Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to find those allusive gold staters  (Read 8241 times)
avalon

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 09:15:03 PM »

I probably won't need all those finds in my afterlife Bob, although I spent most of my life digging towards hell, must mean something Grin

I think you'll have plenty offering to do your embalming !  Wink

Only after they have picked my pockets Cheesy

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 09:18:35 PM »

I probably won't need all those finds in my afterlife Bob, although I spent most of my life digging towards hell, must mean something Grin

I think you'll have plenty offering to do your embalming !  Wink

Only after they have picked my pockets Cheesy

Yes, they've diddled you in this life.............never mind the after life!   Cry

avalon

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »

Got a lot to cram in before I go, as It looks like I maybe Chairman of C.H.A.D.S next month as nobody wants the poison chalice. But I suppose I could organise a few rallies if I take over. Wink

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 09:58:27 PM »

John don't be to hasty to take internet advice on pottery shards, not even pottery experts would give you a guaranteed ID on those. Excluding Samian and Black Burnished Ware most pottery from Roman and medieval times are locally produced from local clays and so the make up of the clay  and inclusions is all important. Grey ware continues right through the medieval as do some forms of pottery using black slip.
The ribbed piece you have would point to it being of a cruder manufacture as it is not wheel thrown, but unfortunately this doesn't in itself mean age.
My advice would be to take them all to the FLO and get an opinion from them, while most FLO's are not pottery experts they will have local knowledge of the pottery in North Somerset.
jtalbot0001

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 10:35:08 PM »

Hey Geoff, Thanks for your input! To be honest, before even this discussion started, I have always had my doubts about whether this pottery was Roman or early Medieval to later. And not to get my hopes up, had made up in my mind that it was medieval. You are right in saying its best to see in hand and to take it to a FLO, just haven't got round to doing it. I must say that ribbed piece is a curious one, I have never found anything quite like that, very distinctive. But I am going to see if I can have a go on these fields once the crops are off, maybe a few metal finds will help date the fields a little better. And I shall take these in to be checked out by my FLO, when I get a chance. Thanks again!

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »

Got a lot to cram in before I go, as It looks like I maybe Chairman of C.H.A.D.S next month as nobody wants the poison chalice. But I suppose I could organise a few rallies if I take over. Wink

You'll be a great Chairperson.

I always say the hardest job in the club is finding land for rallies. Good Luck!  Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal