Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upsetting the farmer's wife.  (Read 2221 times)
win

« on: July 20, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »

This happened a couple of years ago. The more I think back on it, the funnier it gets. We arrived at a farm to ask permission. The farmer agreed but asked us to take a detector in to his farmhouse living room. 'Sons used to have one of them things, only a toy, but they reckoned there was something in the floor by the fire' We tried it and sure enough got a good signal.
                The farmer got excited and within a few seconds was down on his knees cutting an 'L' shape into the carpet. It was a very old farmhouse with the carpet just laid on cardboard over an earth floor. His wife started to complain so he jumped up, took a bundle of £10 notes from his inside pocket and said to his 2 sons 'Here, one of you lads take mother shopping !'
               We left him cutting away. Had a poor day detecting but went back to the farmhouse to say thank you and show what little we had found. The farmer was unhappy, he showed us a rusty nail 'That's what it was' he said pointing to the carpet. We told him that the signal was non-ferrous and he insisted we brought a detector into the house again. Sure enough the signal was still there, loud and clear. His face changed and within a few seconds he was on his knees cutting away again and making quite a dirty patch on the surrounding carpet. Mother looked at us with a mixture of anger and despair. So we made our goodbyes and got out before she blew. Never been back so I don't know what was there.
                Anybody else got an interesting story ?
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 04:48:13 AM »

Aw! You need to work on the ending of that one. At least a 16th century gold hoard or a buried faberge egg!

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 08:15:23 AM »

Similar to a story I was told back in January. I got talking to a fella down the lane one morning when walking the dogs. Turned out he is the new Game Keeper for one of the big Estates round here. Very promising, at the time.!!! He was going to let me onto a few 'good' fields when the shooting had finished but when I phoned him in April he told me they'd 'Had Trouble' with a couple of blokes detecting and it was now banned. Ah Well.!!!!
He told me that when he accepted the job he had a coice of 2 houses and chose the old farm house. He was taken to have a look by the retiring Game Keeper who said he'd let him into a secret. There was something buried under the floor in the parlour. He knew this because some years ago someone with a detector had a signal but his Wife, now dead, wouldn't let him dig.
Because the carpet was in threads and he was going they deceided to 'have a go' They pulled out the old carpet, lifted some old slabs and started digging. An exhausting couple of hours and a big hole later they gave up, having found nothing. But when back filling they found a piece of rusty old iron and assumed that was what gave the signal. I said possibly he should have checked it out with a more modern detector as mine knew the difference between iron and other metals (sometimes) But he declined the offer as there is now a new carpet. I wonder if they were digging in the right place, and is there still something there. Shocked

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal