Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats been your biggest "Detecting mistake" ?  (Read 11640 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 09:20:57 PM »

Back when I joined DW some 3 years ago, I took a trip to Southerndown to do a spot of beach detecting. I drove on fumes all the way down because I really could not be bothered to stop for Diesel anyway got down to a rather cold but sunny Southerndown beach to find I'd left my cash card in the house and had no money to get fuel to get home. So I thought I'd leave it in the lap of lady luck and hopefully I'd get some coin to get enough fuel for the return journey.  And I did! £7 and some loose change later I returned to the car bloody freezing and it was going dark.

Once at the car I opened the boot with the remote took off my coat chucked it in the boot loaded the tector, spade and bag and shut the boot............... OOPS

Now the good thing with the Galaxy was you could open the boot by remote whilst the rest of the car stayed locked. On this occasion, this was not a good feature to have as my keys were very handily clipped to my jacket and my jacket very unhandily in my boot. Now I dont know if you've been to Southerndown beach in the Winter but theres nothing there and this occassion was not going to be an exception to this rule.

I could not get in my car and my phone was in my coat pocket along with the keys for the car. It was at this point in time that I looked on the top of the beach , eyeing up the rather nice sun bleached large pebbles strewn around, with the intent of smashing a front quarter light window on the car. After much umming and erring that is what I decided to do...smash!  Just as a car turned up in the carpark, a couple obviously there to enjoy the now pitch black view of the sea  Roll Eyes.

I felt obliged to explain to them that it was my car and not to think I was  breaking into it. After they managed to stop themselves laughing at my predicament the guy kindly offered to help. Not a lot he could do by now as I'd already put through a window, anyway I put my arm through the front quarter light to open the car from the inside....nothing. Now theres a valuable lesson to be learnt here for any  Ford Galaxy users amongst us. If you lock the car with the remote, you cannot open the doors with the handle from the inside  Angry.

Awww come on I only just got them to stop laughing!!!! .

By now it was really really cold and I was now in a T Shirt. The guy asked me into his car to use their phone. I felt like a real lemon, or actually more like a Gooseberry. I had to use their Phone to get hold of my wife to get hold of her father and ask him to drive down from Treorchy (An hour away) to bring the spare keys for the car.

The couple by this time had to leave and so after making sure I was ok with staying there on my own left. Oh boy was it ever cold. By the time my father in law got there (Hour and a half) I was blue, I could not feel my hands, my feet, my face or my tongue,  and I felt sick.

I will not repeat what my father in law called me but both names can be found on a carefully labelled Hermaphrodite!

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
mickycoin "mick"

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 09:58:01 PM »

i was detecting on the estuary llansteffan side early one morning along the edge of the marsh. there was this green object lying on the surface. i thought it was from a boat or somthing, but put it in my pocket and carried on detecting. after about an hour of this heavy object in my pocket, bangind against my leg. i got fedup and threw it into the marsh. some years later i saw a similar object in a detecting magazine, turned out to be a bronze age axe head i also think it was decorated as it had lots of little swirls on it. i told my story to mark l and he tells me there are only about a dozen of them that have been found in wales. i have retuned to the area on several accasions but nothing. im certain its still there as it went into the marsh a fairway. that has to be my worst i think. proves the point dont throw anything away till your certain what it is Sad Sad  mickycoin Grin Grin

you have to walk over it to find it,even then its not a dead sert
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 10:09:37 PM »

Thats the worse hedge fodder story so far Mick by a long way!

Its still there somewhere!

Some really good stories and lessons here guys,

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
mickycoin "mick"

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »

yes sick as a parrot when i found out what is was but i havent ginven up looking for it yet, would make my day to find it again and post it on here for all to see  mickycoin Grin Grin

you have to walk over it to find it,even then its not a dead sert
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 11:13:11 PM »

OK THEN NEIL IF I MUST...WHY THEY CALL ME ROMAN ( RAY ) !!

after only being into metal detecting for about 3 weeks.. woke up bright and early one morning to hit the hills of gilfach goch mountain.i only been detecting about an hour when my trusty c-scope detecter had a lovely signal..i dug the hole with much exitment as im well into this new hobby of mine.
i turned over the clodge to find a lovely green patina coin stairing at me.this was my first coin.as i wiped the coin i could see what looked to me like a spear on it..it must be a roman coin with much exitment i packed up my detecting gear and headed for my parents house which was about half hour walk across and down the mountain.it was there i phoned the museum to tell them i think ive found a roman coin whilst metal detecting on gilfach mountain.
please bring it down the fella said from the museum we are very interested to see it..as theres no evidence of the roman on gilfach mountain..lol.
straight on the blower to the wife.come and pick me up im in my fathers and ive found a roman coin on the mountain. the museum wants to see it today.she comes straight over for me which takes her about 20 mins.straight back home to take a shower and change cloths.after all i have to clean and tidy if im going to the museum.still full of exitment i heads for the train station in porth it will another 45 mins to get to cardiff on the train.i arrived at the museum.and went in to the museum to have a chat with the gentleman on the phone.there carefully wrapped up in a ring box was this great discovery which ive just un-earthed on top of my local mountain.dying to find out as the gentleman walked towards me.i carefully un-wrapped the coin to sh1ow him.he looked very exited to see this great coin.he studied the coin for about half a minute because this coin had seen better days.he then replyed its not a roman im affraid.its a george v penny..1947.big blow i must say.im absolutely exausted.all in all it took 4 hrs to get there.a day ill never forget.but wish i could.after telling the story on detectingwales i was nicknamed roman( ray )
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:31:17 PM by Roman (Ray) » Logged

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 11:24:59 PM »

Cheesy  Ray give you 10/10 on that one superb mate .Nap
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 03:34:58 PM »

My belly is aching from laughing, Ray.  Brilliant. Just brilliant!  Grin

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »

Rays story is really funny - I never tire of him telling me it.

Another one that springs to mind is I was attending a SCAN meeting and the organiser {who will remain nameless} spent 10 minutes telling us where to go and warning us about the electric fences that surrounded the farm. He repeatedly mentioned them about 3 times and then promptly went to put his wellies on and started hoping about getting his feet in. Bounced around for a bit and then lent against something to get his footing - you guessed it he leaned on the electric fence and literally jumped 6 foot into the air!

A very amusing moment for everyone - Thankfully he was okay if not a little singed!

Keep them coming guys

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »

Telling the Mrs the cost of a decent detector. Not getting home til after dark. Bringing the field home on me boots. My missus could give you plenty but my one is similar to your little tale Neil. Had a bad afternoon last Winter near home  and by the time I got back to the car it was dark. Loaded the car and decided before I left I had to do a frontal neccassry. 30 seconds later I realised as I clawed myself of the floor ahhhh there was an electric fence there. I see the funny side of it now but boy did it hurt.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Mark

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »

I also had the supreme misfortune to cross paths with an electric fence whilst out detecting a year ago, I tried to climb through it, and all I can say is ouch  Shocked, was in shock for a good while and my right shoulder and calf ached for weeks after.  Something to be avoided at all costs  Tongue

Omnia explorate; meliora retinete (BTKG)
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 10:55:59 PM »

anyone ever dug someones ashes up ? Roll Eyes

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 10:49:43 AM »

anyone ever dug someones ashes up ? Roll Eyes

My old detecting partner dug up an Iron Age burial pot with the ashes still intact.
Went to Treasure Trove and he got a £1K.

I remember attending a house once where the occupants dug some bones in the garden. Home Office
 pathologist was called out and announced they were not human.....but a dogs!  Grin

I also got called out by a couple who found a "fetus" on their front garden lawn. On close examination it
was one of those rubber alien kids toys. I got to admit, it did look real !!  Grin

outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 07:42:59 PM »

I had nearly finished handing over silver coins and other artefacts in Brecon museum to be sent down to Mark Lodwick.

When i turned to the curator (Nigel Blakemore) and showed him one more item. I said if you look at it in the light it has a curious pattern, it was about 1" long and approx 3/16ths diameter.
Nigel took it to the window and looked at it and then announced " its a TWIG ! "

I said youre joking ! He brought it over to me laughing and showed it me, it indeed was a TWIG !

What got me, was the nagging thought, what had i left in the hole Huh Grin Grin Grin
Seasider

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 08:30:14 AM »

Having had a pleasant day's detecting ,I loaded my gear in the boot and drove off the field. When I got home there was good news and bad news. I had left my detector on the grass by the car, but my friend Dave had found it and phoned home.
Unfortunately I had reversed over it and it cost me £100+ for a new T2 coil !
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 06:05:56 PM »

in my very early days i found what turned out to be a fibula brooch quite a large one as i remember . looks just like an old door knocker was the consensus of opinion of us 3 total novices and off it went to the bushes were im sure it still lies , problem is theres a lot of bushes up that way  Embarrassed Embarrassed so when i started buying the searcher and spotted another fibula well the air was a bit blue to say the least .

on another occasion had what i thought was an iron / dodgy signal , i said to my mate check this its iron , im not diggin that i said he said well im gonna dig it anyway , as  i walked on a fewyards out went a yeeeeha and up came 3/4 of a henry hammered groat , dear god no i thought not me it cant be but ........... yes it was .

years later the same mate told this same story at my wedding and duly presented me with it cut into a champagne cork for luck  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy thanks for that mate

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal