Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Treasure finds and the process of declaring?  (Read 8347 times)
jtalbot0001

« on: August 02, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Please can people who have been lucky enough to find something that was a treasure find and who have dealt with the process just explain a few things, I see Rob and Ian had two posts in the past, so maybe you both can help? Anyone else feel free please.

I have contacted the FLO and she has I believe contacted the local Coroner. She has given me a Treasure Case Number and I have given her pictures of the finds and the details of where it was found etc, and I have also told and shown the land owner etc. I still have the objects in question!

So my question/s are the following: How long should it take for the Coroner to declare the finds treasure? To me it's a 5 minute thing? Secondly, should I have any paperwork in any shape or form, now and/or later? I read that Ian mentioned a "..dcms receipt" what is that? Thirdly as I have the finds still, should I get some sort of receipt for them when handing them in? Should I only hand in the finds when I have heard something from the Coroner?

I just feel like that, although the FLO was helpful and was initially enthusiastic about the find, it's just gone silent, its only just over a week, so maybe I need to be patient, but still. I also just feel like that if I was the FLO, I would be wanting the Treasure Finds to be handed in yesterday, and making sure that they are handed in. I don't know, it's like there is no enthusiasm on getting the process rolling. I know the valuation side etc etc could take months, but I had an idea in my mind that the initial process would be quick? I'm also dying to know what my finds look like, as I haven't yet had them cleaned!

Oh yes, I would have thought that the FLO would have put something on the PAS site for the find, a record, or does that happen only later on after it is declared?

Thanks all, cheers, Jon

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »

very new ground for me im afraid,have found 2 treasure cases this year,,tudor silver bodkin,,,2 parts of a ring{defo medi,mayde only saxon gold to come from herefordshire so far},,,,all i know its takin ages ,,not bothered if its worth anything or not just cheesed off that its taking so long.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »

just noticeed you have the objects in question,,,mine disapeared in a puff of smoke and all thats left are the photos  Cry Cry Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »

The coroner can only make a decision when he has a report from the British museum which they will send him when they have completed there examination of the find.
Have you noticed the obvious delay in your case Huh
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Why have you still got them Jon  Grin
You have got to hand them in Grin nothing will happen until you do.
I have had 2 treasure cases in the last 18 months both thankfully have been returned, one after only 3 months due to it only being a small Roman silver ring fragment and the other which took just over a year was due to the date not being positively tied down to 300+ years, neither of these ever reached the coroners court so you could be waiting a very long time.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »

Oh and by the way the Pas record will not show the item until the outcome is known so don't hold your breath.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 06:08:40 PM »

tis true Grin,geoff may remember me telling him about me posting pics of some roman silver coins and i said i would when ive got em back from flo,,,well they havent appeared on the pass site as yet,aparantly the paper work hasnt been done yet{so im told to wait till sept till i get em back,same as treasure finds,not on pas,,,,,the way its going the flo is going to have more of my stuff than i do Grin Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
jtalbot0001

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 06:09:34 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys! Ah, you ask why I have the finds still, well, it's because nobody is really asking me for them, which I find a little strange?? And secondly, I really need to find out about paperwork/receipts etc, cause I'm not giving it in and then finding out nobody knows anything about me giving it in. It's also partly the fact that I have got two FLO's involved, one has done the initial recording, and the other is the one I am supposedly giving the finds too, IE. Kurt Adams. And so i don't know how they link the finds and the case together?

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 06:13:26 PM »

That's their problem Jon I wouldn't worry about it, Just hand it over to which ever one and they will give you a normal PAS receipt and a treasure receipt.
jtalbot0001

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 06:17:57 PM »

Well thats a reilef, thanks for that Geoff!

romano-brit

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »

took nearly 3 years for 3 silver romans to go through treasure trove, in my opinon  it was a total watse of time and money

all i got was 60 quid for the 3 coins and had to split that 50/50 which they do straight away

ive never declared anything since then and hardly record my finds anymore either, coz to me its pointless

but thats just my veiw

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »

Why is recording pointless RB?
romano-brit

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »

i find it takes for ever to get anything off our FLO and you can get it done so much quicker on any of the tecting websites

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 07:56:37 PM »

Ah OK, yes they do have one hell of a backlog and I for one wouldn't want their job, unfortunately some detectorists believe the their FLO is theirs alone and cant seem to wait their turn as it were. UKDFD is very good but it's a shame the data is not linked to any researchable database.
I would advise anyone who wants to record is to start recording yourself through PAS, I can find a coin and have it recorded and on the Pas database in 10 minutes, simple.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 07:59:07 PM »

i think this is a good idea ,im down as a self recorder,something i havent done before though,but am seriously considering it for the future finds.

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head