Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else experienced this?  (Read 2724 times)
Bob

« on: November 16, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »

Hi all,
On last Sat's rally, Cardiff East, I put four brand new Duracell batteries in my Minelab XTerra 705 and within 5 minutes of detecting on that field with the lumps in the detector switched itself off. I reset it all and tried again. A few minutes later it switched itself off again. I took the batteries out and checked them, they seemed ok. Put them back in and set off again. It switched itself off again and wouldn't restart. The battery pack I'd bought had 8 in so I changed the lot over and the detector worked fine all day. Now the box of the detector went back about a month ago because the bubble buttons had stuck down and I couldn't set anything. They changed the whole fascia. Now I'm worried incase it's not the batteries but the box playing up again. Anyone had the same fault?  Anyone ever had faulty Duracells? I tested them with a volt-meter and they seemed fine. I emailed Duracell for help and all they said in reply was they'd send me a voucher, thanks but it doesn't explain anything Sad
Cheers,
Bob
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:27:27 PM »

Are the original duracell flat Bob ?  If not try them again. If they're still doing it , its got to be the batts.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 12:30:50 PM »

i have an xterra 50 and i must say that i stopped using duracells as they didn't last as long as [would you believe it], the tesco specials.

[i too had the same issues as described above, with switch on and off]

cheers

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »

A couple of things spring to mind Bob, the first you have already experienced with the bubble switches on the fascia loosing their spring action. Next is that batteries do have a shelf life and naturally drain, but if you have tested them and they are showing charge then that's not it.
Finally, one thing I have often experienced and did again yesterday is, I had left the machine in the car overnight (same would apply to a shed or cold garage) and as the day warmed condensation forms inside the fascia and shorts the buttons out, turning the machine off. After a couple of hours of turning it back on, the condensation had dissipated and all was well from there on.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:28:21 AM »

my etrac has done this at the beach on night hunts.i thought it was just cos it needed a service.i have give it a good hammering lol

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:47:54 AM »

I know this doesn't answer the question but used re-chargeable in my 705 from day one. Re-charge after every hunt and never had a problem.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Mrs Steptoe

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 10:03:43 AM »

I have an X Terra 705 and the same thing happened to me on a rally a few weeks ago-new batteries and the machine died after a very short time.Switched off then on,same thing.Tested batteries with a small tester and they all seemed fully charged.Thought I'd have to go home.Last ditch effort,opened my last pack of four(different make) and-hooray! Had a great day's detecting.When I got home I tested those first batteries again and sure enough,two of them were only half strength.I'm not sure if they were Duracell,but I always check the dates on packs now and use Energizer ultimate batteries-last for ages.
Bob

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:06:30 AM »

@Tafflaff - Don't think they're flat, Rob. They were brand new and when tested with a voltmeter showed to be ok Sad

@Chef Geoff - They were fresh in Geoff. The detector was stored in my spare bedroom and was empty so no condensation Sad

@Mrs Steptoe - That's interesting, exactly the same fault. Perhaps I'll just change brand and see what happens. Good thing with Minelab is they have a 5 year guarantee Smiley

Thanks everyone for your input!
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 11:47:53 AM »

Know what you mean about new batts but can get expensive all the time.
These things are massed produced then stored for goodness knows how long and they do have a shelf life.
Even after leaving the factory storage they then sit on retail shelving for again for 'who knows' how much time.
A pack of four batteries can fail due to just one cell causing problems, so unless you have a battery tester with you its difficult to diagnose problems.

Rechargeable batts on the other hand are fresh every time you put them in (provided you've charged them of course).
It was routine to recharge all batteries the day before any event during my photographic career. Just peace of mind and knowing
that is one issue I won't have to worry about.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »

Well, I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  For those who use AA size,  get some ENELOOP rechargables. if you shop around they're cheap enough. iCell Media on Amazon are a good bet. They're brill and seem to last forever. Check them out.
Also, I've just bought a pack of 12 x 9v Energizer Industrial Long Life for £11.89 free post. That takes some beating. My local shop are selling Duracell for £4.25 each !!!! Rob Dogs.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Bob

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »

Update:
Just received £8 of vouchers from Proctor & Gamble today as
a token for the batteries failing on last Sat's rally.
Very kind of them but I still don't know the reason why I had
problems, just have to wait and see...
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 06:02:38 PM »

I can't comment as I just re-charge the on board lithiums every 3 sessions!  Grin

In the olden days I always had to carry spare batteries.  I couldn't use rechargeable in my V3
headphones as they needed 1.5v and rechargeables only pushed out 1.2v.

My XLT used to just switch off if it got too hot.

An I always had a spare pack for my Minelab plus kept AA's as a back-up.

Batteries and electronics can be very tempremental. As a rule, you get what you pay for with batteries
and I'm surprised that Duracells have let you down. They're normally one of the better brands.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal