Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Possibly my first beach "pewter" ?  (Read 7470 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: December 09, 2015, 08:18:52 PM »

Last time out at Talacre using the Detech 13" Ultimate coil on the Safari I recovered a short handled spoon from an area of black sand beneath the surface. With the Safari set on all metals and cross saved to coin and jewellery, it gave an high tone signal and indicated 37. At the time of recovery I just threw the spoon in my scrap bag and had a closer look at it before contemplating chucking iit n the scrap bucket at home this week.

Totally unresponsive to the old spit and foil trick, it was also unresponsive to a magnet. The thick smelly material from the black sand has almost completely coated the spoon in a thin black layer. Where the coating has flaked away the spoon looks as though it may be made of lead and weighs 74.6 grams. I am beginning to suspect that the spoon may be made of pewter. It looks as though it may have deliberately been made with a short handle; rather than having had the handle broken.

Is there any way of assessing the age of the spoon? There are no visible markings on the spoon and if it is made from pewter with a high lead content I assume that it may be an earlier piece of pewter cutlery.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Smiley

* Spoon.jpg (209.55 KB, 409x585 - viewed 522 times.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:24:14 PM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 10:19:20 PM »

Hi Chris, nice find, especially from the beach.  I'd say it's a tea caddy spoon. Not too sure of exact age but back to the time when tea was imported in nice little boxes and only the well off drank it.

Did I hear you say that was last week  Grin

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 10:28:10 PM »

Hi Val,
           yes it has been shaped as though it may have been shaped for scooping measures of something; perhaps tea. Possibly being high in lead content I would assume that it would not have been good for eating with.

When I say last week; it was Sunday morning, when we got the first break in the weather at Talacre.  Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 10:38:11 PM »

ps

I'm betting that Geoff can tell us the date of production, the brand of tea it was used to measure, and the name of the chimp that used it!  Grin

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 11:23:09 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin

wittsy1

Where am I?

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 06:40:25 AM »

Nice interesting little spoon, I think I would agree with Lady Val on th ID.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »

Me to Wittsey1, I go with Lady VAL on that Tea,Caddy spoon,or......
A sorcerer's wicked potions spoon,ear of bat,wort of toad,entrails of a troubled horse,etc,etc,etc....LOL!!! Na!!probably a tea Caddy spoon,nice find though !!!👍
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:07:33 PM by dingdong » Logged
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »

Any ideas on a possible date chaps? pre 1800's? Or there abouts?

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »

It's possible it's not a tea caddy spoon Chris.  I've looked at numerous pewter spoons and it occurred to me that if the sides were squeezed in it would look like a caddy spoon but maybe not.
How is the handle joined to the bowl, can you see any marks on it.  Similar pewter spoons range in date from the 1600's to Victorian.

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 10:25:13 PM »

Hi Val,
            it strikes me as being rather heavy for a tea caddy spoon and yes it looks as though the sides have been squashed in slightly, but I cant tell if that has been done accidentally or deliberatly. As of yet, I can't see any markings on it and can't tell if the bowl is is an integral part of the moulding or if it has been sweated on to the handle.

Just where the handle joins the bowl, at the back, there is a slightly raised oblong section that I thought was going to have some markings on it. I will try and see if I can get a good close up of that section.

raistlain

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 10:42:51 PM »

im probably a million miles out but i remember watching a documentary a few years ago about an unidentified 17 century ship wreck and amongst other stuff the divers brought up were spoons looking a lot like that lots of them.... Smiley
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 11:03:38 PM »

That's more than likely raistlain. Ther'es hundreds of ship  wrecks around our coast line.  Some years ago 2 gold coins were found  wedged into the rocks the other side of the Severn, can't remember exactly where.  It was said they'd come from a wreck.
It's possible that Chris's spoon got washed up.

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 11:27:27 PM »

I have tracked down almost a hundre wrecks in Liverpool bay and the Dee Estuary and many that foundered on the West Hoyl Bank, just off Talacre. I also frequently find copper maritime nails on the sands there. I am beginning to believe that the spoon may have a maritime origine and may have some conection with some of my other finds on the beach.

Based on the map references for the spoon, some old silver jewellery, and a George III halfpenny; I think that the jigsaw that is Talacre is starting to come together. When you considder that there are almost two square miles of beach between high and low water lines, the Point of Ayr and Presthaven Sands; it has taken almost five years to start building up a decent picture of what may lie beneath the sands.

I could probably do with a beach buddy to help me out.  Roll Eyes

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 06:14:29 AM »

I think you could do with a JCB and maybe a Dredger   Grin

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 09:37:16 AM »

Aaaah; if only! Sadly, as you already know, my Crown Estate permit will not allow the use of digging machinery and anything below the low water line come under the Receiver of Wreck, as does flotsam and jetsam.

A bit of automation would possibly turn up more of this stuff.................

* Today's ring.jpg (99.1 KB, 379x507 - viewed 386 times.)

* Talacre finds reportage.jpg (133.26 KB, 397x561 - viewed 425 times.)

* Arabic locket.jpg (9.2 KB, 219x147 - viewed 374 times.)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal