Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: coal finds  (Read 10764 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »

Yes I agree with Bob (there's something wrong with that statement Cheesy) The Omega is good contender as is it's stable-mate the new G2.
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »

Also you could well be on very acidic soil that has been treated with burnt limestone in the past. (coke is a by product of burning process) If you finds are very corroded including copper alloy items this is most likely the case .(Ask the landowner about the soil PH to comfirm this)
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 04:40:54 PM »

Yes I agree with Bob (there's something wrong with that statement Cheesy) The Omega is good contender as is it's stable-mate the new G2.

Blimey!  Grin

I've seen the Omega (7.8khz)  in action many times and it's so easy to use, efficient, and really does the business in
terms of hammered (cut halves/quarters) etc.

The G2 (19khz) is fairly new out and another friend has done tests with it and said it excellent and not far behind
the Deus (which he owns) in terms of depth and recovery speed. Obviously the Deus has more versatility but for the money, he really rated it.

The G2 is about £100 more than the Omega to buy but will be easier to sell, if you need too, as it's more known and in demand.

Let us know what machine you buy!

Rob Two Spades

XP Deus

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »

Both those machines still sound off on coke though, and you'll have to dig holes because tiny silver items is exactly the same output signal. The GM3+ is single frequency and squeals only with coke, grunts mean iron and everything in between is a mid tone 'dig it' signal.
The best machine to avoid coke I ever used was the Etrac. I dig loads of coke with my T2Ltd, but I don't mind as the odd signal turns into a hammered Eddy!

2017:
9 Hammereds - best: Edward IV Groat
46 Roman Bronze
1 Roman Denarius
Late Saxon strap end
2 Roman rings
2 Roman brooches
1 Roman Seal box
rhyso

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 04:50:29 PM »

ill have a look into what you mentioned, thanks for the advice, and yes ill let you know what machine i get. need to get my finger out and get permission to dig from farmers before i buy new machine!  Tongue Tongue

"For me archaeology is not a source of illustrations for written texts, but an independent source of historical information, with no less value and importance, sometimes more importance, that the written sources"
Humfrey

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 06:33:03 PM »

i have dug up allot of charcoal aswell with my euroace
bajero

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 08:39:16 PM »

yup, when using my whites xlt I usually turn up the odd hot rock, sounds like silver, but as chef says with practice u will learn the different tones,however if in doubt dig it. If however I am using the ex 11 I very rarely pick up coke/hot rocks,it seems to discriminate them out.

As for choosing another machine u need to decide what type of detecting u do most,read plenty of reviews and ask loads of advice before parting with ur cash.
 I tend to use the xlt to cover ground quickly and try to find any concentrations of finds (it allows a faster sweep speed than the ex11), then I will use the ex11 to cover the ' hot spots' (the slower sweep speed ensures that u cover the area in greater detail,it is also deeper).
I can also use the ex11 on the beach but it ain't so good on plough. However technology has moved on and as suggested teknetics have good affordable machines that cover most bases.
Others to consider are: xp goldmaxx , gm3+, troy shadow x5 for the price bracket in mind.
Pob lwc
rhyso

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 10:19:28 AM »

been doing some research and Ive narrowed it down to a few machines. the one i need answers with is the Minelab X-TERRA 705. most reviews boast how good it is with gold. i don't go detecting specifically for gold, i want to find the coins and all that aswell. is this machine good in the fields, pasture / plowed? the other thing is you have to buy a different coil to get different frequency. I'm not to hot on that front, what do i need to know?

"For me archaeology is not a source of illustrations for written texts, but an independent source of historical information, with no less value and importance, sometimes more importance, that the written sources"
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 10:27:30 AM »

Yes the 705 is an excellent machine, if your buying new....great, but if your thinking of S/H then don't forget the X-terra 70 as this has exactly the same performance as the newer 705.
It's gold finding capabilities are generally talked about in "prospecting" terms when using the 18.75KHz 6" coil. If your doing general detecting then the 10.5" 7.7KHz (standard on the 705) and/or the 18.75KHz elliptical coil are the ones to have.
rhyso

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 10:33:53 AM »

ok great, i forgot to mention the other one i had in mind was the MINELAB SOVEREIGN GT, its a bit more expensive but how much better than the 705 is it? is it worth the extra £150   Shocked

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 10:41:05 AM »

Ahhh! OK, hang on I'll need to put my tin hat on to answer this one Grin
Personally I would be going for the Sov but this is only due to it being deeper on pasture and the king on beaches (the x-terra's are no good on wet sand). However for comfort (weight) and pleasure in use then the XTerra just takes takes it.
rhyso

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »

im used to having a machine with a digital display so i like the 705 for this. how hard are the sov to use and get used to? the 705 seems simpler but i want that depth!!

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 10:55:09 AM »

The Sov is simple, although it gives a multitude of tones, There are basically only three to worry about just like your Ace and with the Sov you can say goodbye to Coke as like the Explorers it doesn't see it..
rhyso

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »

one more post and im off for lunch!!!! thanks for that Chef, where wud be the best place to get one? idealy in the UK.

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 11:04:54 AM »

I personally get all my stuff from Detecnicks, Give Laura a ring on 01243 545060 and I'm sure she will be able to give you a good deal and take your Ace in part ex if that's what your planning.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal