Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Storgursey Rally Sept.25th 2011  (Read 2596 times)
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« on: October 01, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »

STOGURSEY RALLY 25th SEPT 2011.An early start from Nantgarw saw 30 members on the bus heading towards Bridgewater for the eagerly awaited “Stogursey Rally”.
As we made our way along the M4 motorway we could see the sky getting darker and darker and by the time we'd reached the Severn Bridge it was raining ! After a brief stop at services on the M5 we were doing well for time, hoping to arrive early enough to have one of the organisers filling breakfasts. Unfortunately, due to a sat-nav malfunction, we arrived later then expected ! Some of us rushed into the sign-on area but were too late for a full brekkie so had to make do with a bacon roll,better luck next time . At the sign-on in the ”Victory Hall”Stogursey we were given written instructions and a map of the area to be detected.
As usual our luck was varied, some of us the normal stuff of buttons,buckles, bits of lead , grotty coins etc....but on the other hand some members had good finds....Norman Oxley found a lead palm guard and a Georgian pipe tamper,which he donated to the lady farm owner . Derek Rooke had a gold watch and a hammered coin which is either a Lizzie or a Charles 1st . Mark Watson also had a hammered, a very heavily clipped Edward 4th penny . Ann Oxley found silver, in the shape of a George 5th sixpence . Ceri Jones had an Elizabethan buckle and a spindle whorl . Rod Holt found a buckle too , a 15th century one along with a belt fitting dated 17th century . Brian Mitchell found a Lizzie sixpence . Mickey Thomas had four buckles including a nice shoe buckle . Carl Williams found a 14th century harness pendant and an Elizabeth 1st three pence coin . As there was an FLO present at the rally lots of the finds had been catalogued and dated..so accurate descriptions were on paper ! Carl Meyrick had what must be the find of the day , a large silver gents ring in the shape of the “alien” from the film of the same name . It's body was the main part and it's limbs and tail formed the actual ring . The hallmark was Birmingham . Stuart Sutton found a nice buckle , dated 1620 by the FLO, he also had a finger guard for a flint-lock pistol . Robert Thomas had a 15th century double looped oval buckle . Steve Rolls found a late medieval penny of Richard 2nd dated1379-1399.
At a short stop at the M5 services on the way home we saw the most unusual pet on a harness and lead...it was a FERRET !..the owner told me his name was “Freddie” and he was only four and a half months old . What a cutie he was !
So once again a happy, but weary , bus-load of detectorists headed homewards after another enjoyable RARE trip .
 Byron Matthews . vice-chairman

* IMGP0621.JPG (66.84 KB, 448x336 - viewed 550 times.)

* pics 008.jpg (86.83 KB, 733x550 - viewed 741 times.)

* pics 016.jpg (133.09 KB, 733x550 - viewed 1362 times.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 09:05:50 PM by bymatt666 (byron) » Logged

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 09:03:03 PM »

Nice write up, Mat.

I used to like ferret's until one came through the open front door of my parents house, ran round the living room
and bit me before running out!  Obvioulsy it sensed I was the tastiest person there!  Grin

bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:07:35 PM »

thanks bob, this ferret was just inquisitive, but i moved when he started to go up my trouser leg..... Shocked.....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 09:17:03 PM »

thanks bob, this ferret was just inquisitive, but i moved when he started to go up my trouser leg..... Shocked.....byron

Yes, he'd have been looking for a while. Why nibble something past it's sell by date?  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal