Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Village dig reveals Roman retail therapy - Caerwent  (Read 2804 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 05, 2008, 09:37:36 AM »

Jul 3 2008 by Rhodri Evans, Western Mail

ONE of Wales’ first shopping centres has been unearthed – a 1,800-year-old High Street.

A row of narrow shop buildings uncovered by archeologists shows that the Romans in Britain had their very own shopaholics. The shop buildings used by the Romans in ancient Britain were uncovered by archeologists in fields at Monmouthshire.

It is now just a country village called Caerwent but then was known as Venta Silurum – one of 15 major towns in Britain. Archaeologists believed it to be the remnants of an affluent and fashionable Roman town with wealthy villas in the suburbs.

A villa, with painted walls and mosaic floors, among the other finds, also points to the town being home to wealthy Romans in the 3rd Century when Venta Silurum boomed. Archeologist Tom Scott described the 44-acre site as “beautifully preserved”.

He said: “Discovering the shop buildings and the villa, it seems as if people lived here in some style.

“The site appealed to us as it is one of the best preserved Roman towns in the UK.

“This was a golden opportunity for us to find out more about it.”

A team of 50 archaeologists worked on the excavation at the Roman site involved Wessex Archaeology and volunteers from the local Chepstow Archaeology Society. Seven different trenches were dug up at three different locations on the site. They aimed to uncover more about parts of the town which had previously never been excavated. Long thin buildings were also found in several places – believed to be shop buildings on the high street.

A penknife’s hilt, made out of bone, depicting two gladiators fighting was unearthed in the dig.

Other artefacts uncovered included coins, glass, ceramics, human and animal bones, lead patches used for making repairs and pieces of mosaic.

Mr Scott said: “This type of town was a ‘civitas capital’ – a civilian town and centre of local Roman government – one of around 15 in the UK.

“Most of these had later towns built on top so you can’t see the town walls, but Caerwent is beautifully preserved.”

Archeologist Jacqueline McKinley said the remains proved it was “posh”.

She said: “The large villa we found suggests this was a posh part of town.

“We also found animal bones on the site which suggests that at least one of the high street shops was a butchers.

“It looks as if the animal bones belonged to joints of meat that would have been displayed in the shop window.

“It was a very successful dig and filled in some gaps in our knowledge of the ancient town.”

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 10:38:50 AM »

My wife and I spent a day walking around Caerwent last summer and it is one of the best preserved Roman Ruins we've been to this side of Italy.
Well worth a visit and why not take in Caerleon too?

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 08:59:44 AM »

Hi Neil

Hope you dont mind me asking but what line of work are you in?
you said in an earlier post you come into contact with these articales through your work

Keep the Roman storys coming Neil

regards
Phillius antoninus Joneus
 Grin
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 02:00:19 AM »

I know this is quite an old post but just thought I'd mention that the Time Team were excavating in Caerwent just before we visited there and it was shown on the telly a couple of weeks back.

I think I'm right in saying that they re-covered the area that they's excavated which is a great shame.

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal