Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: learning curve  (Read 5957 times)
grump
Rally attendee

« on: June 27, 2014, 06:31:57 PM »

Hi,my name is Colin,and I recently joined D.W.Com,as I was having doubts about wether my minelab Quattro that the wife bought me on eBay was working ok.It has been many many years since I first got bitten by the detecting bug.Now retired [hence the prezzy from the wife] the bug had re-emerged. Firstly may I thank all that replied to my request for helpon the machine. Today had been planned as a day to practice with my machine and all the tips and guidelines given,but as all best plans---something cropped up and I was only able to grab a few hours free to play with my new [second hand ] toy. Staying in factory preset coin mode,off I went into our small paddock,my first signal,a high sharp bleep,reading 34 depth 7inches. --Now here is where beginers luck comes in-- a nice George V old penny 1918 I think. I continued my search,my stratergey to dig all finds to learn the readings and tones.I only found another coin a 20p piece a shoe buckle a lump off lead dross a chunge off melted aluminium,plenty of siver paper,[now this is a tricky little devil ] and some washers and as well of course. the usual junk,but at least I was begining to guess what was about to come out of the ground. I learned a couple off things today-1-I will never have enough time for m/d. 2 --I will need a decent digger tool [the ground is so dry its like concrete]. There was plenty off light left, but the midges finally spiolt it for me.Once again many thanks for the help.Grump.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »

Well done Colin and keep on in there, it may not be a straightforward machine but it's well worth the effort to learn it and it should reward you with some lovely finds  Wink
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 02:24:30 PM »

welcome aboard colin,dig everything until u get the hang of your machine,you will soon learn the good sounds and the bad ones

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 05:57:54 PM »

Good advice here Colin keep at I,t look forward to your finds mate. Wink
Bill from Lachine

carpe diem = seize the day.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »

It should take about 100 hours or so before you get comfortable with the machine.

I'm on my 6th year with my current machine and probably about 2000 to 3000 hours and I'm still finding keepers from picked over sites.

Regards + HH

Bill

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal