Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Metal Detector is best for under 350 Pounds?  (Read 8655 times)
jtalbot0001

« on: August 15, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »

Hi Everyone, I have a friend who wants to take up Metal Detecting, never done it before at all, and has a small budget, say 350 Max, so just been to JoanAllen site just to see what you can get for that money, any suggestions on a decent machine that you can just switch on and go for that kind of money, seen there is Fisher F2/F4/F5 or Whites Coinmaster, any of these good? Thanks, Jon

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
diggerdave1

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:25:26 PM »

Hi..
first of all,where is he most likely to be using the machine?..land? beach? or both?..
u will find alot of dealers, like joan allen..will say a fisher..or minelab..as they are suppliers for this brand..
Regton will suggest a garrett or xp..as the same applies...
there all good brands of macnine and will do the job....
also try looking at cscope...golden mask.....tesoro...laser.....
try Garys metal detecting site plenty of good advice to be found...
go on plenty of detecting forums for metaldetector reviews..........
everybody will have there own opinion as to what machine to buy...
just dont rush into apurchase of an md take your time make sure u get the best machine to suit u!
switch on and go basic controls..or a bells and whistles digital meter machine and most important where will your majority of searching detecting be done... Smiley
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »

Hi Jon, if your friend is not sure if they will stay in the hobby or even if they will be out more than a couple of times a year then I would suggest buying second hand rather than new and getting the most bang for your bucks as you can without getting any thing to complicated that a newby will get frustrated with and give up.
Kev at Staffs has a Whites XLT for Ģ265, the XLT has a fantastic track record and is equally at home on the beach as it is on land. Read the reports but it is a great machine and as simple or difficult as you want to make it. Have a look here;
 http://www.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk/secondhand1.htm

And here's a review from Gary's
http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/xlt.htm
skookum
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 05:15:20 PM »

High,
This is a question that canīt be answered without knowing more about where and what you are mainly interested in searching.
Should you search maily on beaches or on heavily mineralized ground, a PI(pulse induction) detector is generally considered superior becuase false signaling is eliminated.
Minelab (Excalibur) being one of the few exceptions as it uses VLF for under water use.
Also many beach PI detectors are waterproof which can save a lot of money should you be caught by a rogue wave or loose footing and slip into the water.
For land use the trend nowadays goes towards VLF(very low frequency) detectors that have mostly replaced the older style T/R(tansmit/receive) units.
The bonus of VLF detectors is that you can switch into a discriminate mode that enables you to filter out unwanted signals, mostly iron objects.
Although here must be said : operator beware - if you discriminate out tin foil and pull tabs you may exclude a lot of gold objects at the same time since they are in the same conductivity range.
There are also several other important factors to consider, such as:
The availibility of different size coils for the detector.
Do you want visual target identification or just an acoustic signal
Does the manufacturer provide a service facility for the detector, should it become defect
How much does the detector incl. coil weigh - it is definitely NO fun to swing a heavy detector for hours on end.
The ease of operation - many detectorists donīt want to keep fiddling with numerous dials or buttons and prefer a turn on and go unit.

Then there is the question whether you want to buy a new or a used unit.
Operating on a slim budget you will definitely get more value for your money buying used - most of the times at the cost of an expired manufacturer guarantee.
For a general price guideline consult feebay (also under completed listings).
Sadly there are not very many British manufacturers of metal detectors left on the market - C.Scope and Viking being the only ones that come to my mind at the time.
Happy hunting
skookum
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:22:19 PM by skookum » Logged
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 05:22:36 PM »

Thread is over 12 months old dude...

And DFX for Ģ350 for my money anyway.... LOL.

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
brisad
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 06:37:37 PM »

Da Monkey

I think the clue was in the greeting Wink

(No offence meant!)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal