Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Garrett probe and hot weather  (Read 6994 times)
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« on: July 25, 2012, 09:22:31 PM »

Has anybody else been experiencing the probe acting erratically during the hot weather? I was out today and the probe was useless, sounding off every where but on the target . Even when held to air 2 foot off the ground. (no nearby elecrical interference) I did notice that when it was acting up, the range was reduced by approx a third (using my watch as a target). Changing the battery made no difference and as soon as the the weather cooled down it started behaving as normal,
Very strange and annoying. 
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:34:34 PM »

Garrett gohstpointer  Roll Eyes
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 06:51:59 AM »

Im gettin grief off mine aswell

Radnor Bandit (Ian)

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 07:29:42 AM »

Im gettin grief off mine aswell

Grief thats putting it mildly Al . The way I was feeling yesterday, If Mr Garratt had come on the field and asked me what I thought of his product..I would have told him to bend over and take a deep breath
                                                Angry Angry Angry
The Ferret

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »

my Probe shrinks in the cold Shocked

Howie114

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:35:04 AM »

Like your turn of phrase Ian! Howard
Jeffc

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »

Just to confuse things I was out Wednesday morning (gave up due to the heat around one) and my probe was working perfectly as normal!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »

All coils will expand in the heat, that is why Detech originally only made the ultimate in white as to try and cut down on the effect. Nautilus machines have the ability to tune the coils so the the receive and transmit coils are kept balanced as they expend as it gets hotter.
Now I know we pay £80+ for probes and probably think they should react better but in reality, these things cost less than £5 to make and so are not precision instruments. My only suggestion would be to keep it covered somehow. Undecided
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 08:19:09 PM »

All coils will expand in the heat, that is why Detech originally only made the ultimate in white as to try and cut down on the effect. Nautilus machines have the ability to tune the coils so the the receive and transmit coils are kept balanced as they expend as it gets hotter.
Now I know we pay £80+ for probes and probably think they should react better but in reality, these things cost less than £5 to make and so are not precision instruments. My only suggestion would be to keep it covered somehow. Undecided

Out of interest how do the aussies and other hot country dwellers overcome this effect Geoff, and would you recommend using an explorer / etrac in auto mode rather than manual in these conditions,?
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 08:31:56 PM »

that is a mystery and I have to say that I haven't actually heard of this happening to a pro-pointer but I'm not surprised it's happening.
But it's quite possible there are less of them detecting in the summer as there are here. Up until about three years ago, my detector went in to the cupboard in April and didn't come out again until the harvest in August.

No I would never recommend auto over manual, even when the Etrac says it's running, lets say 25 sens in auto it still isn't going as deep as the same 25 in manual. Wink
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:34:30 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »

It's possible the Garrett probe is playing up as the battery has swollen with the heat.

Best advice is to use only top quality Alkaline PP9 type.

Try a slight turn of the battery top to relieve pressure.

peanut

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 10:05:19 PM »

I presume that the Pro Pointer  uses some smd componants which would be more suseptible to heat than discrete components but they should be more than capable of withstanding the sort of temperatures we have in out climate except if the probe was left out in direct sunlight perhaps.

Most electronic items come with a warning not to leave them in direct sunlight so maybe they are getting too hot if they are out in the sun all the time. After all the probe has no ventilation provision to disperse internal heat.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 10:40:40 PM »

No it won't have anything to do with components it's purely the coil windings expanding
peanut

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 05:07:29 PM »

Your absolute conviction about everything is awesome Geoff  Wink

Garrett manufacture these detectors to function in extreme climates all over the world so I'd be surprised if the Pro Pointers did not have auto stabilisation circuitry for the coils to cope with variable temperatures.

That said ...I would be very surprised if any electronic item worked 100% if left out for a few hours in our current heatwave.

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »

LOL. It's because I've looked inside and know what's there and that's not a lot. If you go study coil technology you'll find this has always been a problem, no matter how much resin you bury them in.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal