Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Probate hearing today for the ring I found last August . . .  (Read 5100 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: April 01, 2009, 06:33:11 PM »

Evening one and all.

I attended Cathays Police station for the Probate Hearing regarding the ring I found last August 2008. A very interesting day, and it was great to see the process first hand. I was also given the opportunity to question Dr Mark Redknap whilst under oath regarding the ring. He had however done a fine job describing it and certainly done his research on it - what a nice chap. He was willing to speak to me as long as I wanted regarding the ring, and thanked me for declaring it.

The results.
The ring is dated to 1500AD - 1550AD and consists of 96% silver and 4% copper, with a 22ct gold gilt applied. He can date it so accurately as a very similar comparison was found when they excavated the Mary Rose which sank in 1542, and as we all know that was Henry VIII's favourite ship. The ring from the Mary Rose was badly corroded having been on the seabed for 450 years, but very similar in design.

To date it is the only ring of this style that has been found in Wales and would have belonged to a Middle to Upper Class gentlemen, possibly a marriage ring or just an item of jewellery. The Museum of Wales have already expressed an interest in wishing to purchase it as they have nothing comparible in their collection. Mark assured me that it would be displayed and not just locked away somewhere, as it is in theory it is the only example of this style.

It was declared Treasure at the end of the hearing and is now scheduled to go to the British Museum for a valuation. It does have a hairline crack in it which may slightly effect value, but is repairable. I will keep you updated on the outcome.

For me it is a personal success story and I really glad the ring is likely to stay in Wales. It also marks the first Declarable item that myself and my detecting buddies (Mark and Jaydogg) have found in our 3 years as partners - so as you can imagine we are pretty pleased.

There were two other items declared treasure, which I will elaborate on tomorrow when I have my notes (they are in work) - if you are the finder of one of these items and reading this then it is a historic and important find, and don't worry I will keep your name and the location out of it.

Cheers all - A very happy
Neil

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 06:35:06 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 06:43:09 PM »

wow, well done Neil,  congratulations ,  bet it was an experience down there hey

simon c

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:21:31 PM »

Congratulations Neil, stunning ring that.It is an interesting process,and a great feeling to know that it will be displayed where it will be seen by millions for years to come,well done a great result. Smiley
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 07:38:40 PM »

Hey I'm sure I lost that ring about 500 years ago  Undecided ...... Nice find Neil , Any chance of them speeding up the whole process?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 07:55:44 PM »

Well done Neil mate, I bet you're chuffed to bits. Smiley Smiley

Richy.

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 08:03:47 PM »

well found neil wat great condition for 500 + years Wink

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
Nick
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 09:03:57 PM »

Fabulous condition Neil, Bet that got the old ticker going !
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:03:20 PM »

great find neil and i wish you well with the outcome.....i should imagine it was a great experience to see our legal system in progress..... Wink.....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:24:17 PM »

Tidy Butt!!!!

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:48:10 PM »

WOW  WHAT A FIND  CONGRATS NIEL  YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD MATE ..........  BEAUTIFULL RING  AND FANTASTIC  CONDITION   WELL DONE

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 11:25:09 PM »

Beautiful Ring Neil bet your proud of that little  beauty

all the best phil
yankee
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 11:21:29 AM »

Wonderful news about your find! I only wish my state worked the way your government worked! Here under the new Metal detecting law we cant even use our detectors on state owned land. If they catch us doing so they take your detector away along with your auto and fine you $10,000. Here they want the items to rot away in the ground never to be studied!. Under the law anything 50 years or older found on state property is now a relic and has to be turned in. I am 51 years old I guess that makes me a relic too!. And just today our government started taxing us 2000% on tobacco yes, that figure is correct 2000%!. So much for the promise our new president made "I wont raise any taxes I promise". A carton of cigarettes here in the U.S. as of today now cost enough to buy a diamond ring for your wife!. Sorry about the rave but I smoke!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 11:30:23 AM by yankee » Logged
Jeffc

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »

Nice to get that sorted,Neil - if it has to go then it would be great to see it on display. It turned out a bit older than we thought when we first saw it!
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »

neil..i seen a write up about the ring in tonights echo...nice pic too...but no mention of the finder/s...was that by choice?..were you involved with the report?....well done again.. Wink....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 11:41:33 PM »

Great find neil  Grin would,nt mind one myself  Shocked mole

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home