Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lost City of the Legion - Caerleon . . .  (Read 5649 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: March 16, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »

I was fortunate enough last night to attend a talk at the Celtic Manor (Newport) on the recent archaelogical digs that have been undertaken in Caerleon. The talk focused on the new discoveries on the site of the Roman fortress. Apart from some really interesting history of the site and some stunning Roman armour finds, the really interesting part was how big the Roman settlement was. Its far bigger than anyone initially realised (more than double), and the geophysics is showing at the moment that there is potentially the largest Roman structure in the UK located there. The downside is that in the current climate the funding may not be there to excavate these new discoveries - which is a real shame.

What also struck me was the interest in the general public. There was barely an empty seat in the aptly named Augusta Suite - with over 300 people attending.

Thanks Johnny and Mark for the invite

Cheers
Neil

* CaerleonAmphitheatre-db7375.jpg (45.58 KB, 800x550 - viewed 318 times.)

* 0314_19.jpg (65.35 KB, 450x653 - viewed 384 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:29:33 AM »

When you consider Caerleon, Caerwent, Caerphilly and Cardiff there was quite a large Roman presence in
South Wales. Adding to this that Wales has more castles than anywhere in Europe and it's puzzling that we
don't find as much as they do in England.

Largely it has to be down to our lack of ploughing.

Nice post and interesting read.

legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:55:37 AM »

talking of caerleon ,any news on the rally that was cancelled ?

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:47:02 AM »

Interesting point here, Neil.

If it's not excavated and recorded can you detect on it even thought it's known about.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:03:32 PM »

With Caerleon - all the surrounding areas around the main fort definately have exclusion zones regarding metal detecting as they are scheduled areas. I imagine anyone caught detecting in them would be severely spanked and sent to the naughty boys corner.

Wouldn't be particularly good for our hobby either, especially with the "night hawking" media frenzy of late.

Nice idea though

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 12:58:10 PM »

Neil,
 Did you know there is a 'Cearleon Farm' my side of Carmarthen. I quote from Heather James who says in her publication ROMAN WEST WALES  1982  'This is no recent name given by an enthusiastic antiquarian, for it  was the name of the farm as early as the sixteenth centuary.'
There are no apparent earth works to suggest a fort but she was hoping with more field work and aerial photography something may turn up to confirm the existence of a road to the west of Carmarthen.
Well we all know, now, that there is at least one road this side. I think there was more than one but thats only my opinion.
Interesting name for a farm in that location though, don't you think.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Bassman
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »

would have loved to have gone to this meeting but didnt know nothing about it.
so there's no funding to do a full exscacation
although im sure there's over 100 people on here who'd be willing to detect certain areas for them and find stuff and date stuff which would help them out no end.
but we all know it wont happen and going by the sound of the size of it there's stuff there which will never be found.
Perhaps a spokeperson for this site could have a go.
jaydogg

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »

Happy that you enjoyed it Neil; I thought it would be right up your alley.
I think you will all find that the immediate surrounding land is CADW'd up to the max as they own some of it and, the land they don't own they have the farmers in their pockets, so to speak. Anyone wishing to detect around Caerleon would be therefore well-advised to try the hinterland rather than the immediate area.
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »

bet that was really intresting NEIL , i would have loved to have gone to that talk to Wink glad you enjoyed it Neil bet it was really intresting. Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »

. Anyone wishing to detect around Caerleon would be therefore well-advised to try the hinterland rather than the immediate area.

We tried that on three rallies and it didn't work, any other ideas Cheesy Wink
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »

like that Chef  Grin Grin
jaydogg

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 08:51:01 PM »

Go nighthawking there??? Wink Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: