Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sorry all ! Same Old Questions..........I'm Sure  (Read 2082 times)
The Bluebird
Rally attendee

« on: October 08, 2011, 11:23:34 AM »

Mid life crisis taking a grip ans wanting to get in to detecting for a long time, I have the following Qs:

1.) Can I attend one of the organised rallies just for observation, as I dont have a detector yet and would like to see what it's all about ?

2.) I'm thinking of getting a Garrett 250, any good ?  or will I be wishing i'd shelled out a bit more in months to come ?

3.) Whats stopping me going on detecting around 'old farms' and old villages (like the old village on the side of the Garth)

4.)  What are the best clubs around the Cardiff area ?

Thanks

doddy10

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 11:34:50 AM »

Hi Bluebird

Welcome to the forums.

1 I am sure you will be welcome at a DW rally to have a chat with people and see how things operate, people here are generally a freindly bunch.

2 never used a garrett, but you will probably need to upgrade in the future depending on how keen you become and the sites you detect on.

3 All land in the UK is owned by someone, so you need permission to detect. If you go without permission then you can be prosecuted for tresspass and going equipped to steal.

4 DW Smiley

good luck and welcome to this fancinating hobby

Doddy
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 11:54:56 AM »

Hi Bluebird, first a big welcome to Dw and considering buying a garrett ace 250 is a good choice to start with its a good machine especially with the bigger coil , on the wet sand if you planning beach detecting i will not recommend the garrett but it does well on dry sand , maybe to join one of the rallie will be a good idea  , meet the members , few ace 250 users will be more than happy to show you how the detector work  and if i  am available on the same rallie you more than welcome to use one of my machine for the day .I did start with the ace 250 and was happy with it found some nice coins ,  i did upgrade the machine after a while  but its all down to your budget how much you want to pay , i mean a x terra 705 will be the best to use as a first machine but cost more than the garrett but  a better machine all around , garrett are very good to start with but you will find after few month or a year you want a better machine thats the way it work but never buy a explorer or e trac and so on the top end machine to sart witrh you will get frustrated and eventually not enjoying detecting they are not easy to use but they are the top when you know how they operate . My choice will be a minelab x terra 705 to start with or the ace 250 as a second .

Good luck and hope this help .  Nap
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 02:03:39 PM »

In answering your questions.

Just register on this forum and your entitled to attend any rally organized by DW (its free)

I concur with Napoleon. The Garret is a very good machine and the x-terra 750 is even better, but if cost is an issue and you can only afford
1, then go for the 750. Its relatively easy to use with a lot of automated control functions.

Where to go... Doddy10 pretty much covered that subject

Clubs... have a look on google for metal detecting clubs in (whatever area)

Welcome to this fascinating hobby

Cheers

Mike

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal