Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Detecting Wales Rally 35 - The Wacky Races Rally!  (Read 24199 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: August 07, 2011, 11:58:39 AM »

Detectingwales.com headed to the Vale of Glamorgan yesterday for a promising site slap bang in the middle of Roman and Medieval history. Unfortunately the day didn't quite turn out as we had hoped.

The day started with a Welsh verion of Wacky Races! Two days before the rally, the farmer had to change the rally venue to another one of his fields as the original one was not ready. The directions we had were a tad off and when we arrived at 8.20am - there were cars full of detectorists headed round in all directions. Mutley and I rounded them up and added more direction signs, so hopefully everyone found it in the end.

Anyway following a bit of confusion and a bit of shock at the height of the stubble, Rob managed to negotiate a much shorter stubble field (field B) just a few minutes from the original site.

After the introduction, must people headed off to field B. I decided to stay in the original field with about 10 other members. I hadn't even got my machine out of my car when a beaming Melonhead wandered up with a hammered coin in his hand. Well done mate.

I had a brief detect around the area where the cars had parked and firstly found a sixpence dated 1940, which I quickly followed a few steps later with a Vicky "Bun Head" threepence (or Joey as Chef likes to call them! Roll Eyes)dated 1875.

Heading across the field I found Mark who had a giant of a bronze pot leg in his hand. Everyone else I spoke to seemed to have found plenty of coppers, muset balls, buckles, thimbles etc, but nothing of any real age.

Shortly after Benny, Norman the Sheepdog and his good lady happened upon me puzzling over a small box I had found that rattled and seemed very familiar. Benny quickly pointed out thats a tape measure mate! And feeling a little stupid into the rubbish pocket it went!

Before I left the field I found another sixpence 1938 this time. I was having a great milled silver day. I have found nearly more milled and hammered silver this year, than the past two years combined! I have a theory on the reason why which I'll post in a later thread.

Rob and I popped off to see the farmer and secured another rally date with him on hopefully more productive fields. More news on that to follow.

On our return I focussed on field B and found nothing of interest except a sizeable piece of flint, which Debbie had also found a piece of. As we know flint is not local to this area and as Debbie said "We are touching something that was probably last touched by Neolithic man" It makes you stop and think for a moment!

Passingclod happened upon us with a lovely George III shilling, that he was rightfully pleased with.

I had a chat with No Hammies in the field - a really nice guy who is quite new to detecting but looks like he is really enjoying himself. Amongst his finds he had a Victorian name badge with the name Annie on it. He was pleasantly suprised when I pointed out it was silver and showed him the hallmarks. We'll date it for you in a mo mate.

Back near the cars Tom Tom had done pretty well with a broken Roman fibula and a hammered groat that had taken a pasting off the plough, ripping it in half. He searched in vain for the other half, but it was not to be found.

Just as I was heading off Rollingstone had found a Roman that is a tad grotty and adds to the other two that had come up earlier in the day. Photos anyone?

I also know that Alan found a lovely silver buckle ring (sorry for the earlier confusion again Al). There was also another hammered doing the rounds I never got to see, photo please.

Well it wasn't our most successful day out, but I think most people enjoyed themselves going by the amount of conversations going on everywhere. Thats the main thing I love about Detectingwales rallies is the friendships that you see being made.

Time to watch the mighty Bluebirds spank the Hammers for me now. Someone I know is flying a "We are for ever being bubbled!" flag in the Cardiff end in protest to the ludicrous Police policy of "Bubbling" Cardiff fans. Look out forit! It happens to no other team on the scale we face it and is completely unjustified and potentially a breach of human rights. But thats a whole other story - Rant over! Enjoy the game guys.

Until next time
Neil

* B melonhead hammered.JPG (49.36 KB, 571x428 - viewed 412 times.)

* B Melonhead profile.JPG (40.08 KB, 571x428 - viewed 408 times.)

* B sixpence in the soil Neil.JPG (72.24 KB, 428x571 - viewed 385 times.)

* B sixpence 1 out of the soil.JPG (52.68 KB, 571x428 - viewed 406 times.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:11:55 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 12:01:43 PM »

More

* B threepence in the soil Neil.JPG (102.41 KB, 428x571 - viewed 386 times.)

* B threepence obverse.JPG (46.64 KB, 571x428 - viewed 379 times.)

* B Neil tapemeasure.JPG (60.57 KB, 571x428 - viewed 401 times.)

* B Debbies chilling.JPG (56.13 KB, 571x428 - viewed 389 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 12:03:27 PM »

Again

* B another sixpence Neil.JPG (97.48 KB, 428x571 - viewed 387 times.)

* B Neil and Debbies flints.JPG (51.28 KB, 571x428 - viewed 388 times.)

* B Mark potleg.JPG (52.4 KB, 428x571 - viewed 380 times.)

* B tom toms broken fibula.JPG (31.1 KB, 571x428 - viewed 395 times.)

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »

Again

* B Edward penny.JPG (55.98 KB, 571x428 - viewed 393 times.)

* B No Hammies silver badge.JPG (46.23 KB, 571x428 - viewed 410 times.)

* B No Hammies silver reverse.JPG (50.28 KB, 571x428 - viewed 389 times.)

* B Neils finds.JPG (64.73 KB, 428x571 - viewed 404 times.)

* Saterday's rally silver ring 2.jpg (40.03 KB, 392x288 - viewed 696 times.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:34:58 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 12:06:15 PM »

More

* B Passing clod George III.JPG (54.75 KB, 571x428 - viewed 415 times.)

* B rolling stone Roman.JPG (57.07 KB, 571x428 - viewed 414 times.)

* B tom Toms profile.JPG (53.67 KB, 571x428 - viewed 495 times.)

* B tom toms torn groat.JPG (44.14 KB, 571x428 - viewed 502 times.)

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 01:57:33 PM »

Arrr that's ok Neil,   you were gone by the time i came down with the Ring,

West Ham looked more like cooked ham by the time the boys finnished with them  ha ha

good ole Marshall too,

ancientpat

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »

Hi All,
I stuck it out all day in the first fields with the long stubble and was rewarded with my first hammered of the season. I thought that it was a Lizzie sixpence but it is in  such a bad state thay I could not be sure but when I examined it at home I realised it is in fact a James 1st sixpence. the date is 1603 and when I examined the reverse it was obvious that it is a Scottish shield not an English one , it is such a shame that it is in such poor condition as James coins don't come up that often.
I enjoyed my day out as it is a while since I managed a DW rally and it was great to meet up with some old faces but by 3 oclock the long stubble had me beaten.

Pat. Wink Wink
tyna

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »

Great day out as usual guys - thank you  Smiley. Icing on the cake was my cwtch with DW Casanova Raymondoooooo   Cool
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »

Well Done Pat - I think that brings it to four hammereds on the day.

Any chance of a photo or you can e-mail it to me if you like to post up?

Thanks for the Portable Antiquites Report as well - loads of finds I recognise in it. Some from current and former DW members. Very much appreciated mate.

Cheers
Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:21:52 PM »

yes really enjoyed thanks

Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 05:24:25 PM »

enjoyed myself at yesterdays ralley as always.not alot myself just a modern 2p to come home with.. but hey there.ll be plenty more in the next coming weeks lets all look forward to them. and shake yesterdays off.lol..welldone to the little couple who did find.also great to talk to a few newbies.
heres 2 pictures i took at the ralley.
cheers all.
raymondo.

* Roman Rays guest at yesterdays ralley !!.JPG (125.38 KB, 588x441 - viewed 452 times.)

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 05:26:41 PM »

forgot the second one.lol.

* STEVEN KING-MELONHEAD-TAFFLAFF-NO HAMMYS !!.JPG (120.39 KB, 554x415 - viewed 711 times.)

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »

found nothing to note , mainly as i couldnt remember how to set up my f75(thanks to seasider for the set up help ). but enjoyed the day none the less ,looking forward to the next.

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
ancientpat

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 06:17:32 PM »

Hi Neil,

Glad the report was okay, Rob took some pictures yesterday so I don't know if he can post them for me but as I said in my report it is in very poor condition and because the reverse was readable I was able to identify it as I thought in the field it was a Lizzie sixpence. If you can't get the pictures from Rob let me know and I will take some myself.
             Cheers,

Pat. Wink Wink
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 06:53:35 PM »

Thanks for another fun day out  Smiley

I didn't have a great day for finds unfortunately, but late in the afternoon did manage a small piece of flint, a coin weight which is not very photogenic, and this nice buckle, which dates 1620-1680.

* Buckle 060811.JPG (60.35 KB, 600x402 - viewed 1012 times.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:56:42 PM by peterh » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal