Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bling, bling!  (Read 2998 times)
avalon

« on: January 26, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »

Don’t view this file if you have suicidal tendancies. It makes me laugh when I read  topics on which machine finds the most gold. Minelab can plug there GPX 5000 till the cows come home, and you may  require a small morgage to purchase it. It’s more to do with knowing your machine than chopping and changing every 5 minutes. All these gold items have been found with A 10 year old White’s DFX.  I also have the Etrac and the T2 in my arsenal, but the DFX still finds me the most gold when set up correctly. In fact the smallest piece weighed in at 0.3 grammes.

Poulton hoard

Edward IV Quarter Ryal

Corio stater

Corio quarter stater

Corio quarter stater

avalon

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:49:55 PM »

And more...
atrebates gold stater

Eldersfield brooch

George I guinea

Gold and silver watch fob

avalon

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:55:49 PM »

oh and a bit more..

Antonia aureus

Gold ring

gold ring

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:01:14 PM »

No Steve it's all about walking over it.
avalon

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 10:16:52 PM »

No Steve it's all about walking over it.
The Swindon detecting club spent 3 weeks detecting my hoard site, they missed a 100 m square area. They abandoned the site because they thought there was nothing there Roll Eyes

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:44:18 PM »

I agree with you steve.

It's a lot to do with the machine, and how it's used, as you showed me with that 0.3 gram pure gold piece when
we did the test. I'm glad mine got it, good audio but the numbers were bouncy.

Yes, the coin or artefact has to be there but what's the point of it being there if the machine misses it? As
so many machines/detectorists do, as you've just stated.

Also, some sites I've been to have been done to death but stuff turns up (without ploughing) as detetcorists
have 'missed' it.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:45:57 PM by rjm » Logged

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 10:56:41 PM »

[/quote] The Swindon detecting club spent 3 weeks detecting my hoard site, they missed a 100 m square area. They abandoned the site because they thought there was nothing there Roll Eyes
[/quote]
That proves my point Steve, unless you grid with line and pins you will miss individual finds very easily. Yes I have to agree that having confidence in your machine and knowing what it's telling you is all important, but you still have to pass that little piece of plastic over the target.
avalon

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 11:21:21 PM »

You shouldn’t be drawn in by all the hype of new machines, it’s more to do with the operator and the land he detects, than a singing all dancing top of the range job. If there is nothing on the land in the first place, it does’nt matter how good the machine is, it can’t produce something out of nothing.
I tested various machine out on the weekend with a small fragment of gold,as Bob states. The MXT failed to produce  a signal, along with 2 other DFX'S, and a Minelab Quattro.  If machines arn't set up correctly you will miss so many signals.

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 11:35:52 PM »

Steve I've been detecting 33 years and I know that Today's machines are not that much better than those that I was using in 1980.
Yes the machine operator is important but there are no "great detectorists" only normal ones and bad ones. I would be only to happy to follow you across land with any of the popular machines and I would find something you had missed, in the same way that if you followed me you would find something.
Also one machine doesn't find everything, you have said that the DFX is the best machine you have used for finding small pieces of gold, does that make the DFX a great machine...No, it's 15KHz that's why it finds small gold so easily.
Horses for courses and if you happen to be on the wrong horse for that particular land or find then forget it, Someone else on the right horse will come along and find it.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 11:38:44 PM »

Do you fancy doing B/B for detectorists. Think there'd be a few from down this end (West Wales) might be interested.
Glad you said if it's not there you wont find it, I was going to mention that point myself but thought better of it.
I have every confidence in my M6 (I've hit some very small targets with it) but we are not so well blessed as Gloucester with goodies.
We do get a good selection of fishing leads though. Huh Roll Eyes

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 07:44:12 AM »

Fantastic,  great macro too,  i want one like that lol

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 09:50:56 PM »

I'm glad Steve showed us what he's found as it shows it's out there to be found.

I could look at the pics every day and not get bored. There's just something about good quality gold.

I remember a club member finding a gold iron age neckband on club land that'd been done many times
and that was with a DFX machine!  And I went and bought a Deus  Huh  Roll Eyes

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 10:30:33 PM »

There again I used a DFX for 18 months (in the correct settings) and learnt every whimper that machine could make.

Gold Artifacts or coins  I found = 0
Hammered coins = 30 +

I also saw Casa dos walk over a manure covered path I'd walked across a dozen times with my DFX, he walked over it and pops out a Gold Noble - Why?    Because he swung his coil over the path and I didnt. (I dont like manure)

I've now got an etrac and last year I found a quarter of the hammered I found the previous year with my DFX. Why ?

Because last year i went out a quarter of the time I went out with my DFX.

So pop pickers whats the importance top 5 this week.

No. 1 - Pure Luck
No  2 - Time spent detecting
No. 3 - Relevant Land 
No. 4 - Machine Knowledge
No. 5 - Half decent machine

All the rest is Flim Flam from the manufacturers

noun, verb, -flammed, -flam·ming.  Informal . 
–noun
1. a trick or deception, esp. a swindle or confidence game involving skillful persuasion or clever manipulation of the victim.
2. a piece of nonsense; twaddle; bosh.
–verb (used with object)
3. to trick, deceive, swindle, or cheat: A fortuneteller flimflammed her out of her savings.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal