Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Just signed up  (Read 7078 times)
baycityroller
Rally attendee

« on: March 01, 2013, 09:42:42 PM »

Hi everyone, just signed up after coming across the NWDD site. Although my main madness is birding (I'm now a retired twitcher after giving up charging round the UK searching out rare birds) I've always fancied looking for hidden treasure, especially as I'm a big reader about anything Roman and would love to find something from that period. Problem is I don't have a md but would love to come along to a meet in North Wales and get a feel for the thing so if you've got anything coming up and you wouldn't a mind a civvy  tagging along to see some of you guys in action I'd be interested in joining in. I see you were at Talacre recently, an area I know well from my birding there and along to Point of Ayr but never thought of the place as somewhere to go digging!
Cheers to all
Julian
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »

welcome aboard bcr ...

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:09:41 PM »

Hi everyone, just signed up after coming across the NWDD site. Although my main madness is birding (I'm now a retired twitcher after giving up charging round the UK searching out rare birds) I've always fancied looking for hidden treasure, especially as I'm a big reader about anything Roman and would love to find something from that period. Problem is I don't have a md but would love to come along to a meet in North Wales and get a feel for the thing so if you've got anything coming up and you wouldn't a mind a civvy  tagging along to see some of you guys in action I'd be interested in joining in. I see you were at Talacre recently, an area I know well from my birding there and along to Point of Ayr but never thought of the place as somewhere to go digging!
Cheers to all
Julian

Hello there mate. Welcome to the DW site and the NWDD section. NWDD is an eclectic mix of wierdos and misfits but generally a happy bunch.  Cheesy Keep an eye on the forum for goings on and developments. We're going to have a club meeting soon so the best bet is probably to come along to that initially. We'll post details on this forum and you're welcome to come along and meet the crowd.

XP Deus user
baycityroller
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »

Cheers, I'll keep an eye out for any future meetings.
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »

Welcome, you will get a twitch when you find some Gold  Wink

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
Christoph1945
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 06:23:57 PM »

Hi Julian,
                  welcome to the Dirt diggers. It sounds like a group of welsh News Paper reporters, but we are far from that. I, along with Richie, have been working the beach at Talacre for some time now.

Chris Smiley
baycityroller
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:13:48 PM »

Bit ironic that Chris, I worked for 40 years as a newspaper reporter/sub-editor!
Julian
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »

gold on them north wales beaches oooh i likey  Shocked

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Christoph1945
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »

gold on them north wales beaches oooh i likey  Shocked

Oops; open mouth and put foot in it!

Well Julian, if you detect on Talacre sands you will find plenty of scrap iron and WWII left overs; not to mention broken glass and hypodermic needles. Go easy with the spade when you start to dig; the beach was mined during WWII and the Ministry of Defence tell me that they are unable to confirm that all mines were removed. They also said that they could not confirm that any were left in situe.  Huh

The dunes are out of bounds but that still leaves plenty of beach to go at. During the last year or so, I have removed some 40kgs of .30 and .303 bullets from the area; along with some 50cal rounds, three hypodermic needles, and many kgs of broken glass.

It's a great place to be just after dawn when there is only you, your detector, and the waking seabirds in the area.

Chris   Smiley
Richie sixpence

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »

Talacre beach well described Chris  Wink  Smiley

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
Christoph1945
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »

Hi Richie,
                I have been missing our detecting sessions at the beach and am looking forward to the start of the caravan season on the 6th of March. Just waiting to see if my numbers come up on the lottery and then I am goint to get the EuroAce ready for the club dig tomorrow. Will meet you at the same location and time; don't oversleep tomorrow. We will also pick Chris upon the way past.

Maybe Julian would like to join us, at Talacre, one Sunday; I'm sure he would find the beach interesting.

Chris
Richie sixpence

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »

Hi Chris
That all sounds great with me see you tomorrow and I shall not be late lol  Wink  Smiley. And yes I'm happy for Julian to join us at Talacre if he wishes too   Smiley
                                                                           Richie  Smiley

Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
Member of, NCMD
baycityroller
Rally attendee

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 09:52:49 PM »

Thanks for the offer guys and I'll get down one Sunday, looking after my grandson tomoz so can't make it then. Is it just ammo you look for at Talacre then?
Richie sixpence

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 10:06:20 PM »

Hi Julian
We wont be at Talacre tomorrow unfortunately. There are other things at Talacre i.e coins etc but bullets are aplenty lol  Wink
                                                   Richie  Wink   

Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
Member of, NCMD
Christoph1945
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 05:46:48 AM »

Good morning Julian.,
                                      most detectorists avoid the sands at Talacre because of the scrap and WWII schrapnel. Bullets abound in their thousands and screws / nails litter the sands. You can pick up the odd decimal coin after a Bank Holiday but you can also get plenty of fresh air in your lungs and relax with the sounds of the sea in your ears.

When I first started walking the sands at Talacre, I was amazed by the number of dead birds and seals that I came across. I came upon three dead seals in my first season down there and I no longer count the dead birds that I see. Litter can also be something of a problem; the tourists put there trash in the bins and the birds pull it all out again. The hypodermics that I spoke of earlier, tend to turn up in the flotsam on the high tide lines and are not always easy to see.

Chris  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal