Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone use a Goldbug ?  (Read 5384 times)
doddy10

« on: April 27, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »

At the fosse way rally, a small piece of ancient gold was tested against several machines. Quite a few of them would not get a signal from it on the surface.
We then buried it to about 3" and the only machine that picked it up was a Fisher f75. The etrac,Deus, X-terra 705, Explorer, whites etc did not get a diggable signal from the buried gold at all. So maybe Fisher are doing something different to everyone else ??

The goldbug has rave reviews about its ability to find even the smallest gold fragment in minalised soil, just wondering if anyone has used one in the UK for general searching.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:14:12 PM »

well so it should it was developed for the goldfields Grin The F75 and T2 have a great reputation for finding small pieces of hammered coins due in part to their high frequency.
The Goldbug doesn't do quite as well in general detecting as it was not designed to handle UK iron contaminated soil, the USA and OZ have about 200 years we have over 2000.
But be careful of party tricks, most machines can impress by showing other makes up in certain circumstances, I could take you to a site that when wet  nothing but a bounty hunter or cscope 3mx is any use on.
Oh by the way I think all gold is ancient Wink
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:21:33 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
tyna

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:16:52 PM »

Egads!!!
doddy10

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »

The gold  was about 3/4" long and fashioned in pre roman times, not a huge lump but not a tiny little piece either. I thought the Deus would of got it as I tried it in 18 and 12khz, the etrac got it on the surface, but not buried even with sensitivity turned up to 30. I have since found out channel selection does affect the machines performance, so when I get the chance to test it again I will try some other settings.

Only the F75 got a signal, despite people changing settings,coils of their machines.

It was fairly clear ground, so it makes you wonder what you walk over and miss  Grin
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:50:54 PM »

just out of interest also try turning the sensitivity down, as on the most machines this control isn't sensitivity at all but power and because of the Explorers have auto GB on paper at least the more power they output then the less sensitivity (to tiny items) they would have.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:01:15 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal