all occasionally find?" Now I have heard of everything from lambing rings, finger rings to even Celtic Bronze money (see Ebay and the amount of mugs willing to buy them!), but we had the answer in situ today. Chef had unearthed a horse bridle with at least three of them still attached. Job done, question answered - well done Chef! Now if we can only find out what those six stemmed lead spruces are . . .

I next happened across Woody who last week found his first hammered coin and this week found his first milled silver coin in the shape of William III shilling. As is often the case with this monarch, the coin was worn almost flat except for a little tuft of hair and the mint mark E, which is I believe Exeter or maybe Edinburgh.

Next in line came a Gurkha knife with a lions head pommel, known traditionally as a Khukri. It seemed an odd find for the area until later yoda explained that during the war numerous troops had been stationed nearby.

My turn next and under an old oak tree I found a nice livery button. I like these things and have built up a modest collection of them that I eventually want to research and mount in a frame. Any ideas on the family crest anyone?

Back at the parking fields a few more finds had materialised including a James II Gunmoney coin for someone - I never got to find out who - photo please. A counterstamped George III sixpence for Viking, a small coin spill of 3 coppers in the same hole for Deadlock along with an interesting carriage plaque that may be a bit more modern than it depicts.

Rambo was also amongst the cars with a whopper of an early Republican Sestertius in lovely condition - I can't remember who we thought it depicted. A cracker of a coin though in a barren Roman rally.

Another horse harness turned up and it wasn't long until it was being modelled by the former "Face of DW", Richard 16.5DD who we now
refer to as the "Horse of DW!"

A few of us braved another field further down the road, but it was mainly filled with rubble in the shape of tarmac.

The usual finds were turning up including buckles, buttons, copper coinage to George III, the odd musket ball, but not a lot of a great age apart from those already mentioned. I don't think the ground helped as the one field was strongly contaminated and the rest pretty hard to dig. It happens sometimes and its just one of those things we all experience with detecting. I am sure there were more decent finds deeper down but alas they aluded most of us.

The final find of the day went to a DW stalwart and a man most of us have consulted on this forum at some point or other. It is of course The Doc who pulled out a beautiful 18ct gold ring with Saphires and Diamonds. A cracking ring well deserved.

On a personal note a big Thank You to Chef and Coin Demon who being aware of my unhealthy obsession with buckles both gave me some stunning examples they had previously found. Very kind of you guys - I can assure you they have gone to a good home!

Thats about it - well done to everyone for coming along and to Yoda,Coin Demon and Relichunting for the land. We have a few more rallies in the pipe line a bit localer to South Wales for the next couple of weeks. I know TaffLaff is speaking to a farmer today, so watch this space.

See you all  in a field soon.
Neil

* 3 Chef finally answers the question.JPG (73.23 KB, 571x428 - viewed 447 times.)

* 3 Chef photo two.JPG (63.88 KB, 571x428 - viewed 462 times.)

* 3 More coppers all in one hole.JPG (60.51 KB, 571x428 - viewed 467 times.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:56:07 PM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:08:10 PM »

More

* 3 button.JPG (49.66 KB, 571x428 - viewed 450 times.)

* 3 George III sixpence found by Viking.JPG (59.98 KB, 571x428 - viewed 437 times.)

* 3 Livery in the soil Neil.JPG (86.65 KB, 571x428 - viewed 437 times.)

* 3 Livery button neil.JPG (54.66 KB, 571x428 - viewed 456 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:09:27 PM »

Again

* 3 Ghurka pommel.JPG (39.86 KB, 428x571 - viewed 440 times.)

* 3 Ghurka in the hand.JPG (74.17 KB, 571x428 - viewed 448 times.)

* 3 Ghurka finder.JPG (54.5 KB, 428x571 - viewed 454 times.)

* 3 one of numerous coppers.JPG (52.76 KB, 571x428 - viewed 442 times.)

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:11:12 PM »

More

* 3 Willy 3rd for Woody.JPG (48.53 KB, 571x428 - viewed 421 times.)

* 3 Mystery carriage plaque.JPG (73.48 KB, 571x428 - viewed 443 times.)

* 3 Rambos roman republican sestertious.JPG (62.15 KB, 571x428 - viewed 466 times.)

* 3 Rambo roman reverse.JPG (69.23 KB, 571x428 - viewed 454 times.)

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »

Again

* 3 Rambo V Roman.JPG (34.74 KB, 428x571 - viewed 457 times.)

* 3 The Docs 18ct ring.JPG (49.68 KB, 571x428 - viewed 534 times.)

* 3 Docs hallmarks.JPG (30.67 KB, 571x428 - viewed 522 times.)

* 3 The Doc and the ring.JPG (45.76 KB, 428x571 - viewed 523 times.)

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 12:13:25 PM »

Feel free to add any more photos guys.

Cheers
Neil

* 3 Richard The Horse of DW.JPG (46.51 KB, 428x571 - viewed 545 times.)

* 3 A pack of Minelabs.JPG (93.78 KB, 428x571 - viewed 626 times.)

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »

The land was gifted to you for the day courtesy of Yoda,Coin Demon,and relichunting.
(myself), we have around 8000 acres that we share between us.

Sorry no hammereds or much was found but thats detecting for you. 

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
JRD

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »

Some nice finds that guys - especially loving the Gurkha and of course Pete's gold ring. Cracking find well done mate.

wyrd bið ful aræd - Fate is inexorable
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 02:47:27 PM »

this is the bell and part of trade weight with a letter A on it i found at the rally yesterday.....i dug the bell up around 18"
                                      please get photos in of finds from rally as im putting up the polls tomorrow cheers.

* bell.jpg (56.39 KB, 432x768 - viewed 570 times.)

* 006.JPG (36.76 KB, 768x432 - viewed 558 times.)

* trade weight.jpg (76.49 KB, 432x768 - viewed 560 times.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:46:56 PM by Casa-Dos (kev) » Logged
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 06:51:17 PM »

Sorry - Just re-read this and forgot to say a big thanks to RelicHunting as well for the day out - Apologies.

A great way to spend the day with the usual cracking company.

Cheers
Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »

weldone peeps Grin

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 02:55:36 AM »

I managed a piece of a bronze bowl, lots of IKEA bits and a 1947 penny, a pretty clean 303 bullet casing and some buttons. I saw someone with what looks like a possible roman grott or even an iron age bronze unit, Chef saw it too but dont know the chaps name who found it, sorry.

No roman stuff or saxon finds from the areas we expected to find some but they were probably too deep for us to get to. The ploughed field at the end of the land we had access to has an interesting dark bit of soil and squarish crop mark on google earth, near the crest of the hill. I found some roman looking pottery along the edge of the field where it had been moved by the plough.

Several bits of bronze slag from the same area probably means there was a bit of industry there too.

All together an interesting bit of land that I would have liked to have spent a bit more time on. I must admit it was the first time I have detected while being surrounded by running deer! It was cracking seeing deer run past two guys with their heads in holes and they didnt even see them.

Thanks to yoda, relichunting and coin demon for letting us all on. A good day out. Cheers guys.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold