Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A year in the life of..........  (Read 3570 times)
JRD

« on: August 28, 2011, 07:12:15 PM »

Tomorrow marks 1 year since I joined Detecting Wales (and pretty much 1 year since starting detecting).

During this time I have attended many, many rallies as well as the odd trip out to the beach, local parks and a few invites to farms from a generous Meatslicer.

During my first year I have also made many, many new friends on DW, and have been helped along the way by a lot of members on here notably Chef, RJM, Meatslicer, Rob and Neil to name but a few!

During my first year detecting I have gone through 3 metal detectors! Having started off with Garrett Ace 250, then within 3 months upgrading to an E-Trac, before selling this due to the weight to my current machine - a T2 SE.

So what have I found during this first year? Well to be honest not too much to get excited about  Sad Embarrassingly I still have not found any roman coins and have not found any hammered coins  Cry

Yes I have found plenty of old coins, buckles and artefacts, a lot of decimal and a whole load of junk. But not one decent coin to even share on here, and not one ring.

But hey this is not a cry for help, or me getting down about it  Smiley I have just been unlucky I think. Gone through 3 machines in a year has probably not helped. But with the T2 I think I have a good machine, just need time to learn it properly.

So with my first year nearly up and my apprenticeship I hope well and truly over. I look forward to another year but hopefully with some roman and hammered coins, and maybe even a ring or two to add to my near empty display box  Grin

wyrd bið ful aræd - Fate is inexorable
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:00:57 PM »

Nice summary, Jonathan. I've been detecting over 20 years and had a few machines before I settled with the XLT
for 6/7 years. Then had a few more thinking the grass was greener before settling with the Deus 18 months ago.
It's the best I've used and I am still learning it.

My advice is to use as little discrim as possible and don't sweep too fast. Keep the coil just above the soil.

I've had some nice finds over the years. I could have increased my finds ten-fold but have been lazy is not seeking
out new land to detect. I find detecting relaxing and happy to detect locally..........and don't expect to find great
things.

If you continually chase only good finds, and become despondent when they don't materialise, it becomes a chore and not so enjoyable. I just want to enjoy the hobby and a good find is a bonus.

I'm lucky I can get out most days now. Give me a ring if you get a day off and need to get out for a few hours.

Keep enjoying the hobby  Smiley

mucker

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »

I agree
Chill out and relax ,it come when least expected  and that is the time when you become more tuned in to the experience of the hunt that we all enjoy so much.
INSTINCT
Regards (Mucker)

It's an uphill struggle but i'm with you all the way
Jon1987

From - Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 09:25:57 PM »

Great write up of your first year  Smiley

I don't get to worried that I haven't found a hammered or roman coin yet. I concentrate on "firsts"
Such as my first  cartwheel, love token, crotal bell and even the my first musket ball was a delight ( even though I have about 50 of them now  Tongue)

I find by thinking of my finds in this way, I don't get to caught up in finding hammies and Romans. Though finding one would be lovely  Grin
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 10:02:18 PM »

I agree with what's been said. Don't get downhearted Jon - your first year is very typical of many detectorists' experiences. Mine was very similar, and I remember the milestones of my first pre-decimal coin, my first silver, my first pre-Victorian coin etc.

You've got a good detector - take time to get used to it, have confidence in it, and you will start to make more and better finds.
mucker

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:39:27 AM »

I read the news today o boy
About a lucky man they called rjd
Although the news was rather small
He persisted and managed to find enough to fill the Albert Hall
Id luv to turn you on.
Happy 1st birthday rjd may your finds be plenty.
Regards (Mucker)

mucker

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:42:26 AM »

Sorry meant JRD

JRD

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:20:18 AM »

I read the news today o boy
About a lucky man they called rjd
Although the news was rather small
He persisted and managed to find enough to fill the Albert Hall
Id luv to turn you on.
Happy 1st birthday rjd may your finds be plenty.
Regards (Mucker)

Haha thanks fella  Grin

JRD

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »

Cheers for all the comments - as I said it was not such a cry for help but a reflection of how my first year had gone. Although I suppose I have got a little dispondant of late regarding the quality of my finds.

But this time next year 'we will be millionaire's Rodney'.  Grin

Well at least I would like to think that my hammered and roman ducks will be broken, as well as a nice ring and as I am still still dreaming a nice gold coin (any flavour will do  Cheesy )

Here is to a golden 2nd year.

Cheers all.

JRD

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 06:26:15 PM »

The roman duck is broken!  Grin

Found my first roman today at the Penmark rally. Small roman bronze coin, yet to be fully identified, good condition and detail. Neil has taken some photos - needles to say I am over the moon.

Also on same rally not sure if the hammered duck is also broken.  Smiley Found a small hammered? thin type coin, I can make out very faint markings but not 100% sure as yet.

Along with a very old looking horse boss and a old penny - all in all a very good day.

Will try and get some photos up.

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »

It sounds "all good" JRD and congratulations on the Roman and hopefully the Hammered too Wink
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »

Well done, Jon.

It's easy when you know how!  Wink  Grin

legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 07:18:42 PM »

well done jrd , sounds like someone was listening in to you

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
mucker

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 07:45:32 PM »

Congratulations and well done.
Regards Mucker Wink

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 07:48:28 PM »

Nice summary, Jonathan. I've been detecting over 20 years and had a few machines before I settled with the XLT
for 6/7 years. Then had a few more thinking the grass was greener before settling with the Deus 18 months ago.
It's the best I've used and I am still learning it.

and you still cant find anything bobbler lol Grin

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal