Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: coal finds  (Read 10767 times)
rhyso

« on: June 29, 2011, 11:29:15 AM »

ive been scanning away at my spot for a few weeks now, nice finds and all the rubbish to go with it but ive been finding a lot of coal / really hard carchole. machine thinks its metal  Undecided Undecided Undecided any ideas?

"For me archaeology is not a source of illustrations for written texts, but an independent source of historical information, with no less value and importance, sometimes more importance, that the written sources"
romano-brit

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 11:35:42 AM »

what machine do you use?? if its a goldmax they love that sort of thing

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:36:05 AM »

They are what we call Hot Rocks Rhyso.

They tend to be coal or charcoal that has been fired and will show up on some machines, but not all. They used to be a pain on my Muskateer, but not evena squeak on the Explorer. On the plus side - I have always taken the finding of them as at least showing occupation on a site.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
tyna

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 11:55:31 AM »

Rhyso - if you have a meter on your machine it should give a good indication and stop you digging them  : Huh
rhyso

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »

i thought hot rocks were actual rocks not burnt material??. im using ace 250, you cant discriminate as they usually show in silver range on my machine! time to get a better machine?!

"For me archaeology is not a source of illustrations for written texts, but an independent source of historical information, with no less value and importance, sometimes more importance, that the written sources"
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »

Your right Rhyso, they are not "Hot Rocks" in the true sense but are just pieces coke, They will sound off in the silver range on many single frequency machines and so you disc them out at your peril, however they will usually appear in the same place and the tone is slightly different to that of a good target in the same region. A bit of practice listening to their signal and that of a 10p Huh (if that's close) may help you to be able to tell the difference.
win

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:28:28 PM »

I think hot rocks often come from the old steam engines that were used for threshing, binding, etc. These enormous machines were the first efforts at mechanisation of farming and must have been a major step forward at the time.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 09:32:30 PM »

lumps of coke on the beach from the steel works Angry

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 09:49:31 PM »

I think hot rocks often come from the old steam engines that were used for threshing, binding, etc. These enormous machines were the first efforts at mechanisation of farming and must have been a major step forward at the time.
Yes I think your right Win much of the coke that turns up probably comes from the old steam ploughing.
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 12:36:44 AM »

In the Vale of Glamorgan they have used huge amounts of coke on some farms as land fill (like green waste) and as drainage additives for farm gate ground cover. They usually give a bouncy signal, meaning the signal seems to jump about and give inconsistent audio responses on my Etrac, and a loud iron response on my CScope. Either way, the audio can be used to screen them out because it is such a messy signal it is obviously coke.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »

On the Deus they come in about 25 or 26 on the VDI which is normally in the junk range. I dig the occasional
one just to check sometimes. Small iron is normally discriminated out at 10. The hammered are normally 40 +
which is a good thing for us!

Minelab multi-frequency machines normally discriminate them out, but some users running their machines "hot"
complain of finding them.

I know some people have a terrible problem identifying them with their machines.

As said, in some ways it's a good sign as it signifies that the field has been "worked" in the past.

rhyso

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 05:17:15 PM »

interesting response's thanks all. most have been found close to trees, im in a woody area so may be signs someone has been clearing out and burning old twigs and sorts, the area is quite well looked after. any suggestions for an upgrade?? gti 2500??  Undecided Undecided

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 05:22:52 PM »

GTi 2500 Huh Not unless your thinking of moving to the States any time soon Roll Eyes
rhyso

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »

not at all, ill never set a foot on US soil! there cheap to buy from there bout £600 plus customs charges, whatever they are! Any other suggestions? got up to £800 to spend spend spend!

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »

not at all, ill never set a foot on US soil! there cheap to buy from there bout £600 plus customs charges, whatever they are! Any other suggestions? got up to £800 to spend spend spend!

A Tecknetics Omega 8000 with T2 coil ............. new with a lotta change.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal