Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: digging and digging.....  (Read 6860 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 09:54:58 PM »

Grin Grin Very true Jon, both of you Cheesy
But on saying all of that I did hold the record on a club dig back in the early eighties I dug nearly 4 foot in the middle of a farmers field and found............A FRIDGE
The best of it was when I told the farmer jokingly about it, he looked at me as if I'd gone daft and then he asked ME how it got there Grin Grin
Jon1987

From - Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire.

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 09:59:41 PM »

Have you been hiding fridges on farmers fields all this time? The metal detecting is an elaborate cover up!! Shocked

Thing is... How do you Sneak a fridge into a field?  Grin Grin
jtalbot0001

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 10:11:27 PM »

LOL! A fridge is the last thing I would ever expect to find, that is amazing!! Well I hope nobody buried that with a person inside or something, I mean just makes you wonder just how a fridge managed to get buried without the farmer actually knowing? Sidetracking slightly here, I read on another forum that somebody dug up a squashed coke can, but luckily before just throwing it away turned it around and found a Charles 1st shilling stuck to it!! You never know!! Oh, and I have seen before, that somebody found a rolled piece of lead, but luckily decided to unroll it and actually found a Roman gold coin inside!!!! I wont forget this fridge story LOL, fancy that, a CHEF finding a FRIDGE lol, can only happen to you Geoff!!

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 10:36:15 PM »

Strange, Geoff reminding us about that sword. I had one of those funny signals last week and pin pointing I could tell it was long and narrow so I had a go.  Deep, as usual, got there and saw rust and thought 'lump of old iron' but  was curious about the shape, about 2-3 inches across. Dug along it a bit and a bit more and then thought  SWORD. Shocked
Ha Ha what a laugh. Took me ages to get it all uncovered and loosened. Carefully used spade to lift and pulled it out to discover - ANGLE IRON. hey ho. Praps next time. Grin

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »

By the way Geoff. I can go 1 better, though I haven't dug it up yet. I have an old Jalopy (or 2) buried in my field.
The previous owners Son, now in his 50's, lives down the lane. He told me that when he and his brother and friends were young they used to race them around my field till they dropped to pieces. All they did then was dig a hole and bury them. NICE.
I know this is what a few Farmers do to get rid of old rubbish. Angry
What chance have we got.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
tyna

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »

I still can't get the vision of you out of my mind digging up that fridge Cheffy  Smiley. I have slept on it but it keeps coming back  Grin Grin. Bless  Grin Grin
bulbus

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 08:46:44 PM »

just a little quick story..... a few years ago when i had my first tattoo done i was talking about what designs he had done and he told me that the one day his mate had someone come in wanting a tattoo, when asked what hye wanted he told the tattoist, ahhh just do anything.. Shocked.   
    when he finished... he showed him what he,d done........A FRIDGE!!!!!!

thats honestly true...
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 09:11:49 PM »

Cheesy  lol bulbus a fridge well thats different lol  like the story .Nap
bulbus

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 10:13:08 AM »

just bought a garrett pin pointer..... Grin  if that says dig then i,m gonna carry on digging.. Cheesy

hopefully not quite to 4 foot though......

ohh.... one of the fields i,ve got access to does surpossed to have a UXB in though.. Shocked  might give that field a miss..
bulbus

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 10:21:09 AM »

ohh. i know what i was going to ask... does any one get a signal on only the one way when sweeping, its
quite a good signal and would be worth digging if a double signal so to speak..

any info would be greatly appreciated.. Smiley
Jon1987

From - Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire.

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 11:05:27 AM »

Yes I get those one way signals quite often. On quite a few of them they have turned out to be coins, so make sure I dig them.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 01:02:32 PM »

Well done on the Garrett Pro pointer Bulbus... good move. A lot of times you keep digging and digging its in the side of the hole. I use my pro pointer almost every hole. Last thing you  want to do is put your spade through the face of a mint Gold hammered or lovely patina'd axe head.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
bulbus

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »

yeah, all ready had a hole out and the coin was in the side... Grin

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal