Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Frequent metal detecting causes cancer? (STUDY) watch your family jewels!  (Read 9060 times)
yankee
« on: April 01, 2009, 01:51:32 PM »

Frequent Metal Detector Use Linked To Cancer, Study Suggests
ScienceDaily (March 2009)

Dr. Gradorski, a physician, epidemiologist and lecturer at the University of Alberta, Canada published the results of a study recently in the American Journal of Epidemiology, in which she and her colleagues found that frequent metal detector users were subject to a higher risk of benign and malignant tumors of the testicles.

Those who used a metal detector frequently, while in close proximity to the groin, where the tumors consistently developed, were found to have an increased risk of about 50% for developing a tumor of the testes (male reproductive glands that produce spermatozoa and secrete androgens), compared to those who did not use metal detectors.

The fact that the study was done on a Canadian population is significant. Says Gradorski, "Unlike people in other countries, Canadians were quick to adopt metal detector technology and have continued to be exceptionally heavy users. Therefore, the amount of exposure to radiofrequency radiation found in this study has been higher than in previous metal detector studies”.

"This unique population has given us an indication that metal detector use is associated with cancer," adds Gradorski, whose study investigated nearly 500 people who had been diagnosed with benign and malignant tumors of the testicles.
Controlled Study Reveals Link

The study's subjects were asked to detail their metal detector use patterns in terms of how frequently they used one, and the average length of usage. They were compared to a sample of about 1,300 healthy control subjects.
The study also found an increased risk of cancer for heavy users who lived in rural areas. Due to fewer other activities, metal detectors in rural areas tend to detect more and expose their testicles to a greater amount of RF/radiation.
Gradorski predicts that, over time, the greatest effects will be found in older males who are retired from steady employment thusly allowing more time for the hobby via direct exposure.

While anecdotal evidence has been substantial, the consistency of the results of this study support an association between metal detector use and these tumors. The risks have been hard to prove, mainly due to the long latency period involved in cancer development, explains Gradorski.

Keep detecting but detect smarter.

Today it is estimated that more than 12% percent of the Western world uses metal detectors. As the technology becomes cheaper and more accessible, its usage by a greater number of people, including children, is bound to increase.
Gradorski can only recommend at this time that the user limits direct exposure of the testicles from stray radiation of metal detector units. She suggests shielding the groin area with articles of clothing that resist RF/radiation penetration. The RF shielding bags that are presently available from commercial sources should work in the interim, until a longer lasting solution can be found.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 01:57:08 PM »

hmmmm its a wonder  our aquie friends don't go to town on that

yankee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 01:59:33 PM »

I wonder what the RF shielding bags  look like? I hope they are not made of metal!
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 02:11:26 PM »

I stopped worrying about cancer years ago when scientists said that eating bacon and eggs for breakfast can cause it.  Smiley

Richy.

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
DATA311(Alan)

THE BREAM MACHINE F.I.D.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 02:38:47 PM »

Does that mean we have to spend more time checking our testes every time we go out with our metal detectors ?  Shocked Grin

Nil illegitimi Carborundum
altinkum

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 02:42:10 PM »

i give mine a good scratch morning noon and night and had no prob's yet

explorers, my arse
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 02:54:01 PM »

I recon its a load of Testicles!

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 03:20:55 PM »

a load of BALL..............................................................DERDASE Grin
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 03:20:55 PM »

The amount of scrap metal some of us find means we are more likely to get lead poisoning.....
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 03:23:48 PM »

Grin Grin Grin nice one jonola , your jokes are getting better m8.you are up there with MR STEVE WATKINS ("OLD ONES ARE THE BEST" ) Grin
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 03:29:02 PM »

I wonder if I turn my preamp gain up full blast  i'll get a set of scrotal bells.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 05:08:43 PM »

yankee i think the only testicles shes seen are  in a pickle jar lol
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 05:23:27 PM »

lol Alan And Des,  hee hee,  sounds good though  lol.  perhaps some future  wife     may want to help me out there Al, lol.
Alan

bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 10:07:46 PM »

anyone realised what the date is today?......APRIL FOOL !!....... Grin....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal