Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Rhyl  (Read 4082 times)
MarcB
NWDD Member

« on: October 12, 2015, 07:01:47 PM »

Hi everyone,

The forum was recommended to me so I thought I'll join up. I'm yet to start metal detecting, I'm currently in the process of researching as much as possible - Metal detectors, pointers, other equipment etc.

I've been researching my local history (Local to Rhyl) struggled a bit in regards to going back past 1800's. I'm really interesting in finding out if there's more to the area other than possible Victorian finds (Not like that's a bad thing haha) Looked in to Rhuddlan Castle and it's surrounding area. Possible sites in Prestatyn, St Asaph, Abergele and Ruthin. Been old-map looking for any proof of settlements that correspond to now private land.
I've also been on google maps, and taken down contact details of farms in the local area - Possible permissions. Looking in to the regulations the do's and dont's of metal detecting - always best to start off on the right foot in my opinion.

I'm looking for as much help and info regarding my local area (Where to try and get permission) info on my 1st decent detector.

Bit of long intro ha, would also like to talk to anyone local to me.
Thanks for reading
Marc
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:08:18 PM »

Hi Marc welcome to The DW Forum. There are quite a few members on here from North Wales and there might be a detecting club
not to far from you. I'm sure that one of the lads will be in touch with you shortly.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
wet feet again

xp Deus

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 06:31:05 AM »

Hi Marc
research is great but you will be amazed by what you find in a field in the middle of nowhere. just part of this great hobby/
ask a farmer for permission pick a field and off you go good luck.
Dungbeetle chris or Hotmill will are the guys to message at local club NWDD

MarcB
NWDD Member

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 07:28:12 AM »

Thank you both for the reply. I've made a post in the club section. Looking forward to getting started.
jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:44:18 AM »

look in your PM`s

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »

Hi Marc,
                welcome to the forum. Plenty of good advice and guidance available in here. Also plenty of knowledge and good humour.
Rhyl library is a good starting place for historic information on the Rhyl area.

I have only detected the beach at Rhyl twice and didn't come away with much; just a couple of modern coins. I also had a quick go at Barkby, Prestatyn, and Kinmel Bay, but never did find enough to dance about. I have spent a lot of time on the sands between Talacre and Presthaven. From end to end and between high and low water lines you get just under a square mile of beach to detect. Eons of scrap iron deposits and WWII spent projectiles make detecting there something of a major test of one's patience.

After five years, I am still working on deciphering the puzzle that is Talacre.  Wink

* First try.jpg (136.45 KB, 379x524 - viewed 328 times.)

* Talacre finds reportage.jpg (133.26 KB, 397x561 - viewed 324 times.)

* Itemised list.jpg (70.71 KB, 362x472 - viewed 359 times.)

* 14 4 2015.jpg (289.15 KB, 488x704 - viewed 464 times.)

* Talacre leftovers.jpg (178.14 KB, 534x607 - viewed 506 times.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:52:54 AM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
MarcB
NWDD Member

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 09:48:14 AM »

Hi Jay, I'll look again now. I wasn't able to reply before due post count
MarcB
NWDD Member

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 10:06:44 AM »

Hi Marc,
                welcome to the forum. Plenty of good advice and guidance available in here. Also plenty of knowledge and good humour.
Rhyl library is a good starting place for historic information on the Rhyl area.

I have only detected the beach at Rhyl twice and didn't come away with much; just a couple of modern coins. I also had a quick go at Barkby, Prestatyn, and Kinmel Bay, but never did find enough to dance about. I have spent a lot of time on the sands between Talacre and Presthaven. From end to end and between high and low water lines you get just under a square mile of beach to detect. Eons of scrap iron deposits and WWII spent projectiles make detecting there something of a major test of one's patience.

After five years, I am still working on deciphering the puzzle that is Talacre.  Wink

Nice finds! And thank you for the reply. I often see numerous people metal detecting on the beach.
I'm trying to find out if anyone has detected on any local farms in the Rhyl area. Very interested in seeing what can be unearthed.
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 03:44:27 PM »

Welcome!

XP Deus user
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 07:00:52 PM »

Very warm welcome MarkB,Detecting Wales is a great forum,with some really knowledgeable folks to help you out on any of you metal detecting queries.
Good luck👍
MarcB
NWDD Member

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 07:20:01 PM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Big thanks to Hotmill that's sorting me out.

Really looking forward to get started Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal