Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can i go detecting ???  (Read 6565 times)
pjguy68

Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »

Thanks all for the advice, I thought it would be a lot more accesible, just buy a detector and off you go...
looks like a few hours on Google and a few phone calls to make Huh

thanks all

Finds
1 x Medana WW I Trench Watch
Dusty

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »

Any advice available
Is there anywhere other than beaches that i can go detecting without the hassle of tracking down farmers and begging for permission.
Also I do not have the time to commit to joining a club due to irregular work patterns.

Why is there so much secrecy surrounding the location of finds.
I would have thought that as a "Community" of detectorists you would be glad to share the information so that others could visit these sites of interest ?

Dare I say I've never asked for permission. I usually go up the mountain out the way and away to go or maybe find a playground.... Not been on a farmers field without asking, that's asking for agro. Where ever you dig fill the hole in after  Smiley

Just a thought, if you don't fancy knocking on doors (like me) try a post on Gumtree asking if anyone has land you can search on, Preloved might be worth a try as well under 'Wanted'  Wink
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:10:53 PM by Dusty » Logged
wayne

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr grrrrrrrrrrrr

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 09:08:42 PM »

hi pjguy68,
you ve made the 1st step,by joining dw wales,which is great.next step talk to people at rallies etc.
one question to you would be ,if you found a great site,would you want everybody to know about it?

strange women lying in ponds,distributing swords,is no system of picking a leader
pjguy68

Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 03:46:05 PM »

Can i just clear something up..as my first post seems to have ruffled a few feathers.
My fault for not explaining properly.
The comment about sharing locations, was not directed at private property or hard found farm land.
I was, as i have said earlier in the post under the illusion that you could detect almost anywhere (Common Land etc) within reason,
If this was the case then I would certainly share the location of finds with others,
But i can now see others point of view, if you have worked hard to find private land, then, to share that location would be extremely charitable and keeping it to yourself is of course understandable.

Hope this answers your question.

Finds
1 x Medana WW I Trench Watch
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »

Hi pjguy

It's a shame you've been left with such a bad impression of us. I think initially it was as much our fault as yours. We obviously read your message the wrong way.
IF you lived a little closer and IF I had any decent fields you would be most welcome to share. I'm sure, if you've been raeding the posts, you'll realise that good detecting land is extremely hard to find. Even when you do a load of research and go cap in hand to get permission, it isn't a fore- gone conclusion that you'll find anything.
I hope you carry on and find something nice. Happy hunting. Grin

Val

p.s. I've sent you a PM

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Lily
Rally attendee

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »

yes, reading this thread has shown me how difficult it can be to find a place to detect on.   I also just wanted to know what public places we could detect on without breaking any laws etc or needing permission.   Its horrible being a new person at something and not knowing the rules of the game.   But I'm learning as I read this website and the replies given. Cheesy
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 02:36:52 PM »

Short answer is really , nowhere. All land is owned by someone and as such permission needs to be granted by the owner. Beaches....well thats a grey and really depends on what you would like to find. If you think your grandaughter would be happy finding ring pulls and modern money then I'm sure the beach would be good enough for her. Though Newports beaches are probably not the best place to take a 10 year old girl.

That leaves you with Farm, Park and common land.  You cannot detect parks without permission off the council... they nearly never ever give it. You cannot detect common land as common rights are for grazing , not removing artifacts or coins from the soil. So that really leaves you with Farms. And thats normally where I would consider you to start.

Go to the nearest farm to where you live , with your grandaughter and ask very nicely if the farmer has a quiet paddock where your grandaughter can try out her new machine. Remember to remove any rubbish she finds, close gates , fill holes carefully ext. Have a look around and if you get stuck , come back to me and I'll see what I can do from this end.

Regards  Taff (Rob)

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Lily
Rally attendee

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 02:43:03 PM »

oh gosh, its not as easy as one think is it... my daughter's friend actually works on a farm..maybe that would be a good route to go down..worth a try to ask permission.   Thanks again... and if that fails..beach for ring pulls.. Cheesy
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »

Hi Lily and welcome to DW.
I agree with what Rob said. Try your nearest farm But make sure you take the little one with you. She will almost certainly be a clincher. I hated the idea when I started. Still dont like it much and have had a couple of no's. We do have the advantage over the men though. I always think that most Farmers look at me and think 'What a funny old Lady, what harm can she do' and say yes.
The 1st is always the hardest but if you have a friend who works on a farm, then he/she can vouch for you.

Best of luck and happy hunting.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal