Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: T2 head to head against it's rivals  (Read 19605 times)
avalon

« on: July 09, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »

Today at a weekend wanderers dig, I tried another test on a fragment of  24 ct gold weighing 2.2 grams. The first test conducted was in air and the T2 Ltd won hands down, so we thought a fairer test would be to bury the gold at 7 inches in the soil. The test was re-run and again  the T 2 gave a signal where others had failed. The setting I had used was the C L mode which I have found goes to incredible depth.  This mode need to be used very slowly otherwise you will miss objects, and it is more user friendly if you flick into this mode to check on a weak signal than detect all day in it.
The machines that were tested today were owned by complete strangers  who felt confident in there machines, and I had no control on what settings were used.  Not everyone wanted to appear on video so they have been edited out, mainly because there machines failed to give a signal.
20 machines were tested from the Deus, Goldmax power,  DFX,  Minelab Explorer II,  Gold bug,  Fisher f75,and the Etrac.
The Etrac’s failed to get a signal at all, the Deus’s were very iffy, Minelab Explorers no chance at all, the Gold bug  made it at 2 inches above the ground. The F75 Ltd we were a little concerned about as  it was meant to be more sensitive than the T2 but lost the signal at 2 inches above the ground even though we used the CL setting.
I have conducted this test at many rallies and have the same results each time which either means everyone has there machines set up wrongly or the T2 is doing something  which the others are not.
I would be happy to try the test out  against anyone at the next DW rally which I attend.

p/s I do not sell machines or have any dealings with any manufacturer, I have only videoed  an account of what I have found on the day, and I would like to say  I also own a Etrac and DFX and would be more than happy if they  preformed the same as the T2, but facts speak for themselves.  If I were detecting on a scattered hoard site, I know what machine I would be using.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WICBWOGhW1o (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:04:07 PM »

I'll look forward to it Steve, I'll bring the Nautilus Wink I'de also be interested to see if the findings are the same with another T2 as I've noticed down the years that there can even be great differences between the same model.
But when all is said and done we are talking about a tiny piece of metal and I'm not going to loose too much sleep over missing that. On a scattered hoard site I would personally be using a Pi machine anyway for a final search.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:08:49 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
doddy10

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »

Interesting enough we did have another older version of a T2 being tested and it failed to find it
diggerdave1

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 11:08:50 PM »

Hello..Avalon..
interesting post, on the gold test...
i coulndnt make chepstow dig..
Tho my cscope 3mx ..at the  glastonbury rally gave a poss signal to your gold test! if u remember? Grin
it wasnt buried in ground that time i know,
But
ill look forward to your buried gold test at a next Dw rally with the 3mx!! .. No problem!! Cheesy.....
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:04:04 AM »

Interesting post Steve I am guessing the Cl mode has to be used very slowly,and in an iron infested field the recovery rate would be next to useless ?

Did you have the sensitivity maxed out

Did your T2 get the target in your usell search mode?

I have not attended a DW rally as of yet but it would be very interesting to try my Deus and settings with both the small coil and the larger 13x11 coil

If the small coil wont get it with my settings im sure the large coil will

Would also be useful to try both 18KHZ and 12 Khz

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
avalon

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:19:14 AM »

Yep I remember you going over with your CScope 3MX and it gave a cracking signal, I told my mates at the time that I was pretty impressed with your machine, so we’ll try the buried test next time. The sensitivity I set the T2 on  when testing was between 80-90 and disc 10. It did manage to get a weak signal in several other settings, but the killer feature was the CL mode.
I have tried detecting  in this mode and it would be useless on a junk infested field as too much information would flood in , but in certain situations where you need to go very deep  it would come into it’s own.
At yesterdays Weekend Wanderers bash the fields were very quite and a lot of people left early. It gave me the opportunity to try this setting out in the field. As I said before it requires a slow sweep speed, because  it will sound off on the smallest item, but if you were looking for a scattered hoard this machine would be my first choice.
I do in fact have a hoard site which I have removed every piece of detectable gold from using the DFX on 15Khz in all metal, so it will be interesting with what I know from this machine, to see whether I  have a second hoard this year.
At yesterdays rally we tested 6 Deus's with various coils large and small, and as you see on the video the chap said he wouldn't have dug it, as it came up as iron.

avalon

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 06:51:15 AM »

As Geoff said we are only talking about a small piece of gold, but when I go out detecting I would like to think that if there was any there in the ground, then  I would at least have a signal from it. Gold isn’t the easiest material to detect, because of it low conductivity, but I have also tried the T2 on silver Roman and hammered which is giving the same results on depth.

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 07:03:32 AM »

I used to use the T2 and have to admit on small sections it was brilliant. I did go out with a friend a few years ago who's GMP was in for repair and he was using a backup 3MX and I had the Etrac, well how embarrassing was that Cheesy
The site was heavily contaminated with iron and the etrac was nulling all over the place, by the end of the day, yes I had dug the deeper signals but he had covered 3 times as much land and recovered twice the amount of finds. That one is a wolf in sheep's clothing.
romano-brit

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 07:08:35 AM »

i always tought that air tests dont mean anything, because tectors dont do well with all the air, plus you dont have the compacted ground and everything else to compare it with

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 07:39:20 AM »

That one wasn't an air test though RB, it's only the minelabs that can't do air tests as they auto GB and without the surrounding ground they fail to even get started as metal detectors. Thinking more on the subject I'm beginning to wonder if it's a more a blind spot than a lack of sensitivity similar to this on the Etrac.
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uaDvZJpb5MU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src=
jethro
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »

Hi Steve i have to agree the CL mod is brill . I recently had an Edward 3rd groat at 16 inches right in the plough pack . Don't be afraid to turn the power down i found this with the sense only on 50 using 4h on tones. It is a real advantage for getting those small deep coins. You can get higher sense using 2 tones but u have to struggle to hear the quiet signells . Also try using 0 disc 5 inches on a shot gun pellet . And it can be used on contaminated ground just turn the sense down you,ll still be blown away by the depth.
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 08:39:51 AM »

At yesterdays rally we tested 6 Deus's with various coils large and small, and as you see on the video the chap said he wouldn't have dug it, as it came up as iron

Yes seen the video although could not here the audio as he had it turned off as he was using headphones.

A lot of Deus owners are happy just use the standard programmes

A T2 running at 13KHZ a goldbug running at 18KHZ and a C-Scope running at 18 KHZ and a Deus could not get it  Huh

Using a very low discrimination setting and a low recovery speed with a manual ground balance, the Deus would get it no problems   Grin

I recently had an Edward 3rd groat at 16 inches thats impressive Jethro i do not think an E-trac would get it at that depth

I would like to do a test on a hammered penny buried at 8 inches and see how many machines would get it,I know the Deus can
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:43:15 AM by relichunting » Logged

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Rob Two Spades

XP Deus

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »

I think we can get carried away comparing depth and detectors without considering the soil.
I've owned a GM3+, Etrac and T2ltd over the last year and all fof them ound very deep hammies. I found each works better in its favoured conditions.

I always take a 'small hammie in a bag' to test my ground before starting. Earlier in the year I buried a hammie at 9" in clean pasture (gb=49) and the Etrac missed it totally, T2 loud and clear on the boostPower, D6/S75 setting. Yesterday I was in a undetected very stoney field, old ridge 'n furrow. (gb=54)Buried same hammie in 5". Nothing on the T2ltd. Tried 3", only grunts, Tried at 3" in open hole, one way grunts. Changed batteries, still no good. Very confusing.

Just goes to show that it depends on soil moisture, iron halo effects, frequency of hot rocks, masking by big rocks, background EMI as well as detector settings. There was a powerline in the next field and the field was full of coke. So lost tons of depth!

Try the same test with the gold/silver under a paving slab! I did, The GM3+ blast through concrete, the my T2Ltd struggles. So stoney fields, perhaps other detectors may be better.

2017:
9 Hammereds - best: Edward IV Groat
46 Roman Bronze
1 Roman Denarius
Late Saxon strap end
2 Roman rings
2 Roman brooches
1 Roman Seal box
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 09:10:59 AM »

A nice informed post Rob, well done. Wink
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 11:08:40 AM »

At yesterdays rally we tested 6 Deus's with various coils large and small, and as you see on the video the chap said he wouldn't have dug it, as it came up as iron

Yes seen the video although could not here the audio as he had it turned off as he was using headphones.

A lot of Deus owners are happy just use the standard programmes

A T2 running at 13KHZ a goldbug running at 18KHZ and a C-Scope running at 18 KHZ and a Deus could not get it  Huh

Using a very low discrimination setting and a low recovery speed with a manual ground balance, the Deus would get it no problems   Grin

I recently had an Edward 3rd groat at 16 inches thats impressive Jethro i do not think an E-trac would get it at that depth

I would like to do a test on a hammered penny buried at 8 inches and see how many machines would get it,I know the Deus can

I did this air test with the settings my Deus was on at the time, samll coil and 12khz and it got it audio wise but was a very low VDI reading normally in the range of 'iron/foil'. It was slightly better in 18khz.

The Deus could be optimised with the large coil, TX at 3, recovery at 1, sens at 95. Audio at 5. Disc at 5.

The other users seem to be optimising their machines so I don't see a problem doing the same.

I've suspect that the Deus will perform as good as the others, may be better, with a very loud audio. Howvever, it's how you use it in the field. With such a low VDI reading  (jumping between 10 and 35) I have to be honest
and say I may not have dug it.

As Geoff (Chef) says it's a really small piece of gold so I don't worry too much. Three weeks ago I had a cut half WELL over 6" so I know the machine is capable.

As others are saying on here, it's more important to be comfortable with your machine in terms of it's weight and performance. There's a few selling machines because of both these issues!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:10:33 AM by rjm » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal