Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Before and After  (Read 7342 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: April 25, 2015, 07:06:06 AM »

Morning folks, well here it is the before and after restoration, can I just thank Alan (cariffian) as it was him who gave me the details of a professional restorer of rings and artifacts, his name is Barry Sherlock who lives in Torquay, he carries out major work for museums, collectors, dealers and of course the good old detectorists. I must say he is a very knowledgeable and friendly guy and some of the photos I saw of his jobs were amazing to say the least, I’m talking Saxon and medieval coins brought to him in several pieces and by the time he had finished restoring them you could not see that they were ever damaged, so if anyone has coins or artifacts that would like to see back to their original condition here’s the man to talk to. Any way back to my ring it was disclaimed by the treasure act and returned so I decided I would like to see it restored to its former glory and although it was a lovely historic piece of history, it was not great to look at?? And its value was not much, I know money reared its ugly head but I now have to get it valued as I have to make it fair with the landowner who has no interest in it so I may end up with it. I’m sure some people would say it should have been left as it was found but let’s face it the museum never found it that interesting , so for me it was a no brainer. Barry and I decided it was probably not a mourning ring but a dress ring, I think the museum found evidence of black enamel under the open work hence thinking it was a mourning ring and dated it to earlier than 1714, but it had no inscription, any way whatever we believe it dates to 1650-1675 approx. we decided to put an amethyst as the stone as semi-precious stones were popular in this period and although it could have had a precious stone i.e. a sapphire it was to expensive and would need a 8ct stone in weight due to deep setting. I believe it has been very sympathetically restored using traditional methods and Barry has even given it slight imperfections in his work which would be more in keeping of a ring dug up in a muddy field from a scruffy detectorist  we did not want a pristine ring that looked like it was made yesterday.  Thanks for looking. Wink Wink

* 024.JPG (72.92 KB, 448x336 - viewed 633 times.)

* Med Ring 038.JPG (30.66 KB, 448x336 - viewed 656 times.)

* Med Ring 023.JPG (34.26 KB, 448x336 - viewed 655 times.)

* Med Ring 032.JPG (33.14 KB, 448x336 - viewed 667 times.)
troutmasterfunk

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:14:52 AM »

Wow... Lovely find... Wink
Thanks for sharing Paul... Grin
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »

great result celtic and a fantastic finish on the ring.

BugbrookeBen

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 08:42:34 AM »

Well done on the rings Smiley
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

That really is an amazing transformation.  He certainly knows his stuff. Is it a mans or a ladies ring Paul, I don't remember you saying.
I ask because I assume a certain Lady of the House might have an eye for it now it's whole again. I saw someone else before and after picies of an artefact that had been restored. That too was almost unbelievable. So was the price it was sold for.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 09:24:23 AM »

Thanks guys and , I thought it was a lady's ring Val but Barry said it could ba a mans? They were smaller than us in the medieval period as I'm sure you know Val, and as for the Mrs,the ring is an approximate L/M size and guess what it fits the wife Cry some of my nicest gold jewellery I found in Spain in the water all with diamonds in and one in particular nearly 2 ct in weight has fitted her and is now in her collection so it's time I put my foot down Huh I think  Wink Wink Wink The thing now is as I said finding a valuation ?
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »

That is a fantastic job Paul. I did wonder if you went ahead with the restoration. I am glad that you are so pleased with the finish. Barry sure does know his stuff, and will always talk through a potential job first without any obligations. Yes any high street jeweller can restore jewellery but will the quality be the same as Barry's work? How many are there out there that have actual experience of working on such ancient artefacts? The difference is, I believe Barry spent 5 years training in the techniques of the ancient craftsmen. If an item is not restored using the same techniques it will be noticeable to any professional and impact on the item's value.

I appreciate the argument for leaving things as they were found. However, I am in the camp that believes they should if possible be restored as closely as possible to their former glory. That ring was once an item of beauty and so why shouldn't it be once more. Left as it was it wouldn't have got a second glance but now it's got the WOW factor. Well done Paul for making the right decision. 

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 11:45:40 AM »

nicely done paul
 Wink
remeber holding that beauty,nice

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »

A wonderful restoration job Paul and full marks to the craftsman who did it I guess it shows the difference between a jeweller and a true goldsmith. Not sure about them having smaller hands as manual work and lots of sword wielding  Grin meant they were probably larger but when I found my first posey ring everyone agreed it was probably for a child however the FLO produced a load of photographs of medieval portraits showing rings being worn on higher knuckles Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 12:52:11 PM »

Perhaps more easily lost Geoff?

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 02:32:30 PM »

A wonderful restoration job Paul and full marks to the craftsman who did it I guess it shows the difference between a jeweller and a true goldsmith. Not sure about them having smaller hands as manual work and lots of sword wielding  Grin meant they were probably larger but when I found my first posey ring everyone agreed it was probably for a child however the FLO produced a load of photographs of medieval portraits showing rings being worn on higher knuckles Wink
Thanks Geoff and a valid point re manual work etc, my medieval field is ploughed and awaiting seeding as soon as it is worked down then I will be in there and try and sniff out a gold hammered or a posie not worried which Roll Eyes Wink Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 02:33:43 PM »

That is a fantastic job Paul. I did wonder if you went ahead with the restoration. I am glad that you are so pleased with the finish. Barry sure does know his stuff, and will always talk through a potential job first without any obligations. Yes any high street jeweller can restore jewellery but will the quality be the same as Barry's work? How many are there out there that have actual experience of working on such ancient artefacts? The difference is, I believe Barry spent 5 years training in the techniques of the ancient craftsmen. If an item is not restored using the same techniques it will be noticeable to any professional and impact on the item's value.

I appreciate the argument for leaving things as they were found. However, I am in the camp that believes they should if possible be restored as closely as possible to their former glory. That ring was once an item of beauty and so why shouldn't it be once more. Left as it was it wouldn't have got a second glance but now it's got the WOW factor. Well done Paul for making the right decision. 
Thanks Alan totally agree with you. Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 02:34:32 PM »

nicely done paul
 Wink
remeber holding that beauty,nice

Cheers Mike Wink
herbie

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »

Wow great job Paul looks amazing  Shocked Shocked

Same sh*t different hole!!
Chainsaw Bampy

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 05:34:46 PM »

the guy that restored that ring must be a true magician,  its hard to believe its the same ring,  fantastic job,don,t loose his number paul because i bet a lot of people will be asking him to restore things.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal