Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A case of the 'right place, right time'!  (Read 4567 times)
herbie

« on: September 03, 2011, 04:12:53 PM »

Was out detecting some new land today, when the farmer approached me about a friend of his who has been excavating a trench for a new water pipe and had come across a pit with a huge cut stone over the top of it. To my delight he asked if I would go with him and swing the detector over it, needless to say I jumped at the chance, would have been rude not to Wink. Rendezvous time was set for 14.00hrs, I was early Grin, So off we went to the mystery site, got there the stone had been removed from the pit so I started swinging Smiley, unfortunately nothing in the pit, but he then asked if I'd detect the trench he'd dug, well what can I say, within about 10 mins I'd pulled 12 roman coins out Grin Grin Grin, the farmers were amazed and very pleased, there was also lots of pottery (samian ware) and tessera lying around as well.
So am going to go round and have a chat with the farmer and fingers crossed I might have some very interesting new land!! Wink
Here are 3 of the bronzes that I've cleaned up a bit.
Herbie

* SS103723.JPG (283.97 KB, 903x863 - viewed 380 times.)

* SS103722.JPG (273.9 KB, 967x809 - viewed 386 times.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 04:15:30 PM by herbie » Logged

Same sh*t different hole!!
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »

what a result very well done there mate

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »

nice resulf,the field in question defo needs some quality tectin time

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Jassy
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »

sounds fabulous!! good luck with future visits there, be interesting to see what comes up!!

Everything happens for a reason.....
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »

wow herbie what a result lol Shocked

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
JRD

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 05:10:19 PM »

Lucky thing. Nice one fella, great result.

wyrd bið ful aræd - Fate is inexorable
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »

Well done, Herbie.

I hope all the digging didn't 'drain' you!  Grin

waltonbasinman
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 05:23:29 PM »

Don,t want to know all the circumstances of your find Herbie but nice find any way. I do feel this will be classed as a hoard. Though not gold or silver I think the number of coins is the factor  and with tesserae and pottery apparantly much in evidence the ammount of anonymous viewers of this website you have to do the right thing and report this. You just do not know who is looking in. Chef will be more up to date on these things and would hopefully give you a better idea.
wayne

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr grrrrrrrrrrrr

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »

cracking result,wish i was with you.

strange women lying in ponds,distributing swords,is no system of picking a leader
herbie

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »

Don,t want to know all the circumstances of your find Herbie but nice find any way. I do feel this will be classed as a hoard. Though not gold or silver I think the number of coins is the factor  and with tesserae and pottery apparantly much in evidence the ammount of anonymous viewers of this website you have to do the right thing and report this. You just do not know who is looking in. Chef will be more up to date on these things and would hopefully give you a better idea.

Hi Arnie
The farmer is getting in touch with the local archeologists, he is keeping all the finds, I have just offered to clean and help with ID and recording, he wanted to make sure before he contacted anyone that it was a possible Roman site. If I do get any land off to detect it probably won't be that area in particular, so will have to wait and see.

Mungo

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »

well done Herbie.......... Cool
waltonbasinman
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »

Good man Herbie. Some excellent coins sir.
tyna

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 06:10:21 PM »

Oh Herbie - I do hope you haven't been taken for granted and all turns out well  Sad
One good turn deserves another eh   Huh
Still - was exciting for you while it lasted.
Really hope all will be as it should be for you after all your efforts.
 Smiley
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »

Excellent bit of luck with the site Herbie which Just goes to show if you do it all above board with your farmers then you can only win and well done to your skill in finding the coins. Those 3 all appear to be Constantine, are the rest from the house of Constantine era? that is going to be one of the deciding factor on whether it might be regarded as a hoard.
The ones you have posted "appear" to be official coinage and this is another factor, are there any barbarous issues amongst them?
The simple fact of having that many coins is not going to be considered a hoard although that's what it says in the treasure act. There are 4 sites over here that we detect, each of which have produced far more coins from a small area and none of these have been recorded as a hoard.
Had that many coins come up and consisted of 1st. 2nd or even 3rd century pre tetrarchy, that would be more likely to be a hoard, but this period is rich in coinage as funding is being pumped into Britain to "secure" it's allegiance with Building etc.
However if they appear to all be official coinage then they could be the "good stuff" that's been stashed away. If it is a bronze hoard then you have the job of not only finding the main spot but also finding the silver one that goes with it as 90% of bronze hoards will have a silver counterpart somewhere in the area. Wink
herbie

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 06:19:38 PM »

Thanks everyone, to be honest I'm excited to be possibly involved in something really interesting, as far finds are concerned with regard this particular site i'm happy to help out and record, and its lots of 'brownie points' with both farmers Grin Wink
Herbie

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal