Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: DetectingWales.com - Rally Number Three Caerleon 28/03/09. It was a Blast!  (Read 17097 times)
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 09:13:44 PM »

well, trust me to miss all the fun !!!.. Shocked..how long did it take for the police / bomb squad to arrive?....i hope all who attended enjoyed the drama and found something to make up for the lost time....lol......byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
waltonbasinman
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »

Don,t worry Ozzy, looks like you found more than a lot of us. Glad you enjoyed it and you will find the good stuff to.   Smiley Smiley
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 09:46:27 PM »

Ozzy Head - I dont get the obsession with tupperware boxes - whats that all about?

I am sure I have a few you can have if you want them!

Pics are easy to post - just click on "Additional Options . . ." when making a post. You may have to Re-size them in Paint or something like that to make them 25% or so of their original size. Just float over one of your pictures and it should show you their size.

Byron - it took the Police about 20 minutes and the Bomb Squad a good hour to arrive - interesting day for everyone and I'm sure it will make a good article in June's Treasure Hunting magazine.

A very strange day for me.

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 09:52:41 PM »

thanks for that neil...i'm sure it did'nt spoil the enjoyment of all who attended.....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Ozzy Head

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »

Ozzy Head - I dont get the obsession with tupperware boxes - whats that all about?

Neil

Its geocaching (hi-tech treasure hunting) you use a gps to find caches (tupperware/ammo cans/35mm film canisters) hidden at various locations. When you find them you sign the log book take/leave a trinket, return the cache and post your find on the web site. I found my 360th today  Grin

Metal Detectorists do it outdoors
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 11:06:50 PM »

Thanks to everyone who came to today's rally. It certainly turned into an interesting one, but not for the reasons we would have liked!

My wife Liz, who came with me this morning specially to bury the tokens for the Easter egg token hunt, could not believe that only three were found. She has been bending my ear about it all evening. She insists that she made it really easy for you to find them. They were buried flat (not on end) two inches deep.

I have to say, metal detectorists' reputation for finding buried items has hit a new low in my household and this is saying something, given my lack of success in coming home with decent finds from metal detecting outings in recent months.   Grin

I hope everyone will make a special effort to restore the pride of metal detectorists next time we hold a token hunt  Grin Grin

Thanks to Neil for helping with the organisation and Tafflaff (Rob) for finding us the land and negotiating with the farmer.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:08:45 PM by admin » Logged
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »

What was in it ozzy? , who hid it?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Ozzy Head

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 11:39:49 PM »

What was in it ozzy? , who hid it?

It was hidden on the 3rd of this month by another geocacher and I was finder number nine. In the box was a log book and pen and a few swaps coloured pencils keyrings etc. Sometimes you get geocoins or travel bugs which have to be moved from cache to cache clocking up miles and stories along the way. If you go to geocaching.com and type in your postcode  theres probably one hidden within a couple of miles of where you live.
Jo

Metal Detectorists do it outdoors
jaydogg
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 04:21:38 AM »

Sounds like slim pickings at this rally; especially as the other two were quite productive; and a bomb which actually wasn’t, bit of excitement though at least.  I hope all had a good day regardless.   Cheesy
hedgehog
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 07:19:12 AM »

Shame your wife gave you an earbending Geoff  Grin I have been to rallies in the past where there were token hunts, just a thought but if you buried them in just one field and point out the field I feel sure the results would be higher.
It was a really well organised great day out and thanks for all of the effort you and Neil have put in (and your wife  Grin).
Rob it was a memorable day, thanks for finding the land!
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 08:36:16 AM »

Nice one  :)great to see fellow detectorists enjoying themselves  Grin  unfortnately due to unforseen circumstances  Huh I could,nt attend so I decided to go to one of my new sites instead things are looking up a couple of georgian or roman have ,nt cleaned them yet also a roman minin which some  finding amongst the Iron other bits and bobs also a very large heart shaped horse brass which I gave to the farmer  at one point I thought I,d found a small coin hoard or bronze axe head at a depth of two feet at least I found a bracket off some farm machinery you never know next time  Huh it could be the big one  Grin good luck every one mole

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
16.5DD (richard)

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 10:32:27 AM »

true to form the day made headlines as it should .poor Dave  he was so close to blowing away the field with his find but was watered down by continuous investigations.
dangerdave as he may well now be known will be well remembered and what a way for the farmer to have a birthday he had everything  you could think with an ''almost explosive'' atmosphere being created by the rally audiance lol
fair do's first signals can be tricky to deal with but that may be the trickiest you ever come across for a while.

you never know what lies below......

dreaming of detecting whilst............
detecting as there nothing else i would rather dooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 12:20:42 PM »

not to many finds at the rally on Saturday but still enjoyed it ,got to correct Neil as i did say i thought it was not a bomb  Grin, but we had to report it anyway. thanks to Neil Rob Geoff again for getting the rally there.and if anyone wants to borrow headphones off me at the next rally its going to cost you £5 hire ........... only joking guys  Grin..... nice bunch of guys and galls  at the rally and great that everybody gets on ,
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »

at the rally on sat, can you spot yourself !!!!!!!!!! Grin
Landyman

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 01:10:12 PM »

Enjoyed the rally despite not finding much. Thanks to all those who organised it.
I think that the reason for not many tokens being found was because 2p coins were used. 2p coins are iron cored (try a magnet on them) and most detectors discriminating against iron will not pick them up.
But hey, who cares? It was still a good rally.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal