Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Detecting Wales Rally 33 - The Mad Cows and Happy Farmers Wife Rally.  (Read 14317 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« on: July 09, 2011, 07:54:54 PM »

A disjointed day for myself today, as with no car I felt like a Hitchhiking Bum trying to get to and leave the rally. A soggy morning greeted 50 Gill Breathing Detecting Wales members which left the going soft under foot.

One of the highlights of the day for me was Ade minelab rescuing the farmer wife's Earing Back from the sticky mud, she was so pleased! A fantastic result fella, well winkled!   (See Shunggav's account of the day below)

well what can i say.................. well it was sunny as we turned up Neil and taff was talking to the farmer and Mrs farmers wife who had lost the back off her ear ring ademinelab was on it 5 mins later the back of the ear ring was back in the arms of the farmers wife well done dad ............... i spent the morning wondering around after the 'talk' i went right to the far-vest field away not to much to talk about just a 2p peace so on ward and up words,after the 50 million animal tubes i walked back to car park field  were for half hour i sat smoking my e fag  and talking to taff ,i then head to the car for lunch were i meet up with ademinelab who had 2 Vicky penny and a nice big button,ok after the bag of crisp and stake onion pie and kit kat (not red no 10 k)off we went again i had big spoon and a spoon handle with gr which i take is George royal,i struted my self back to the car were i was talking to a very nice chap 'i fine no hammys' nice to meet u. then every one was leavin so i choose to do were the cars were parked  and just in front of the car taff drove off in a lovley vicky 3 pence bun head dateed 1885 and as we talkin ade turn up with two hourse bass few more buttons and and not bad nick geoge the 3rd thanks dw see you all at the next rally

Shunggav...

After speaking to the farmer and his wife about which fields we could use and we set about the serious task of winkling out the farms earthly goodies...... At least that was the plan. Finds were few and far between and soon there were many dispondent and puzzled faces trudging the Dozen fields we had to play in.

If there was a competition for medicine tube finds then the Rally would probably have been the most successful of all time, however as none of us detectorists were of Bovine Origin and all of us were devoid of eye infections the tubes were an uneccessary distraction and no use to man or beast (Barring cows).

Eventually finds started appearing (Not in my bag though) and A nice Gothic Victoria Florin appeared courtesy of Mrs Stampy, it was her first 'Shiny' coin that she'd had and was beaming from ear to ear, much to Mr Stampys bemusement  Grin.

Next up was a pretty butterfly brooch off a young very polite chap who runs by the name of Scrappy Doo (Wayno's Son) Nice kid , and I think he's going to start outdoing Dad and Grandad.

Neil had a handful of pre decimal coppers but had to leave early due to other commitments and as everyone were spread out over a large area I struggled to get many pics. Lets hope the members can rectify this and upload some of their own.

I know of two or three nice spindlewhorls coming up and a few Roman grots along with with a brace of hammered coins from Romano Brit - Nice to meet you at long last fella  (see Romano Brits Account of today below.)

well what can i say, after being desturbed by hearing about cows doing naughty things with cars LoL and a great little speach about the fieldsoff i set wondering what welsh goodies i might find, well for the 1st 2 and a half hours all i had to show was a cartwheel penny, a irish george half penny ( a 1st for me ) and 100's of cattle tubes, bloody things give off a great signal

After that i thought lets try the cattle fields, after going over the sty, the 1st signal was a 1918 penny followed by another 1, great start to the field nout much else a worn viccy penny, loads of lead and a piece of bronze pot

Then tryed the field on the other side of the lane, not a huge field, but WOW wondered across to the far side without a single signal, but then right in the corner got a worn roman 4th cent, not bad start, then followed the hedge row, watching every other tectorist there running swinging from dusk till dawn, god knows how they find anything like that??

I got a rather dodgy signal, like you get from a shottie cap, dug it and out of the clod poped a tiny little Eddy hammie, london mint, had to do the hammy dance LoL

A few pieces of lead later, again a shottie signal out popped an Irish eddy, dublin mint, shame abits missing, then i got a rather worn Lizzie 1st, had to go home after that, but on the way out managed to find a tiny Viccy 3d, dated 1860, again a first for me

So overall had a great rally, defo want to go there again when the rest  of the fields are cut

ill try to put some pics up soon, as the cameras playing up at the mo

Romano Brit

Welshbreed had what I would say was find of the Rally when he called me over to see a  'Roman coin'  I was expecting to see a grot nestling in his hand but Oh No!!!! There was a stunning nice thick Denari - found in the same field as Romano's Three hammereds and Vick 3D. Well done fella a tremendous find.

All in all some nice finds surfaced this rally although there was in my opinion a distinct shortage of pre decimal and milled silver. As I said to a few members.

"Dw rallys are held with the strictest of Christian Traditions, in that once a year we have a Turkey"  Roll Eyes

I would like to thank all the kind offers of a lift home, It shows that there is a lot of friendly people on this forum.

* Shirenewton 2 001.jpg (134.68 KB, 800x600 - viewed 436 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 002.jpg (145.55 KB, 800x600 - viewed 443 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 005.jpg (101.07 KB, 800x600 - viewed 486 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 008.jpg (260.06 KB, 800x600 - viewed 466 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 007.jpg (106.87 KB, 800x600 - viewed 467 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 009.jpg (224.07 KB, 800x600 - viewed 438 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 011.jpg (182.98 KB, 800x600 - viewed 458 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 013.jpg (234.43 KB, 800x600 - viewed 455 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 014.jpg (211.94 KB, 800x600 - viewed 426 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 015.jpg (129.72 KB, 800x600 - viewed 502 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 016.jpg (134.72 KB, 800x600 - viewed 521 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 017.jpg (111.71 KB, 800x600 - viewed 531 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 018.jpg (115.17 KB, 800x600 - viewed 527 times.)

* Shirenewton 2 019.jpg (133.01 KB, 800x600 - viewed 566 times.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 07:57:10 PM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Jon1987

From - Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire.

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:08:46 PM »

Really Enjoyed myself again today, even if I did only get a few pre-decimals!

That silver roman is making my mouth water. My turn next time  Wink
Debbie

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:36:44 PM »

A nice range of silver - Roman, hammered and Victorian - well done.  Also, 2 patterned spindle whorls - lovely finds  Wink
Deb
romano-brit

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 09:04:33 PM »

was a great day, nice to meet some pepole off here at last

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 09:09:09 PM »

thanks to the dw boys for making me feel welcome didnt have the best of finds but met some great chaps and had a great day, cant wait for the next one many thanks al. and a great late find by shungav ?

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 09:17:43 PM »

One horse Al had a weird coin/ token Circular in shape  creamy beige metal ,  Crown above a large C with a X in the middle of the C.  Any ideas guys ?  Any chance of a pic Al ?

dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 09:19:19 PM »

A good day out nice to chat to a few i aint met before and the chance to see folks i aint seen for years....hh to all......PaulB. Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 09:25:19 PM »

Thanks to the team for another fine day out.

I didn't find a lot myself - a Roman grot and a couple of bits of scrap silver, a few buttons, one Georgian blank halfpenny, an obsolete 10p and a spendable 2p!

Still enjoyed the day and good to see that there were some decent finds - that denarius is lovely - I believe it is Septimius Severus.
shunggav

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 09:25:39 PM »

One horse Al had a weird coin/ token Circular in shape  creamy beige metal ,  Crown above a large C with a X in the middle of the C.  Any ideas guys ?  Any chance of a pic Al ?

i goggled taff description lol

* dscf0645.jpg (34.93 KB, 460x345 - viewed 489 times.)

The chicken came first – God would look silly sitting on an egg...... if u like me add me on facebook........ gavin  warren
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 09:36:48 PM »

Could be a coin of Christian X of Denmark. A few here:

http://www.muenzauktion.com/sesambestcoins/cat.php5?catid=2150&lang=jp
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 09:52:55 PM »

Damn Peter , has anyone told you that you're good ?  Cos you are ! Categorically a God amongst us mere mortals.  Grin

Thats exactly what it was.  I must have given a good description  Roll Eyes

The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 09:59:14 PM »

Damn Peter , has anyone told you that you're good ?  Cos you are ! Categorically a God amongst us mere mortals.  Grin

Thanks Rob. I have been known to walk on water occasionally as well  Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 10:17:25 PM »

But how are you with the old water to wine thing? only asking because I could bring a bowser to the next rally Cheesy
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 10:52:53 PM »

welldone to all who found at the ralley.great finds again welldone all.
raymondo.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 07:18:26 AM »

Great report Rob - well done mate.

Lovely condition denari and  the Gothic florin is a nice find.

I have some more photos to add - but on my way out - will do it Monday.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal