Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping records (video)  (Read 4785 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: June 01, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »

At the end of last year a posted a thread relating to the method I use fro recording my finds which utilises Google Earth as it's platform.
Since then I have had a few PM's asking what I meant by this and that, so hopefully in an effort to explain more fully I have done a video (well two) which should make the method more understandable. It also incorporates a new plugin my our very own DW member Techony, which has made part of the system so much easier.
I hope it may help some of you who may be drowning under reams of paper records. It's half an hour long I'm afraid with 20 minutes being waffle and umms.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:00:18 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »

Very good Geoff and like you said that will save a lot of us some paper , will do that from today . Thank you for the video . Nordine.
Techony

Research - Recover - Record

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:25:35 PM »

Great videos Geoff and Thanks for the plug  Cool

If anyone needs any help with the grids or placemark generator, remember I'm only a PM away.

To register (it's free!!!) and download the tools, you'll need to go to ge.techony.co.uk

Cheers,

NARC.org.uk                "You can have my Deus when you prise it from my cold dead hand"
Techony

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »

Also, thanks for pointing out the problem with the placemark running away when the view tilts over. I've fixed it up so that the little bwgger stays put now!

Thanks,

* Ben Nevis.jpg (34.84 KB, 480x341 - viewed 587 times.)

NARC.org.uk                "You can have my Deus when you prise it from my cold dead hand"
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:24:08 PM »

Nice video Geoff! I have been doing it myself for a few years and it does indeed help to build up pictures of activity. I even log Johnnies and Marks when I have been out with them to help and find the hotspots.

Great post
See you soon

Obligado
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Dodger

Badgering away

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:54:13 PM »

Good video Geoff. I have been using Google Earth for a few months to record finds but was not aware of the many things I could do with the programme. Fantastic way to record finds, no excuse now for not keeping records!  Grin
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 06:56:28 AM »

many thanks Geoff for taking the time to put the explanation together, but i also would like to place on record my thanks to the programming wizard, techony, for creating such an application.

It must have taken hundreds of hours work, so thanks very much indeed. Now all i got to do is to play with the buttons and learn how to use it!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 06:13:41 AM »

having pressed a few buttons and played with the program, i can only echo what Geoff has indicated in the video.

It is very easy to use, and a very useful mechanism for developing a picture of your sites.

Give it a go, you will be pleasantly surprised. I was.

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 08:33:52 AM »

BUMP -- for the newcomers

the program download will certainly help with recording findspots

Techony

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »

A quick update for anyone interested:

After several requests, I'm pleased to say that you no longer have to register to use the ordnance survey grids and placemark generator for Google Earth. The file can be downloaded directly from http://ge.techony.co.uk/DownLoadStub.aspx

If you find it useful and want more flexibilty, you can configure them later once you've registered (that's free too).

* ScreenShots.jpg (41 KB, 480x350 - viewed 1131 times.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal