Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A very strange days detecting.  (Read 6457 times)
waltonbasinman
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:14:56 PM »

Well as planned I went to the new farm for a day out to warm up for the Kinnersley Rally. Today I thought for a change I would go to the furthest field away as my previous trips had all been close to the farm and what a weird choice it was. The field is about 45 acres and is next to the road from Presteigne to New Radnor that is on all maps back to 1734 and you get the feeling it has been there a lot longer with all the main monuments in the area sitting aside the road. found bits and bobs on the walk across which took half an hour and the on entering the field I spent the next hour and a half with not one signal. Not even Iron or hot rocks. Reset the detector twice and then did a grid for about fourty five minutes. Still not one beep. I left the field and within two minutes had found in the next field a partial croatal bell and a George II farthing so I knew the detector was ok and found  a lot more after. So has anyone ever had a field with not one signal. It is a big field so I will go back but I did cover a lot of ground in that couple of hours. Oh yeah it has not been ploughed while this family has owned it which is over 150 years.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:28:45 PM »

Interesting Paul - Mark and I had a very similar experience about 6 years ago on a nice ploughed field that we had hammered and numerous bits and bobs from either side of it- we were both looking forward to getting on there.

We spent about four hours detecting it with not a single signal or even a shotgun cap between us -  no foil, no ring pulls, no coinage, noi shredded cans - nothing at all! We both kept checking our machines (at the time a Muskateer and a Sovereign) but nothing at all. Very odd and the area was steeped in history but apparently not a single metal item had ever found its way onto this collosal field!

I am sure theres a sensible reason, but I guess at the end of the day you just got to walk over it!

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
herbie

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 08:30:48 PM »

I have a field which used to have a toll road running through it, dating back probably to Medieval times, despite detecting it many times I haven't had anything from it, the farmer can't remember it ever being ploughed as it's an odd shaped small field with a large 'pit' area in the centre of it, so only ever used for grazing a few cattle. I'm sure there must be so many goodies in there, but just can't seem to get to them, very frustrating!! Undecided

Same sh*t different hole!!
IFINDNOTHING

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 08:54:06 PM »

Only thing I can think of is it must have been well and truly gridded before by someone(with an older metal detector with no discrim if you get no iron). My opinion on ploughed fields is "what goes up must go down every time it is ploughed". Pasture is better I think personally, but if it hasn't been ploughed for 150 years, the goodies are 8"+ under but still there.

Quote "Don't ever give up hope, there's something out there, all you have to do is hold on and believe" Axl Rose-1988
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:52:21 PM »

Maybe in history that piece of land was under water. A lake or something?

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
wolver1ne

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:57:05 PM »

same thing went on a field ploughed nothing between us for 4 hrs but the best thing was gave it another go the next year and got 8 hammered of it cool or what so try it again doesnt mean there isnt nothing there lol  Roll Eyes
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 11:15:41 PM »

Fields with absolutely no metal finds may have been recently drained to use as farmland, or have been pasture for so long that any metal finds will have dropped below a level that detectors could pick them up, by grass and low lying plants growing one on top of another. Or, they have been heavily detected by someone who even digs the iron signals!

I cant say I have ever been in a field where there were no signals at all. Unless the ground is so heavily contaminated with coke or other material which nulls out any detector signal, I cant imagine NO signals.

I tend to alternately swap from discrimination settings to all metal and no discrimination because I start feeling lonely if there are no beeps. With the noise cancelling of my headphones, everything is eerily silent with discrimination turned up to exclude iron. this can be very disorienting.

The alternative explaination is that you have entered a detecting triangle where all energy is lost to an alternative universe.

I think I need some sleep..........................

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches