Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How to find those allusive gold staters  (Read 8390 times)
avalon

« on: March 13, 2011, 09:02:33 AM »

If anyone's interested in finding Dubunni gold staters, this may help point you in the right direction. It was interesting to read that during the time of the Roman conquest it is thought the Dobunni wealth stood at it’s highest level, amounting to 370,000 staters containing 875kg of gold. That's a lot possible coinage lying out in those fields, for the detectorist to find. Shocked

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/cbasw/publications/books/CBA-SW%20Publications%20-%20Land%20of%20the%20Dobunni.pdf
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:05:40 AM by avalon » Logged

legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 06:36:34 PM »

wish the silures used money ;(

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:37:26 PM »

wayno will find them Grin

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 08:45:41 PM »

cheers mate but ive had a dubunni gold stater.could you give me some advice on finding a roman coin.lol.
raymondoo..

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
tyna

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:18:40 PM »

Grin Grin
avalon

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:33:01 PM »

cheers mate but ive had a dubunni gold stater.could you give me some advice on finding a roman coin.lol.
raymondoo..

Probably any field you detect in Gloucestershire, you would have more problems not finding one Shocked

staterchaser

Always expect the unexpected!

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 08:48:33 PM »

Thanks Steve for putting the link up, a great read!

I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I'm a drunk we go to parties!
avalon

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 05:25:10 PM »

raymondoo..

I think my advice to find Roman, Ray is to find a Roman site. This was todays goodies. Most were grots, but I did winkle out one silver and some brooches.

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 06:19:12 PM »

hopefully they will be recorded either with PAS or UKDFD.

understanding our nations history and how it developed, relies on detectorists recording their finds.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
jtalbot0001

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »

Hi Avalon,

Just seen your lovely Roman finds you made today, there is quite a bit there, I would be very happy finding all that!

I just wondered what you mean by a "Roman Site". Unlike Roman Ray, I have been lucky enough to find a few Roman coins, and I mean enough to count on one hand, and I think I was and have been lucky to find them. I have never found a Roman Brooch of any sort, or anything Roman for that matter apart from a single find made a few weeks ago, which was a Roman Lock Cover. So the question really is, how do you find a "Roman Site"? Is your finds found on ploughed land right next to, or on top of, a Roman Road or Villa? And did you know that there was Roman activity before even starting to find Roman finds on that particular site, Or were you just lucky to land a really good site? I am just trying to get a better understanding of how I or even Ray can land up on a site like that.

Thanks,
Jon

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
avalon

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 07:12:08 PM »

I always record with the Corinium  museum, but not with the PAS, as I have no faith in them.

avalon

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »

Hi Avalon,

Just seen your lovely Roman finds you made today, there is quite a bit there, I would be very happy finding all that!

I just wondered what you mean by a "Roman Site". Unlike Roman Ray, I have been lucky enough to find a few Roman coins, and I mean enough to count on one hand, and I think I was and have been lucky to find them. I have never found a Roman Brooch of any sort, or anything Roman for that matter apart from a single find made a few weeks ago, which was a Roman Lock Cover. So the question really is, how do you find a "Roman Site"? Is your finds found on ploughed land right next to, or on top of, a Roman Road or Villa? And did you know that there was Roman activity before even starting to find Roman finds on that particular site, Or were you just lucky to land a really good site? I am just trying to get a better understanding of how I or even Ray can land up on a site like that.

Thanks,
Jon
In 30  years I have covered most area’s in Gloucestershire, in fact there is very little I don’t know about the County. I have detected on over 110 farms in most parishes in the County and have amassed  an enormous database of information, which I can cross reference with maps. My ordinance survey maps are completely covered with find spots all colour coded, along with the farmers name and telephone numbers, So if I drive along a road I know who lives in any particular farm I happen to pass. .Any archaeological report I find on line, which mentions a scattering of Roman pot get moved to my maps, so I can see at an instance if the area has any occupation of any type.

I have never detected on any Scheduled site, as all my detecting is done legally with the farmers permission, as most of my sites are more productive than S.A.M‘s. but  I do use Magic maps to check how close I can  legally go. Gloucestershire has hundreds of settlements, some known but many unknown. I have found over the years all the known sites have either been detected to death or have been nighthawked and there is very little left to find. The fields which often produce the most are ones, which have no known archaeology. If I scan over my maps, I look for area’s between known settlements  looking for old quarries and a water sources and footpaths , which were vital for occupation.  I also pay 2 farm contractors to  tell me where they see  pottery lying on the fields when they plough and spray. I give them £10 if they bring me back Roman pot, with the find spot, and farmers name.
 I also appear regularly in the local papers, for what I find, as I find the publicity helps and gets you more widely known and more sites.  I also give talks on  local history and detecting at villages halls in the summer, and gain more land that way, as  farmers often attend and will ask me if I would like to detect there land, which I still find amazing, as if you knock on there door they will often be downright rude to you, but if they come to one of my talks they are completely different.
I  am also seen as public enemy No. 1 with Gloucestershire archaeology, not just because of what I’ve found, but for various radio broadcasts promoting the hobby,

I will not work with PAS or UKDFD for many reasons, but I do work closely with Cirencester museum, who I find are more honest and confidential about site information.  
If the archaeologist what to call us amateurs then that’s fine by me, but I’m the one finding the artefacts at the end of the day.  If you are all prepared to do the research and  put in the amount of  time I have given to the hobby, then your finds rate will increase.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:36:53 PM by handyman [Alan} » Logged

Metalmickey

Fisher F75 User.Some Men are Wise, Some Otherwise!

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 09:34:53 PM »

Very interesting link/post Steve. Here is my 1st & only Roman Brooch, & yes it was found in Gloucester !  Wink  Grin

* Roman Brooch 1st Century.jpg (63.31 KB, 533x303 - viewed 244 times.)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:40:50 PM by Metalmickey » Logged

If you want to understand today, you have to search for yesterday !!
jtalbot0001

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 09:45:21 PM »

Hey Avalon, thanks so much for that reply, I think I have learnt a lot from that read! I try do as much filedwalking as I can to see what I can find in terms of pottery etc, but my problem is I can't quite tell what may be roman, medieval and later sometimes, well, in fact most of the time. I got no problem finding pottery, just don't know what it is. I am guessing you must know more on that subject to help you understand the archaeology of the area. I hope one day I will end up on a fairly decent active site, I just have to be patient and keep looking...

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
avalon

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 09:47:06 PM »

Very interesting link/post Steve. Here is my 1st & only Roman Brooch, & yes it was found in Gloucester !  Wink  Grin
Well it's your lucky day Metalmickey, because I will pm you the inforamtion of a Roman Villa site which still produces and the farmer lets most people detect, but you will have to wait for the Autumn as it is now planted.

Now there must be a place in heaven for me Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal